PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy or build an AR - Need advice

IEShooter
01-30-2010, 5:00 PM
Hello. I've been doing some research and am wanting to buy or build an AR type rifle in 5.56 and wanted some advice. It will be used for plinking, targets, etc. I don't hunt, so that's not a concern. Wanting to keep the price under $1750 or so, not including any optics I might want. That would come later.

Not very familiar with a lot of the terminology, so bear with me.

So far, I'm leaning towards:

CHF barrel in 16" length
Gas piston design (short, medium??)
1:7 twist
M4 feed ramp

I was just at the OC gun show today and saw a nice LWRC with the latest bolt and a CHF barrel for $1650. Basic rifle without all the PIC rails up front, which is fine, as I don't know what I'd ever mount up there. I suppose I could mount a light of some sort as I may do some night shoots in the future at my local range.

Couple things I kind of like:

OD green or desert sand color on stock, forward rail, etc.
Telescoping rear stock (not sure what you call this)
Sling attachment points
Attachment point for bipod for those times I want one on it.

I was leaning towards a Daniel Defence or STAG. I'm left handed, but will buy a right handed rifle as it has never bothered me to have the cases eject on the right.

However, I'm now thinking of a LWRC or some other brand that has a CHF barrel. I tend to shoot 400+ rounds when I go out, so I'd prefer a barrel that will last a long time.

Any advice for me? Not in any rush. Wife isn't going to let me charge it, so I have to save up some money over the next 6 months or so.

Regards,

John

aplinker
01-30-2010, 5:32 PM
First off, if you're in love with something and just REALLY want it, get it.

$1750 is enough to pretty much have pick of the litter. Unless you're a spendthrift or don't do your homework, you can build/buy just about anything.

Build yourself - you'll save a good deal of cash and build a rifle exactly how you want it.

Skip the piston - the arguments for it are weak and it's money that's better spent elsewhere (like triggers, ammo, etc)

There are a number of excellent deals that will allow you to get excellent quality, and finish the whole rifle (with top-end optics) at $1750.

A couple examples:
Local Lower ($150)
MOE Kit from DSG Arms ($99)
G&R or DD LPK (~$7-80)

Upper Choices (all are CHF barrels, chrome lined):
1.) PK Firearms Daniel Defense mid-length with 10" Lite rail ($800)

2.) Noveske RECCE Light Basic with Free Lower ($875 - $100 above on lower & includes sight)
DD OMEGA 9" rail ($260)

The oft-forgotten LMT MRP is also a nice choice.

Buy used! I know it lacks the "cache," but the used market is SOFT, rifles are barely broken in at 2k rounds, and most have FAR less than that.

coop44
01-30-2010, 5:34 PM
You can build 2 or 3 nice rifles for that money

IEShooter
01-30-2010, 6:11 PM
First off, if you're in love with something and just REALLY want it, get it.

$1750 is enough to pretty much have pick of the litter. Unless you're a spendthrift or don't do your homework, you can build/buy just about anything.

Build yourself - you'll save a good deal of cash and build a rifle exactly how you want it.

Skip the piston - the arguments for it are weak and it's money that's better spent elsewhere (like triggers, ammo, etc)

There are a number of excellent deals that will allow you to get excellent quality, and finish the whole rifle (with top-end optics) at $1750.

A couple examples:
Local Lower ($150)
MOE Kit from DSG Arms ($99)
G&R or DD LPK (~$7-80)

Upper Choices (all are CHF barrels, chrome lined):
1.) PK Firearms Daniel Defense mid-length with 10" Lite rail ($800)

2.) Noveske RECCE Light Basic with Free Lower ($875 - $100 above on lower & includes sight)
DD OMEGA 9" rail ($260)

The oft-forgotten LMT MRP is also a nice choice.

Buy used! I know it lacks the "cache," but the used market is SOFT, rifles are barely broken in at 2k rounds, and most have FAR less than that.

Thanks for the informative response.

Will I actually save money by building it? I spoke with a couple folks at the guns show who sold uppers, lowers, and complete rifles, and they said that it was about a wash on price. Advantage of building it of course is you get exactly what you want. I had intended on buying one, but really like the idea of customizing it with the exact stock, forward rails, colors, etc., that I like.

Daniel sells CHF barrels? Didn't know that. They seem to have a good reputaton around here.

Certainly not looking to spend a lot of money if it is not necessary. I'm not the type that is looking for a rifle with superb accuracay. 1" MOA at 100 yards is plenty good for me. The limiting factor won't be the rifle, it'll be me!!! LOL!!!

Is there some source (website, etc.,) that you guys recommend to learn more about these?

I've read the "so you want to buy an AR, huh" thread and learned a lot.

Regards,

John

SIKwitIT
01-30-2010, 6:19 PM
i just got my daniel defense a couple weeks ago. Overall i am really happy with the quality of it. Feels very solid to me. I have about 300rds through it and not a problem to speak of.
Im new to the AR game also,
i was going to do my own build but after finding the Daniels it was the closest to what i wanted and i got a pretty good price on it also.