PDA

View Full Version : Best upper for newb's

Window_Seat
01-31-2010, 2:03 PM
Hay all!

I did a search and found some similar threads, but still not sure of what to get for my complete Stag lower. I am ready for the upper, and have been looking mainly at the Stag uppers, but I want to hear from more experienced folks on what is better for someone new to this. Maybe there is more I can get that is better (for newbs) Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, if so, would appreciate a link. I am mainly looking to get no more than what I need that is typical for newbs.

Appreciated much.

Erik.

ChrisTKHarris
01-31-2010, 2:04 PM
What's your price range? Are you looking to purchase a complete upper?

aplinker
01-31-2010, 2:13 PM
I can give you the "stock answer" or you can tell us something about what you want the gun to do, what you will use it for, etc.

Just as suggesting everyone buy a Toyota Camry might work for most people (even with the baby-killing accelerator pedals) and everyone could make do, it's far better if we can tailor to your needs.

You might want to read through the thread in my signature.

Stock answer: BCM 16" mid-length

jaustin612
01-31-2010, 2:14 PM
If your new I'd keep it real simple, no spring loaded flip up sights or any foot long plus rails hanging off of it.

Start with either a 16 inch M4 Style flat top or a 20 inch full size govt. flat top.
Pick up a carrying handle and learn how to effectively use iron sights before you break the bank on some optics.

www.pkfirearms.com is a kickass site, everything they have up there is in stock
I have a 20" sabre defense that I ordered off of them. I slapped a Daniel Defense omega rail on it and haven't done anything else since, but am looking nice 3x9 or 4x12 to go on top of it. Bushmaster or DPMS are good as well. I think bushmaster has deals on that sight for m4/full size uppers with Knights rail systems installed in it already.

Thats all I can really say man is keep it simple.

sirnonz
01-31-2010, 2:15 PM
BCM or DD or Colt or Addax

Henry Hill
01-31-2010, 2:16 PM
I don't have much to compare to but I have a STAG 3H flat top on my first/only AR and I love it... No problems with it at all :D

ChrisTKHarris
01-31-2010, 2:19 PM
I can give you the "stock answer" or you can tell us something about what you want the gun to do, what you will use it for, etc.

Just as suggesting everyone buy a Toyota Camry might work for most people (even with the baby-killing accelerator pedals) and everyone could make do, it's far better if we can tailor to your needs.

You might want to read through the thread in my signature.

Stock answer: BCM 16" mid-length

A BCM came to my mind as well.

Shawn L
01-31-2010, 3:05 PM
I just purchased a CMMG from Marksarmory.com. I think he has one of each left. Pretty good deal for under $500.

http://www.marksarmory.com/6573.html

tomd1584
01-31-2010, 3:07 PM
just remember this: Buy once, Cry once.

Window_Seat
01-31-2010, 3:38 PM
What's your price range? Are you looking to purchase a complete upper?

1: No more than $700.00
2: Yes on the upper, complete that is.

For now (primarily), training & more training, learning as much about the AR-15 as I possibly can, and maybe bringing it to GSs when volunteering a CGF/N booth if it's prudent.

I don't have much to compare to but I have a STAG 3H flat top on my first/only AR and I love it... No problems with it at all :D

Bingo! That was what I was mainly looking at, but am still a bit doubtful if it's the right choice.

just remember this: Buy once, Cry once.

This is what I'm most concerned about, making the choice, then doing more research and discovering I made a dumb choice.

Thanks for the great replies, and KEEP 'EM COMING!!:cool:

One more DQ: Is there anything I should be watching out for as far as legalities? I have pretty much dissected the flowchart, am currently looking through the CA OLL Handbook (that i purchased at the GS) and looked through many threads, and have determined pretty much what I can and can't have when it comes to evils, mags & the BB, or do I need more "education"? I'm also just as concerned about someone with enough authority OZ enough to get a YKW with a big smile after seeing it. I think that this would be a nervous part of all newb's first AR.

Again, the threads I've seen are awesome for good answers, so thanks for these great forums!

Erik.

cheese
01-31-2010, 3:42 PM
If youre doing a lot of training id go with plinker's stock answer: BCM midlength

Harley
01-31-2010, 3:47 PM
1: No more than $700.00
2: Yes on the upper, complete that is.
BCM, Stag 2ht or RRA, preferably BCM, but you'll have to add a couple dollars for a complete with sites on the BCM but well worth it! :)

Trendkill
01-31-2010, 3:57 PM
If you want an upper that will consistently work at the range and for plinking without much trouble , get a Stag or a RRA.

If you want something that will handle hard abuse , and will leave zero thought in the back of your mind as far as reliability and SHTF functioning...??

BCM or Daniel Defense....

Dont leave yourself questioning your purchase later.

Jerkdog
01-31-2010, 5:21 PM
I just purchased a CMMG from Marksarmory.com. I think he has one of each left. Pretty good deal for under $500.

http://www.marksarmory.com/6573.html

+1 on Mark's Armory. I picked up a CMMG upper from him a little while back for like 5 hundo. I use it for plinking at the range. Runs like a champ.

turbochris
01-31-2010, 5:23 PM
for 700 you got alot of choices. id wait for a deal or sale here on cg

bigian
01-31-2010, 5:50 PM
I have this scheduled to arrive tomorrow...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20ddl12.htm

it is a little pricer but from everything Ive read and through the people Ive talked to it was the easiest answer. There are cheaper out there if you look around but I figure if Im willing to spend 700, why not a couple hundred more and have no regrets...

