PDA

View Full Version : Can we get a sticky directing newbies to the FAQ?

Lone_Gunman
01-30-2010, 6:34 PM
As much as I enjoy DedEyes posts linking to the FAQ is there any way we can get a sticky in most of the forums (especially in the 2A, rifles, and handguns forums? I know most people don't read the stickys but if it prevented even just a few posts asking the same question for the 100th time it would be worth it. Also the FAQ needs to be easier to find from the CGF front page. Keep up the good work DedEye.

Also this prob belongs in the suggestions forum but it seems all of the movers and shakers here hang out in 2A.

-LG

DedEye
01-30-2010, 6:36 PM
As much as I enjoy DedEyes posts linking to the FAQ is there any way we can get a sticky in most of the forums (especially in the 2A, rifles, and handguns forums? I know most people don't read the stickys but if it prevented even just a few posts asking the same question for the 100th time it would be worth it. Also the FAQ needs to be easier to find from the CGF front page. Keep up the good work DedEye.

Also this prob belongs in the suggestions forum but it seems all of the movers and shakers here hang out in 2A.

-LG

On the blue bar at the top of the page, to the right of "User CP" and the left of "Member List" is a link to FAQ.

It does not link to the Wiki FAQ.

It should.

I hate you (generic).

SixPointEight
01-30-2010, 6:39 PM
Lol. It won't work. I think it will stop 0 posts, but I agree that the FAQ link should go to the Wiki.

GrizzlyGuy
01-30-2010, 6:48 PM
On the blue bar at the top of the page, to the right of "User CP" and the left of "Member List" is a link to FAQ.

It does not link to the Wiki FAQ.

It should.

I hate you (generic).

LOL! Worse yet, the search page that the "FAQ" link goes to (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/faq.php) doesn't work.

The page it goes to is faq.php. If someone could modify that page and insert a redirect command to the FAQ page, that would be a huge improvement. If the site were hosted on Windoze, I could make the mod myself. Unfortunately I don't know PHP syntax, but I suspect it wouldn't be rocket science.

P.S. - Before you hate me some more, note that I added a new section to the FAQ this morning (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#What_about_ammunition_and_reloading_supplies.3 F). :D

Lone_Gunman
01-30-2010, 6:50 PM
Theoretically it could work if they made an announcement for the sticky like they do from time to time. It seems like you see the announcement first as the page is loading. Have it say: Have a question? Click here first.

or something like that.

DedEye
01-30-2010, 6:52 PM
LOL! Worse yet, the search page that the "FAQ" link goes to (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/faq.php) doesn't work.

The page it goes to is faq.php. If someone could modify that page and insert a redirect command to the FAQ page, that would be a huge improvement. If the site were hosted on Windoze, I could make the mod myself. Unfortunately I don't know PHP syntax, but I suspect it wouldn't be rocket science.

P.S. - Before you hate me some more, note that I added a new section to the FAQ this morning (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#What_about_ammunition_and_reloading_supplies.3 F). :D

I noticed. Thank you. I do not hate you right now and you're currently my favorite person of the day.

Is anyone still checking the G Wave on the FAQ?

csarel
01-30-2010, 6:53 PM
It's almost a right of passage or something to be "hated" isn't it? :D

DedEye
01-30-2010, 6:53 PM
It's almost a right of passage or something to be "hated" isn't it? :D

I hate you for asking that.

Welcome to the club. Start linking people to the FAQ.

Lone_Gunman
01-30-2010, 6:55 PM
It's even better to be currently the favorite person of the day. I was once. For about 10 minutes.

csarel
01-30-2010, 6:56 PM
I hate you for asking that.

Welcome to the club. Start linking people to the FAQ.

Yes Sir! I will. And thank you!

sfpcservice
01-30-2010, 7:40 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a dupe, but I just found out about HR 45..........

ALSystems
01-31-2010, 6:51 PM

GrizzlyGuy,

I do know enough php to write the file you need. :cool:

Here is a php file that will redirect you to the Calguns wiki FAQ:

Use a text editor and copy and paste the below text to create a text-only file called 'faq.php' :TFH:

<?php
// faq.php
// This is the return URL
$returnURL = "http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ";

// You shouldn't need to edit below this line
// ---------------------------------------------

// go to return URL
if (isset($returnURL)) {
header("Location: $returnURL");
exit();
}

?>

Upload this in the appropriate place and the FAQ section will finally actually work

This is a generic php file which can easily be modified for other sections of the menu that need a new link using php.

GrizzlyGuy
01-31-2010, 7:04 PM
GrizzlyGuy,

I do know enough php to write the file you need. :cool:

Here is a php file that will redirect you the Calguns wiki FAQ:

Wow, that's cool, nice work! You write code like I do (defensively): even though you just set the value of a variable, there's no harm in making sure it is still set at execution time. :D

I'm not an admin or a mod, so maybe you could PM Kestryll or whoever does the IT management for the site and suggest that your change be implemented. If they are running a dedicated instance of the software vs. a shared instance, it should be doable.

ALSystems
01-31-2010, 7:32 PM
PM sent to Kestryll

I hope this gets implemented so all the work going into the FAQ section is easily available to users. It should be part of the top menu of calguns.net