PDA

View Full Version : Del-Ton 16" DTI-4 Rifle

Touchdown456
01-31-2010, 11:20 AM
I went down to the Crossroads of the West gun show yesterday and got a pretty good deal on a Del-Ton 16" DTI-4 Rifle. Seeing how it's my first AR (well, I did have the Colt .22 M4), I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. The price was lower than any other AR at the whole show, so I started wondering about the quality. Initial searches online show that people think it's a fairly decent rifle.

Does anyone have any experience or time with a DTI? Heard anything about them at all?

Also, any advice for first time AR owner? Accessories to buy? Things to watch out for...etc?

Oh, and finally, where can I find cheap .223 ammo in Los Angeles, or where online can I buy that would ship to LA?

Thanks!

gun toting monkeyboy
01-31-2010, 11:38 AM
DTI is just fine for a hobby or plinking rifle. Their quality is just fine for that. It may not perform as well as some of the higher-end rifles out there, but most of us don't shoot at a level where we would notice the difference anyway. I have two Model 1 Sales rifles that are a bit lower on the food chain than DTI, and I have been perfectly happy with them. I don't plan on running any carbine courses with them, but for HD, plinking and zapping coyotes, they work just fine.

-Mb

bwolcott
01-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I went down to the Crossroads of the West gun show yesterday and got a pretty good deal on a Del-Ton 16" DTI-4 Rifle. Seeing how it's my first AR (well, I did have the Colt .22 M4), I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. The price was lower than any other AR at the whole show, so I started wondering about the quality. Initial searches online show that people think it's a fairly decent rifle.

Does anyone have any experience or time with a DTI? Heard anything about them at all?

Also, any advice for first time AR owner? Accessories to buy? Things to watch out for...etc?

Oh, and finally, where can I find cheap .223 ammo in Los Angeles, or where online can I buy that would ship to LA?

Thanks!

might I ask how much and from what company you bought it from?

juelz919
01-31-2010, 1:01 PM
I have a DTI M4 rifle and it's perfect.
the things i am about to buy will be.
Sling, Back Up Iron Sight.

TwitchALot
01-31-2010, 3:06 PM

Thanks!

A DTI is adequate for plinking. What do you plan on using it for?

As for advice- learn and understand the system, particularly if you plan on making any internal changes. As for "cheap" .223, I don't see any shipping restrictions from ATG (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/223-556-fmj-ammo) off the bat, so you may want to give them a try.

Koolpsych
01-31-2010, 3:55 PM
I personally own a M4 DTI and it works fine, I know it probably isn't the best quality and I wouldn't recommend taking the rifle to war and seeing exactly how far you can push it, but for taking it out to the range or using it to hunt it works fine.

As far as ammo is concerned, the cheapest you will find is at a gun show. If you can't make it to a gun show then I'd recommend buying online. You can try www.ammoengine.com or browse the boards for good deals.

racky
01-31-2010, 4:04 PM
i got a m4 dti. works fine. i've blaseted all kinds of rounds through it with no problems. pretty accurate. i'd trust my life to it.

railroader
01-31-2010, 5:38 PM
I have 2 DTI rifles. They run good with no issues. Mark

nemisis1400
01-31-2010, 6:10 PM
I've played around with a del-ton, haven't shot it a lot but no real problems after 290 rounds. saving up right now to buy nothing but ammo this year and then later do a 60,000 round stress test next year.

got me 10 rounds so far, just 59,990 left to go.

racky
01-31-2010, 6:13 PM
just to add to my previous post, i've shot roughly more than 2k rounds so far. only jams (2) i had were due to magazine tilt.

Touchdown456
01-31-2010, 8:42 PM
might I ask how much and from what company you bought it from?

Sure no problem - it was 799.00, and from ASI Arms in Huntington Beach. When I got home, I went online and saw Del-Ton was selling the same rifle for 750.00, but they don't sell to CA, so I figure it was still a decent deal.

And thanks to everyone for their input on the DTI. Being that it's my first real AR, I'm just going to be taking it to the range and so forth, so I'm glad to hear it should be just fine for that.