PDA

View Full Version : LMT MRP Upper

Locknezzie
01-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Can you use any barrel with a MRP or does it have to be a barrel made for the MRP system by LMT?

aplinker
01-31-2010, 12:23 AM
LMT only.

LMT makes excellent barrels, but you are limited to what they make.

Locknezzie
01-31-2010, 6:05 AM
Thanks a lot. I am trying to make up my mind between a Larue, Novseke, and LMT. For that much money I really like the LMT. Not that there is anything wrong with the other 2, I just thought it was really cool how easy it is to swap barrels.

Thanks for the help :)

HkUSP45
01-31-2010, 6:24 AM
SPikes tactical have some conversion barrels specifically for the MRP.

Group B
01-31-2010, 7:56 AM
SPikes tactical have some conversion barrels specifically for the MRP.

Only in .22lr, no?

X-NewYawker
01-31-2010, 8:20 AM
Thanks a lot. I am trying to make up my mind between a Larue, Novseke, and LMT. For that much money I really like the LMT. Not that there is anything wrong with the other 2, I just thought it was really cool how easy it is to swap barrels.

Thanks for the help :)

Swap barrels and CALIBERS. you can do 223, 6.8 SPC and 204 Ruger...

MrNiceGuy
01-31-2010, 9:39 AM
Keep in mind on the LMT MRP platform, you can only swap to "gas piston" on the "CQB" length and NOT the "rifle" length.

Sniper3142
01-31-2010, 10:15 AM
If you're looking for a monolithic upper that will accept any barrel, I'd look at the newly release Mega Monolithic uppers.

The carbine and pistol length ones are available now and the rifle length ones show be released soon.

http://www.megamachineshop.com/armsnews.php

X-NewYawker
01-31-2010, 10:39 AM
If you're looking for a monolithic upper that will accept any barrel, I'd look at the newly release Mega Monolithic uppers.

The carbine and pistol length ones are available now and the rifle length ones show be released soon.

http://www.megamachineshop.com/armsnews.php

This is not a "quick change" barrel swap like the MRP -- you have to deal with the problems of various barrel manufacturers having head space concerns, etc. Has anyone seen how to tighten the barrel nut inside the upper?

MRP barrels

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/lmtbbls.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/LMTgaspistonparts.jpg

I'd have to see if it was as efficient a system as the LMT...

supermario
01-31-2010, 11:11 AM
I think the LMT is the way to go, you just gotta decide if you want gas piston or D.I. Once i have enough $ i am going with the LMT MRP rifle length. I think they are nicest looking uppers:) And i was told by many on here that they have great barrels.

xaaronx
01-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Get the MRP and buy LMT barrels. I love mine, and it would take seconds to swap a barrel.

DanHuuN
01-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Lets just say I own 3 LMT MRP rifles and I have their 306 MRP on the way<----OOps I mean 308

Locknezzie
01-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone you guys helped me make my decision. So does anyone know how long it takes to get a MRP upper? What is the 306?

IsaacGlass
01-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks everyone you guys helped me make my decision. So does anyone know how long it takes to get a MRP upper? What is the 306?

It's a typo he meant 308 MRP

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/01/18/lmt-mrp-308-rifle/

aplinker
01-31-2010, 1:08 PM
Mega uses a special tool to "get inside" down the front and attach. From what I understand it's similar to the KAC URX.

There are no headspace concerns with upper/barrel mating, as the headspace is set solely by the barrel extension and bolt.

This is not a "quick change" barrel swap like the MRP -- you have to deal with the problems of various barrel manufacturers having head space concerns, etc. Has anyone seen how to tighten the barrel nut inside the upper?

MRP barrels

I'd have to see if it was as efficient a system as the LMT...

Sniper3142
01-31-2010, 2:20 PM
Mega uses a special tool to "get inside" down the front and attach. From what I understand it's similar to the KAC URX.

There are no headspace concerns with upper/barrel mating, as the headspace is set solely by the barrel extension and bolt.

And while this isn't as quick changeable as the LMT MRP, it offers other advantages over the LMT.

Does LMT make MRP barrels in the following calibers?
- 6.8 SPC II
- 6.5 Grendel
- 458 Socom
- 450 Bushmaster

With the Mega upper, as long as you can don't need a special barrel extension, you can eaisly use any barrel available. I was all ready to buy an LMT MRP (actually had one on order) until I learned about the Mega. Now I'm waiting to see how they stack up in the real world.

Locknezzie
01-31-2010, 5:25 PM
Thanks for the info, I saw a you tube video at shot show 2010 that shows Mega Arms installing a barrel. It is indeed worth looking into. I guess I need to think about this a little more. Thanks again for all the great info. :)

HkUSP45
01-31-2010, 6:22 PM
Only in .22lr, no?

And a short production run of 9mm.

aplinker
01-31-2010, 6:41 PM
There's just no way I would every swap calibers, unless the rig were field swappable.

Even with an MRP I'd maybe change once or twice, ever.... Just as a chance to fill a gap in the quiver. Most of the people I know with MRPs don't swap, or maybe did once.

I honestly get the appeal, but I think sometimes people don't really think it through. We love the idea of features far more than actually using them. It's the classic case of, "That sounds great... on paper."

And while this isn't as quick changeable as the LMT MRP, it offers other advantages over the LMT.

Does LMT make MRP barrels in the following calibers?
- 6.8 SPC II
- 6.5 Grendel
- 458 Socom
- 450 Bushmaster

With the Mega upper, as long as you can don't need a special barrel extension, you can eaisly use any barrel available. I was all ready to buy an LMT MRP (actually had one on order) until I learned about the Mega. Now I'm waiting to see how they stack up in the real world.

X-NewYawker
02-01-2010, 6:04 AM
There's just no way I would every swap calibers, unless the rig were field swappable.

Even with an MRP I'd maybe change once or twice, ever.... Just as a chance to fill a gap in the quiver. Most of the people I know with MRPs don't swap, or maybe did once.

I honestly get the appeal, but I think sometimes people don't really think it through. We love the idea of features far more than actually using them. It's the classic case of, "That sounds great... on paper."

It's like the thompson/center contender -- you buy a frame and few calibers -- and then you end up getting more frames so you DON't have to switch. The idea of getting four different calibers and switching the barrel all the time sound tedious, not exciting. Probably could get complete uppers in 458 whatever instead.