PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Cleaning for ARs

xLusi0n
01-31-2010, 3:04 AM
Do you guys use solvents to clean your AR barrels that are chrome lined? Or do you guys just use CLP? I've always cleaned my chrome lined ARs with just CLP and haven't given it a second thought. But my .308 precision rifles, I use a ritualistic practice of solvents...If you read cleaning tips for precision rifles (of any caliber) they seem to use solvents...but if oyu read cleaning tips for rifles such as M4s, its generally just CLP. Is it because of the chrome lining vs. stainless steel?

johnrunner89
01-31-2010, 3:35 AM
i just use a bore snake on my AR :p

BigAL
01-31-2010, 6:22 AM
No nothing special about chrome lining requiring CLP. I prefer non-toxic solvents because I clean indoors including Mpro-7 and Slip2000 725. CLP is kind of a jack of all trades. I'll use it in a pinch if that's all I got, but I prefer separate cleaning/lubing products.

shooterdude
01-31-2010, 6:43 AM
Chrome linings are nice because they are easy to clean. I use a bore snake and CLP on all my guns (even the non chrome lined) and they all shine. I was in a gun store one time when the counter clerk said that CLP won't clean, only lube and nothing replaces a purpose built solvent; another "expert" whose advice I shall not follow....

I clean my Beretta shotgun which has a chrome lined barrel this way and you should see all the black soot that comes out on the first pass through. By pass #3 it's all done. I am a fervent believer in the CLP/Boresnake cleaning method.

upinflames2400
01-31-2010, 6:53 AM
This is the cleaners i use. Best stuff every. Ill never use another brand again. https://www.kgcoatings.com/

CavTrooper
01-31-2010, 7:10 AM
CLP is good for knocking out some of the gunk but it doesnt clean like a good ol fashion solvent. If you think your barrel is clean after a few passes with a boresnake and CLP, get yourself some Montana Extreme bore cleaner of similar quality product and you will be shocked and amazed at what kind of fouling is actually in there.

rabagley
01-31-2010, 7:18 AM
CLP is a jack-of-all-trades product that is a good-enough cleaner, and is an okay multipurpose lubricant (when reapplied frequently) and protector. It's main advantage is that it comes in one bottle and the military doesn't want to ask servicemen to learn any elaborate rituals to clean their service weapons. The chrome lined chamber and barrel helps with the cleaning by making most fouling easier to remove, so the fact that CLP isn't that great of a cleaner doesn't hurt you as much.

If you're not in combat conditions, and you know how to clean a rifle, buy products that will quickly remove fouling and take your time with your rifle. I highly recommend Wipe Out foam (http://www.eabco.com/WipeOut.htm) for cleaning.

For lubricating, I recommend a good grease on sliding parts and a good oil on rotating parts. Grant Cunningham says it better than I'm going to (http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html), and after following his advice and getting Lubriplate grease and oil, I couldn't be happier. As easier to find but still excellent alternatives, lithium grease in a spray can is a nice light color and is a better grease for sliding gun parts than bearing grease. As for the oil, ATF is one of the best possible lubricants in the right viscosity range for rotating parts.

The best part about these gun lubricants? It will cost you $7.00 at AutoZone or Kragen for a lifetime supply of both.

NRAhighpowershooter
01-31-2010, 7:56 AM
Kroil

Greg-Dawg
01-31-2010, 7:59 AM
I start off with MPro7 which is water based and end with CLP, oil based.

I'll clean my rifle in the next couple of weeks, don't feel like it now.

B Strong
01-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Powder Blast on the chamber end, then a guide in the receiver and Mpro on a patch. Repeat until the patch is clean, or if it's a heavy session (over 500 rounds) I might have to use a brush a bit. I use the boresnake to finish off the cleaning.

I keep a boresnake in the rifle case with a spray bottle of MPro.

If I need to clean if the field, that will keep the rifle running.

vinny_land
01-31-2010, 2:03 PM
MPro7 with Hoppes on standby when MPro isnt available.

tomd1584
01-31-2010, 2:11 PM
I just use a boresnake and Slip2000 about every 1,000 rounds...

There are guys that go thousands of rounds without cleaning a CL barrel...

xLusi0n
01-31-2010, 9:53 PM
What about your precision rifles or bolt action rifles...do you do anything different for the barrels?

aplinker
01-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Cleaning? What's that?

5150bronco
01-31-2010, 11:54 PM
solvent is fine and what I have used for colt barrel.

Evo
02-01-2010, 12:28 AM
What about your precision rifles or bolt action rifles...do you do anything different for the barrels?

Slip 2000 EWL for cleaning out carbon and lubing and Boretech Cu2+ for copper. They're both amazing after getting out the majority of the carbon with the EWL and a bronze brush just run a few patches of Cu2+ through your barrel and leave it for a few hours, the copper just dissolves away and it's completely bore safe, blew my mind the first time I used it.

Both are environmentally safe and non toxic so you can do it in your house and your family won't get cancer.

SanSacto
02-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Shooters Choice

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_220744_imageset_01?$main-Large$

ChrisTKHarris
02-01-2010, 1:07 AM
I also use a Bore Snake and Hoppes solvent.

5150bronco
02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
i wonder what the inside of barrel is for colt? hope I am using right solvent (hoppes).