View Full Version : 5.7 uppers

01-31-2010, 9:36 AM
Did anyone buy one of these yet? I saw them at SHOT -- seems weird to only have a ten round mag with it -- I know Fort Courage in Simi is going to stock them.
Anyone shoot one? Have one?

01-31-2010, 10:28 AM
I'd like to get one just because I visit my dad in Texas and I can leave the hi-caps there. Without some chance to use a 50-round magazine, though, I don't see the point.

01-31-2010, 1:57 PM
There's one at METCO in Fairfield. I've played with it, but never shot one.

01-31-2010, 2:05 PM
ive seent he at a couple different dealers at gun shows. Cold War shooters has them and another one as well but i cant remember the name.

01-31-2010, 4:53 PM
I had one fun gun to shoot.

01-31-2010, 4:55 PM
ive seen a upper for sale here on cg...think rukus was selling it if I remember correctly. he may be able to chime inn on this topic

01-31-2010, 4:58 PM
I've got one and think it's very cool...you can run it on a featureless build and use the 30 or 50 round mags....that's what I do. I removed the included flash hider and installed a muzzle break and put it on a fixed-stock/solar tac grip sleeve lower.

It's cool because it operates on blow-back...no gas fouling in the BCG, so it's easy to clean, and the empties eject through the mag-well...if you're into reloading, you can fashion a brass catcher out of an empty 30-round mag body.

If you've got a Five Seven pistol, you can really rock out!!! :D

Rukus just had a great deal on one in the F/S forum, it's "SPF" so who knows, the deal might fall through....they pop-up once-in-a-while here on CG.

01-31-2010, 5:24 PM
Yeah I had one, to pair with my FN FiveseveN pistol. Honestly I never shot it, just set it up as a featureless build.

I loved the thought of pairing my pistol with my rifle ammo, but once I sold the pistol I had no real reason to keep the upper.

Interestingly enough though the 10 round magazines can be pretty easily converted to the 50 rounders for out of state use. They are dimensionally the same, the CA legal mags just use a plastic "limiter" that only allows 10 rounds to be loaded. Buy a spare and cut it down for out of state use. :D

Ammo was never really that hard to find, even in the darkest "obama-panic days" and it stayed at a pretty stable price.
Honestly I would buy another in a second if we ever get the silly magazine capacity laws tossed out.

Rule .308
01-31-2010, 5:59 PM
I own one but have yet to shoot it yet. You said you saw them at the Shot Show, did you get a chance to check out their different barrels that they had there for it? They had one that was helically fluted and while it looked cool enough it was mostly cosmetic as it did not remove enough material to drop the weight much, now the barrel with the straight/deep flutes, that sucker was nice, nice and light that is. The guy maning the booth said that ER Shaw is making there barrel and they have not been able to get large quantities out of them yet but they expect to this year, ummm good luck with that. If they are priced right I will surely pick up one of the fluted ones.

01-31-2010, 6:33 PM
The upper is a nice piece of work. I'd like to get one but 10rds in California with that thing would suck.
I highly doubt many Californians would jump at the upper due to the lack of legally owned standard capacity magazines.
I would highly doubt anybody's claim of legally owning standard capacity magazines unless they were an FFL/SOT type.

01-31-2010, 6:54 PM
Previous thread about the AR57 with video. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=174936&highlight=AR57)

02-03-2010, 7:38 AM
I had one till this happened:

There is no mechanism to hold the bolt in the receiver and if it falls out a distance of 3 feet onto a hard surface it can crack. 57 Center replaced it, no questions asked - but I wasn't confident in the platform after that.

02-03-2010, 7:59 AM
Include me in the group of owners that hasn't even fired my AR57 upper yet. I just received mine a couple weeks ago and have only fondled it not fired it yet. Mine came with 5 50-rd rebuild kits that I need to modify to 10 rounders as I'm not fortunate enough to be LEO or have any sort of high-cap permit that would legally allow me to assemble the mags in this state. Personally I am very impressed with the build quality of the upper. I was told they do not come with chrome-lined barrels, but from the looks of mine I think it is....I can see that the chamber is chromed and it appears that I can see a little chrome ring at the muzzle end. There is some evidence of the CNC machine marks on a few parts(little swirls) but honestly I feel like the monolithic rail on the AR57 is about equal quality with my Daniel Defense Omega 12-X FSP rail. Both feel very well made. The one thing I don't quite like is the charging handle....I like the shape, but there seems to be a nice amount of "wiggle" to it. Also would make more sense if it was on the left-side. Overall I am extremely happy with the apparent build quality. I am also confident in AR57center's customer service as these uppers have a lifetime warranty and I have heard nothing but good things regarding warranty service.

I ended up getting my AR57 upper from Palmetto State Armory. Had to ship them to a buddy in AZ who disassembled into mag kits for me. $705/shipped with five 50-round mags and 4 boxes(200rds) of SS197...killer deal!

*Edit* Also, another downside is you must use the included buffer for this upper. It wouldn't take long to swap, but it isn't plug-and-play. Also I'm pretty sure the brass will scuff your magwell if that bothers you.

02-03-2010, 8:59 AM
I've had one for maybe 9 months or so, it's a blast to shoot and a great conversation piece. Not one single malfunction with about 600 rounds of the basic (ss197?) stuff they sell at Cabela's (blue-tipped, v-max I think...)

They come with a carbine buffer however, and even though I always prefer featureless I REALLY prefer featureless with this upper, so you have to get a rifle length buffer or pin your carbine stock. You can get the rifle length buffer from the company that makes them (can't remember the brand off the top of my head, don't have the upper handy). I use an A2 stock, MMG, and I replaced the FH with a RRA Tactical muzzle brake for a 5.56 rifle. I'm just not convinced on the mag locks for these, don't like how they function personally.

GREAT upper though, and they make factory 10 round mags with the baseplate extended WAY through the mag body so that it can't be converted to a 50-rounder unless you buy another baseplate. For out of state, 50 rounds in these things should be a blast.