Trendkill
01-31-2010, 5:54 PM
Awesome choice....

ChrisTKHarris
01-31-2010, 5:57 PM

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20ddl12.htm

it is a little pricer but from everything Ive read and through the people Ive talked to it was the easiest answer. There are cheaper out there if you look around but I figure if Im willing to spend 700, why not a couple hundred more and have no regrets...

Good choice, the DD full length 12 rail is badass.

NiteQwill
01-31-2010, 6:15 PM

Great choice. I have the same upper... flawless.

To the OP: What is your budget?

osis32
01-31-2010, 6:19 PM
just make sure the barrel length is at least 16" with non permanent muzzlebrake/flash hider. if its less than that it has to be pinned or welded.

aplinker
01-31-2010, 6:52 PM
If you're serious about training, then buy a rifle that can handle it. Once you do, make sure you do all the little things that will keep it from going kaput (staking and/or loctite on everything).

In your shoes, I'd opt for the BCM mid-length. Stock answer works for you. :)

Go visit m4carbine.net and read, read, read. Calguns is full of gun owners/collectors/etc. m4carbine has a much higher population of gun users.

nrvnqsrxk
01-31-2010, 6:59 PM
I'll relay what has been recommended to me. Since BCM came out, that's what most people have been recommending for the price and value it offers. I'd get the basic upper w/ BCG (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm) with some basic hand guards and Troy Backup Iron Sights, assemble the rifle, and start shooting it. Then you can decide what you want to add further down the line to save yourself some money.

tacorican
02-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'm also looking for an upper in that price range. I really like the BCM 16" with the DD 12", however, after adding the BCG and charging handle, it puts me at over 1K. Are there any decent piston uppers in the 1200 range?

NiteQwill
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'm also looking for an upper in that price range. I really like the BCM 16" with the DD 12", however, after adding the BCG and charging handle, it puts me at over 1K. Are there any decent piston uppers in the 1200 range?
Any reason you want a piston over DI?

Addax makes some great piston uppers.

tacorican
02-04-2010, 10:54 PM
From what I've read, its cleaner than DI. Other than that, that's about it... Or should I spend 1200 on a decent DI?

flipstar
02-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah I'm thinking the same thing! I'm just starting to build my first AR and I'm going with a piston system for my upper! For that i'm leaning towards sabre industry they have new lines of gas piston products for 2010 but they are quite pricy but willing to go for it!

Flogger23m
02-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Something from the major brands will usually work fine.

I would not go with the absolute lowest end stuff though, they are cheaper for a reason.

Get something in the middle, like CMMG or Stag.

Then upgrade later if you want something better.

Acorn556
02-10-2010, 1:39 AM
I have a used RRA upper I bought off the EE on ar15.com. I think I paid $400 for everything. Hits 8" steel at 400 yards. Works for me and I've never cleaned it. Takes the abuse an AR15 can handle and keeps me shooting. I wouldn't worry about BCM vs RRA or DI vs. Piston if it's your first one. You don't know what "dirty" or "clean" is honestly. I don't think anyone will benefit from the piston upper except thinking that cleaning is easier. You have to break it down the same.

For the OP. I'd find an upper you feel comfortable spending the money on. 16" 14.5" 18" 24" whatever strikes your fancy. Maybe you have some preban magazines and want to be able to use them with your rifle. Maybe you've looked at the surfire muzzle brake and seen what it does for recoil. It's up to you. All firest the same ammo at the end of the day. More you spend on a upper leaves less for ammo to train.

PaperPuncher
02-10-2010, 8:32 AM
You really can't go wrong with the Stag. You can buy one and walk away without having to spend any more money to make shootable and you can do it in your budget. There are other options within your budget as well.

I beat the crap out of my Stag 2HTL never giving it any mercy. I have misfed a couple (literally) rounds during rapid fire over the the life of the rifle so far which is well over 5000 rounds and a few years. I will say I have seen many rifles form both ends of the price spectrum do this under those conditions so I do not hold against my rifle just because it is a Stag.

BCM is an option you will not be disappointed in as well. It will most likely cost you a little bit more than your intended budget (unless you catch a great sale and the item stays in stock long enough) but that is what BRD is about in the first place.

I do agree with the sentiment of "remember, buy once, cry once" which I did remember the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. time I put together a new AR, lol.

There are even some options well below your budget that will suit you fine. A buddy of mine just got his Del-Ton finished a few weeks back and had me help him sight it in. It functioned just fine with no problems. I was not impressed with the removable carry handle and there was some detailing that could have been done to remove casting marks from the front sight but other than the minor cosmetics it was a functioning rifle. I will say though that I am pretty decent shooter and could not get the rifle to group under 4" at 100 yards. This could be a product of the detachable carry handle sights or any combination of things like needing to break in, maybe not the best quality barrel, me having a bad day, etc.

Whatever you get it probably will not be your last so just enjoy your rifle.

cmace22
02-10-2010, 9:32 AM
Colt

BCM

LMT

Midlength over carbine, but there is nothing wrong with carbine.

pacrimguru
02-10-2010, 9:34 AM
if you want to start out by saving some money and really don't shoot all that much, i'd say go with a stag.

berto
02-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Read aplinker's thread link. It's got a wealth of info.

killshot44
02-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with a Stag upper to go with your lower. Spend the $300 you save over BCM on ammo and practice. YMMV.