PDA

View Full Version : Litigation in action: Milwauke warms to CCW

hoffmang
01-31-2010, 12:59 PM
The major opponents of shall issue CCW in Wisconsin are now making noises about compromising if they can get some other anti-gun wishes. Here is an editorial (http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/83069452.html) from the local rag supporting that compromise.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with WI Carry's litigation strategy with John Monroe from Georgia Carry. Their most recent case is discussed here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3619206

-Gene

BigDogatPlay
01-31-2010, 1:10 PM
The state should have this law if it is truly part of a larger package that includes closing the gun show loophole, making it a felony to act as a straw buyer and also a felony to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

So let me see if I have this straight.... the societal elites in Cheeseland will deign to let the serfs carry concealed if:

** A loophole that doesn't really exist is closed,
** Make what is already a felony (is it not under federal law?) some worse kind of felony, and,
** Make someone who happens to be legitimately outside their home, but not off their property, with a firearm sans permit (you know this is where that line of thought goes) a felon.

Oh sure... great trading material there. :)

But then there is this refreshing moment of clarity farther down the article.....

We know that those traditionally opposed to concealed carry fear that such a law will result in Wild West shootouts. There is little evidence that this is a widespread problem in those states with concealed carry.

Something must have gotten into the water.

Window_Seat
01-31-2010, 1:15 PM
I don't like their "requests" at all. It opens the door to too much abuse by OZ LEOs & Prosecutors for simple and honest mistakes, and felonizes those who already have felonies and who don't care about the next one.

Erik.

Meplat
01-31-2010, 1:34 PM
There is NO evidence spread wide or narrow.

So let me see if I have this straight.... the societal elites in Cheeseland will deign to let the serfs carry concealed if:

** A loophole that doesn't really exist is closed,
** Make what is already a felony (is it not under federal law?) some worse kind of felony, and,
** Make someone who happens to be legitimately outside their home, but not off their property, with a firearm sans permit (you know this is where that line of thought goes) a felon.

Oh sure... great trading material there. :)

But then there is this refreshing moment of clarity farther down the article.....

Something must have gotten into the water.

Maestro Pistolero
01-31-2010, 2:19 PM
NO. If a person has no criminal record, why should he be made a felon if his only sin is carrying the means to protect is life and the life of his family? Felons carrying guns, or persons using a gun in the commission of a felony are the only group who should be severely punished for carrying illegally. The others present no threat whatsoever to anyone.