PDA

View Full Version : question about adjusting the front sight

Low-Pressure
01-30-2010, 8:54 PM
I'm getting my AR and other stuff I need ready for next week. Going to be the 1st time out at the range with my 1st AR. I have a MI front sight and purchased a front sight tool from Ammo Bros. Well today I decided to try out the tool. Turns out that it doesnt fit, the tube with the prongs diameter is smaller than the sights. Do I need to purchase another front sight tool (MI specific tool)? I told the guys at Ammo Bros that I had a MI front sight, and they sold me a DPMS A2 sight tool. thanks

Army
01-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Likely the center hole is too small for the sight post. Slightly reaming it out will give a better fit.

I simply force mine down into the sight grooves.

Low-Pressure
01-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Likely the center hole is too small for the sight post. Slightly reaming it out will give a better fit.

I simply force mine down into the sight grooves.

sight post hole is fine, but the tools diameter is small, the prongs doesnt meet the grooves :mad:

Army
01-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Well, that's just plain sucky machine work then

Richie Caketown
01-30-2010, 10:58 PM
have u tried using a 223 bullet or a spent casing with a slight bend in it?

BigAL
01-31-2010, 6:26 AM
I've always used a bullet tip for my standard front sights. If you don't like the copper marks it leaves you can just use some solvent and it should come right off.

Low-Pressure
01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
have u tried using a 223 bullet or a spent casing with a slight bend in it?
yup done that. i guess i just wanted it to be a little easier, thats the reason i bought the right tool. turns out the right tool had to be modified to work. sucks when these manufacturers put in too much work on the design and turns out they are crap (checked a few feedbacks on the item.... 3 out of 5 is bad).

smoothy8500
01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
In a pinch I have bent a paperclip to use as the prong. It's the right diameter to push down the detent pin.