PDA

View Full Version : How many Kaiser Defense lowers???

KALIDAWG8996
01-31-2010, 11:47 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows how many Kaiser Defense lowers(non cal-guns) were made before the company parted ways? IDK why i'm so fascinated with Kaiser D but, I just bought one of the lowers because I thought it would be an awesome "collector's item rifle" and a testament to good ol' California industrialization.:D

Cokebottle
01-31-2010, 12:03 PM
That is exactly why I broke the piggy bank to get one of the last CGN lowers.
A fine tribute to the hard work of the people of California, and IMHO, a very fitting note for the company to end on.

Actual non-CGN lowers? Thousands. There were somewhere around 700-800 CGN lowers made.
I honestly wouldn't expect any kind of collector value at all out of the non-CGN lowers. The only thing that made them unique was they were made in California, but so are the JD and a couple of others... and even that has no value outside of being a curio for Californians or others who have studied the OLL movement.
In the end, it's just a lower with a unique graphic... same as Spikes, Noveske, Mega, etc...

Even the CGN lowers probably won't have a lot of value in a few years. We might see a few show up on the marketplace being offered at a premium price, but the "gotta' have one" mob mentality will be gone inside of a year, and people who bought at the original price (over $200 OTD w/tax and fees) will be hard pressed to sell for more than $150.

Sinestr
01-31-2010, 1:05 PM
The made in Cali is what attracted me. In some small part it felt like I was putting it to the man when I bought one. :44:

The DRis
01-31-2010, 1:59 PM
Wait. What did miss? There is no more calguns kaiser lowers?

rolex87
01-31-2010, 2:00 PM
i enjoyed the made in CA and state outline on it. something the anti's would hate!!!

as for price, i wish i could have afforded two, but when i go 20" I will just go with another maker...

rolex87
01-31-2010, 2:01 PM

kaiser turned into jd machine. from what i saw the finish and fonts were the same, just different rollmarks

xibunkrlilkidsx
01-31-2010, 2:03 PM
talk to JD machine. they may still have some. i have seen them being sold for 80bucs at the gun shows recently.

Cokebottle
01-31-2010, 2:13 PM
Long gone.
JD took over the assets and remaining inventory of Kaiser products back in October or November.
The lowers were blown out at Riflegear and SoCal gun shows at $99.
Riflegear sold out a week or two before Christmas, JD sold out at about the same time.

There were one or two shops in Sacramento and the bay area that had a few left a month ago... I'm sure they're gone now.

JD currently has no plans on reviving the CGN engraving.
The whole point in the CGN lowers was to support CGF. $20 from each purchase was donated to the CGF by Kaiser. The original price was around $180, and in today's market, people would be screaming that it's overpriced.

Personally, if JD were to re-issue the CGN lowers, perhaps with a different design to maintain the collectability of the Kaiser CGN lowers, and increase the price to cover a CGF donation, I would gladly buy a couple.
Riflegear sells the JD lowers for $120... $140 would not be unreasonable at all to me, it's still under $180 OTD.

I really wanted a Bear lower to go with my state outline.

Kerplow
01-31-2010, 2:32 PM
haha, i bought my KD lower because it was on clearance for $90.

them fellers at JD machine are alright. :cool2:

slick_711
01-31-2010, 5:19 PM
Actual non-CGN lowers? Thousands. There were somewhere around 700-800 CGN lowers made.
I honestly wouldn't expect any kind of collector value at all out of the non-CGN lowers. The only thing that made them unique was they were made in California, but so are the JD and a couple of others... and even that has no value outside of being a curio for Californians or others who have studied the OLL movement.
In the end, it's just a lower with a unique graphic... same as Spikes, Noveske, Mega, etc....

What cracks me up is of the 6 rollmarks you mentioned only one of them came off a machine that wasn't owned and operated by Mr. J. D. :p

I overheard someone at the Costa Mesa show today ask Rob (of JD) if they were going to make any more CGNs lowers. He said it was something they were considering, but if they did it would be small batches as they got sold. They sat on a few hundred of the original CGNs lowers for months, and those were made when their machines were in demand for other things.

Give it a while, once Calguns gets some more new members and the demand starts to increase a bit I'd be surprised if they didn't turn out a batch. The problem with stuff like that is that everyone says "I'll take one" then they get made and only sell 1/4th of what was expected.

Cire 5th
01-31-2010, 5:28 PM
I missed out on these lowers, oh well. Going to get the JD ones.

turbochris
01-31-2010, 5:31 PM
does this mean they are going to be rare sought after items:D? I guess Ill hang on to the stripped lowers I have

Carnivore
01-31-2010, 6:02 PM
Bought 3 to build my babys an glad I did. FYI Riflegear is or was selling the JD ones for 99 bucks today at the show. Not sure if it was show price or if it continues on after.

Cokebottle
01-31-2010, 6:26 PM
Exactly... "everyone" wants one, but they don't want to cough up the dough.
When it's announced that there's no more, then everyone goes apesh-- grabbing what's left.

It's like owning a furniture store... the only way to stay in business is to have a "going out of business" sale... every week... like the store behind my place that's been around since before we moved here in '94 (same owners and staff).

KALIDAWG8996
02-01-2010, 9:57 AM
I just liked the factory design:) I could have easily gone with a spikes(2 so far) and spend less though...

sirnonz
02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
none of my local retailers have em so i couldn't get one..

Brenden619
02-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Hey guys, I too am looking to purchase one of these lowers in either the cali outline, or bear design. Im not really worried too much about paying a little extra for cali rep, and too keep the cops from trippin. Let me know if anyone wants to sell me one of theres, or if anyone knows where to get one. I know i can get a spikes tac, or jd or kd with no design for around 80-100, but would really like some cali style on my first purchase.

kf6tac
02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Ten Percent Firearms (tenpercentfirearms.com) is still listing the state outline lower on their site for $180.

and too keep the cops from trippin.

If an LEO is going to trip out over a black rifle, he's going to trip out regardless of what's stamped on your lower.

SgtJT27
02-02-2010, 3:28 PM
I sure got bit by the KD lower fever.