View Full Version : .308 Semi-Auto

01-30-2010, 9:38 PM
I'm looking at getting a new rifle when my taxes come in and was thinking about either the Saiga or the Henderson Defense G3. They are both around the same price and was wondering if you guys had any personal experiences with either and which one you would choose and why. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

01-30-2010, 10:28 PM
No experience with either specific model, but I have the platform experience with another manufacturer(s).
I'd go with the HK Clone since the magazines are very cheap and plentiful. The Saiga .308 is a good gun too, but the magazines are more expensive. You'd also have a better shooter in the HK clone because of the sights, free float barrel, and action.

01-31-2010, 6:21 AM
Having owned an M1a I can tell you that shooting 7.62x51 (.308) is an expensive way to go for a range toy. Good luck staying on target if you rapid fire. Just my experience, YMMV.

01-31-2010, 6:51 AM
I would get some other caliber if you want constant range gun or you wont be able to shoot it a lot or very often. 308 ammo is expensive right now.

As much as I like AKs the G3 woudl be my choice between the two you want.
if you want a plinker get yourself a SKS. STILL fairly low priced and ammo is still relaitvely cheap. I live my SKS. I think I shoot that more than my M14

01-31-2010, 4:59 PM
Thanks guys but I already have other caliber rifles, (Sig556, Saiga 7.62x39, GSG-5), and now I am interested in adding a .308 semi-auto rifle to my collection. Out of the two, what would you pick and why. Even if just to kill zombies. Thanks

01-31-2010, 5:02 PM
I really enjoyed shooting my freinds Saiga 308....its a good shooter.

01-31-2010, 5:03 PM
Thanks guys but I already have other caliber rifles, (Sig556, Saiga 7.62x39, GSG-5), and now I am interested in adding a .308 semi-auto rifle to my collection. Out of the two, what would you pick and why. Even if just to kill zombies. Thanks

Id probably go for the g3 cause I always wanted one. thats if I really had to choose. but if I were you Id save that money and get something better. maybe m1a,fal or build a ar10

01-31-2010, 5:23 PM
I have a Saiga .308 and everybody enjoys shooting it. I've shot a variety of cheap (relatively, it's all expensive) ammo, brass and steel, with no problems.

01-31-2010, 6:12 PM
The G3 type is my favorite .308 for a few reasons. Super reliable, ease of takedown, fluted chamber, positive ejection (so strong it dings the brass), superb accuracy, brand new $4 factory HK magazines, & price. The M1A is great due to it's accuracy & low profile to own & shoot in CA. The FAL is also great due to its reliability & good accuracy. I'm not a big fan of the AR10 style rifles. The Saiga is based off an AK. I have a Vector AK & it's the most inaccurate rifle I own. I have no experience with the Saiga otherwise but the price sure is great on them. I'm sure you'll hear many pro's & con's to them all.

01-31-2010, 6:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys....

01-31-2010, 6:42 PM
I really like the HK roller locking platform, but I would hesitate to buy anything not manufactured by either HK or PTR. HK clones have gained a pretty bad rep over the years from several companies putting out sub standard products. Seems like only real HK's, and for the most part PTR's have been trouble free. Check into the Henderson Defense rifle and see if you can find out who makes their receivers and barrels.

The Saiga is a pretty good rifle from the examples I've seen, and typically more accurate than it's AK-47 cousins. I've witnessed a scoped version hitting steel at 1000 yards (not as regularly as a good bolt gun, but often enough to surprise me).

Between the Henderson G3 and the Saiga, I'd probably go with the Saiga simply due to knowing the origins of all of it's components. If it were a toss up between a Saiga and a PTR though, definitely the PTR.

01-31-2010, 7:36 PM
The henderson Defense G3's are CETME. My Saiga 7.62 has never had 1 problem and I would expect the .308 vesrion to be just as reliable, but I have no experience with the CETME and was just wondering how the two compare

West coast
01-31-2010, 7:41 PM
M1A or a PTR91. They are both in 308cal.

01-31-2010, 7:47 PM
^ I think the Siaga is a lot less.

one thing for sure, .308 runs about $1/squeeze for factory, $0.45 for surplus... so about twice what .223 is... but for going past 3-400 yards .308 rocks

personalty, I like the AR10, however have you considered a bolt gun? a rem 700 and put the extra money in a nice scope? glass makes the gun + bolts don't chew up brass as much as semi's and you can load them to higher pressures

just my $.02

01-31-2010, 7:51 PM
I had fun shooting my 1919 this weekend. G-3is fun as well. I have had no problems with it.