PDA

View Full Version : Trying to upgrade to Win7

Rob454
01-30-2010, 8:59 PM
I try to upgrade and I downloaded all the crap it wanted me to download and I open up the toshiba upgrade assistant have the upgrade disc in and it does a little scan thing and

a window pops up and Failed to verify the integrity of CAT file.

WTF is a CAT file and how do I make it so it sees it.

This computer is basically 2 months old. I hate Vista. I really do.

choprzrul
01-30-2010, 9:13 PM
I went through a Toshiba Vista-7 upgrade about 3 weeks ago. Biggest upgrade pain that I have experienced to date. Without having it in front of me, it is hard to make a definitive statement on how to proceed. Read the messages very carefully and follow their directions to the letter.

I did find this nugget on a Google search: Same problem for me too. I took a very long time to upgrade after purchasing my Toshiba laptop in Aug 2009.

According to Ask Iris on the Toshiba Support website:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/outFrm.jsp?ofId=AskIris&searchString=failed+to+v...

You have to click the first entry in the link above (the one that addressess various Error messages encountered while upgrading to Windows 7) scroll down almost to the bottom of the post. You will find:

"Message Displayed:
Failed to verify the integrity of CAT file.

Resolution:
The binary file has been tampered with. Uninstall The Toshiba Upgrade Assistant. Download The Toshiba Upgrade Assistant and run the setup.exe again"

Needless to say, I did this several times before finally calling Toshiba Tech support at (800) 457-7777. I pressed the appropriate options and spoke to someone in Toshiba laptop support, explained the problem, and was bumped up to a more senior technician. I thought I was going to perform a "clean install" on my laptop itself, but the technician asked to call back Monday between 8-5 and speak to a Case Manager to get a new copy of the Toshiba upgrade DVD for Windows 7. So, I will have to call this week, ask them to send me a new upgrade DVD, and try to install that way.

Good luck, hope this helps.

CSDGuy
01-30-2010, 9:28 PM
Haven't done any Toshibas... but I have found that if you turn off non-MS services and start-up programs and reboot, you basically put the system into a state where the upgrade only has to "think about" MS stuff. Since you're having CAT file problems, you might have to get a new disk from Toshiba as choprzrul did.

Good Luck. I run Win7 on my computers at home, the upgrade went really easy when I turned off all the non-MS stuff prior to the upgrade. To go any further in the non-MS stuff would have been to boot into safe-mode and do an upgrade from that... which probably wouldn't have been ideal.

And no, I'm not a tech...

Ricky-Ray
01-31-2010, 9:46 PM
Buddy of mine had the same problem on his HP laptop. Couldn't get the upgrade to work, he finally asked if I could look at it. I took a look at it and there were ton's of smudge marks on his CD. Cleaned it off and the install went without a hitch.

Not saying that's your problem but that's how it worked out for me.

Rob454
01-31-2010, 9:51 PM
Update.

Well it ends up that some of the upgrade DVDs have some sort of problem.
I gotta cal mondayand get a newer version

f33dback
02-12-2010, 2:18 AM
11 years of experience tells me "never do an upgrade of Windows always erase and install" not that helpful now, but 1 other thing to add to that *always* back up the data you care about, erase and install is not that much of an issue at that point.
CAT files or .cat are simply catalog files, if you get that error you mentioned it is most likely a failure of the software to verify the sigs on said files.
One warning about erase and install is that some hardware may not be detected correctly, or there will be no drivers for said hardware/OS.
If toshiba has a driver page for win 7 on that hardware platform burn them to disk then do an erase and install.
Welcome to the world of proprietary soft/hardware.
If you're just surfing the web and getting email then try Linux (Ubuntu is user friendly)

Hozr
02-16-2010, 8:49 AM
I agree ^^^. Clean install is the way to go. I upgraded my vista and 3 weeks later after a MASSIVE failure and 5 days of work I recovered most files and had to reformat anyways. External hd's are cheap. Copy the files you want then erase that sucker!

Blackhawk556
02-18-2010, 10:04 PM
i always do clean installs saves me from the type of pains you are having rightnow

i have a copy of windows 7 professional but i can make of copy of home premium from it if you or anyone else needs one. actually you can make a copy of any version of windows 7 from any disk you have. just remember the product key is what you will need at the end to activate your product