View Full Version : Newbie here.....first AR build.

01-30-2010, 5:26 PM
First off, what a great site! I gotta say I learned a boat load in these past two days just reading old post. But I still have a few question if you guys will bare with me.

I am new to the AR world (definitely not to firearms) and I need a little guidance on my build. I purchased two striped lowers recently (S&W, Mega) and can't decided on where to start and what to get or stay away from.

I plan on building both lowers but one at a time. I don't plan on hunting with it, just range time and when SHTF (obviously very little chance of that happening). I want to order the lower parts kit, grip, and stock for now. This way I can save money and get a higher grade upper instead of a mid level one now. What would you guys suggest?

My biggest concern for the LPK is a crappy trigger (can't stand rifles with horrible triggers, who can?), other than that I think grip and stock are fairly universal for my intended use, right?

Sorry for the newb questions, there are just so many manufacturers out there and I want to do it right for my first AR built. Thanks guys.

01-30-2010, 5:33 PM
I would go with a RRA lower parts kit.

A GI trigger is generally gonna be the same for all of em. There are after market drop in triggers...(Timney , Geissele )

Magpul CTR or MOE stock.

Magpul MOE or MIAD grip.

01-30-2010, 5:34 PM
Oh....and for a SHTF type upper without blowin the bank...???

Get a BCM or Daniel Defense upper.

01-30-2010, 6:49 PM
I have a regular trigger, it's not all that great but i've grown to love it.. i've been reading alot lately and the BCM seems like a good company to deal with..

There is so much stuff to learn but be careful.. This stuff is addicting

01-30-2010, 7:38 PM
For an upper, you can't go wrong with BCM. Make sure you buy their BCG, if not the whole package. Make sure you read up on carbine vs. mid-length gas systems. There is a good post on M4carbine.net. Check it out here. (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642)

There is a LPK group buy going on in the commercial sales forum if you're interested. I think they're going for $45 + shipping.

01-30-2010, 8:06 PM
Hello and welcome!

LPK's= I have Rock River NM 2stage in most of my lowers(very nice IMHO) also have a LMT 2stage but I have yet to try it out.

Uppers=Cant got wrong with BCM, Noveske, LMT, Larue...to name a few,

Grips= Ones that are used on my lowers are the Ergo grip, Magpul MIAD or MOE, and Tango down battle grip.

Good luck in your search!. :)