PDA

View Full Version : Microstamp hearing Sacramento Feb 17 state capital.

nicki
01-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Okay everyone, I redid this because I felt we needed a quick poll to guage support from us.

You are needed in Sacramento on Feb. 17th!
Mark Your Calendars!
Who: CA Brady Campaign members, friends, and supporters
What: Public Hearing on Microstamping Regulations
When: Wednesday, February 17th, 9 a.m.
Where: Department of Water Resources Auditorium http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Sa...eocode=ADDRESS
1416 9th Street, Sacramento, CA
Nearest Parking Garage: Corner of 10th & L Streets

I realize that many can't make it, but those of us who can make it can use the support of the board on the problems with microstamping.

I am going to make a few requests.

One, take the poll, we need to know how much support we will have.

Two, if you know problems with the microstamping, share them with us, break the problems down to LAY PERSON's TERMS.

Three, if you are going to go to the hearing, try to arrive 15 to 30 minutes early. Many of us have never met, this gives us a opportunity to try to coordinate our comments.

Forth, the bill has already passed, the issues will come down to how to implement the regulations. This is where we have fun, for example.

IMHO the fact that law enforcement got an exemption is insane because
if the technology is feasable and works to where evidence gathered from a microstamped gun would meet rules of evidence, then why are law enforcement agencies exempt?

It would seem to me that it would be easier to preserve the crime scene and maintain chain of evidence if we could isolate which officer shot which rounds and from where.

Nicki

bwiese
01-31-2010, 9:38 PM
First, according to everything we have been hearing from the "right people" here, microstamping can't be implemented for many years anyhow, since the underlying technology is encumbered by patents. So why are we even worried about the regulations that implement it, if it is already DOA? Either it is a lot less DOA then we've been made to believe, or there is no need to attend the regulatory hearing.

Procedures have to be followed.

Wny have to go to a patent war or let things progress to a point where more efforts are required?

A regulatory agency can 'go wild' with underground law, and it's important to get matters on record about the problems, with these issues being voiced by a wide variety of competent folks.

The audience of such a hearing are DoJ attorneys and firearms experts who are going to write the regulation. Why break it down into lay person's terms, if instead we should explain ot in legal terms?

There will be regulatory folks there with skill sets not any better than avg Calgunners.

I'd bet "the lawyer" will likely not be there given the audience balance.
She did not show at the Aug 2006 'detachable magazine' regulatory hearing either.

The bill has already passed, and LEAs are already exempt. Nothing in any regulation can make them more or less exempt at this point. Complaining about the exemption at the regulatory hearing ....or taint the comments as irrelevant.

Absolutely.

At the 2006 regulatory hearing, we had one guy yammer about the 2nd amendment. Fortunately the room was full of other people who "got it" and attacked the problem at hand.

and can only serve to aggravate the regulating agency,

That often can be very very useful, though not at this particular time.
Pain thresholds can keep things off agendas, etc.

You're probably coming to this with a more European viewpoint.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
02-17-2010, 10:45 AM
I just wanted to remind everyone that the public comment period for the proposed microstamping regulations ends today at 5:00p.m. I know everyone is jaded by government officials who ignore your wishes (i.e., Oakland). But it takes just a few seconds to send an e-mail to: jeff.amador@doj.ca.gov and tell DOJ to stop wasting taxpayer money. And in this case, your comments are made part of the record in any possible future challenge to the regulations. If you want to attend the hearing, the information is above in Nicki's post.

Additionally, if anyone is interested in reading the letter our office prepared on behalf of the NRA in opposition to the proposed regulations, it is available here: http://www.calgunlaws.com/images/stories/Docs/MicrostampingRegs/opposition%20letter%20to%20proposed%20regulations% 20for%20microstamping_02.15.10.pdf

There is also an article explaining what the DOJ is up to with respect to these regulations on www.calgunlaws.com

jdberger
02-17-2010, 11:18 AM
I just wanted to remind everyone that the public comment period for the proposed microstamping regulations ends today at 5:00p.m. I know everyone is jaded by government officials who ignore your wishes (i.e., Oakland). But it takes just a few seconds to send an e-mail to: jeff.amador@doj.ca.gov and tell DOJ to stop wasting taxpayer money. And in this case, your comments are made part of the record in any possible future challenge to the regulations. If you want to attend the hearing, the information is above in Nicki's post.

Additionally, if anyone is interested in reading the letter our office prepared on behalf of the NRA in opposition to the proposed regulations, it is available here: http://www.calgunlaws.com/images/stories/Docs/MicrostampingRegs/opposition%20letter%20to%20proposed%20regulations% 20for%20microstamping_02.15.10.pdf

There is also an article explaining what the DOJ is up to with respect to these regulations on www.calgunlaws.com

Sean, I realize that you're busy, but in the future, would it be possible for you to post the text of your letters (or attach a .pdf) of them in the thread? There are some of us who are firewalled at work and can't get to the calgunlaws.com site. It would make our lives so much easier.

Thanks for all that you do.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
02-17-2010, 11:29 AM
After your performance last night before the Oakland City Council, Mr. Berger, how could I refuse? Very well done. Below please find attached the requested letter. And again, please everyone e-mail the DOJ and oppose these regulations.

Tweak338
02-17-2010, 11:31 AM
JD, Just uploaded it as an attachment for the ones who are blocked.

Edit: Sean beat me
Reading the letter now