PDA

View Full Version : Which Scope Do You Prefer?

KTran211
01-07-2006, 10:35 AM
I was wondering which scope would you guys prefer more, an Aimpoint or the Trijicon? And why?

uzigalil
01-07-2006, 11:15 AM
You are confusing terms and equipment, Also which product by Trijicon??, they make various optics and night sights.

Which Aimpoint ?

Get more specific,then you'll get a better response.

anotherted
01-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I'd hazard a guess he's referring to the ACOG and the Comp M2.

KTran211
01-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Sorry for the confusion. The scope models I forgot to mention is the Trijicon ACOG TA31 and the Aimpoint Comp M2. Now that should be clarify things a bit. ;)

anotherted
01-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Damn, im good.

Mute
01-07-2006, 5:19 PM
I personally would rather have the Aimpoint with an Aimpoint 3x magnifier on either a twist-off mount or the Samson flip mount. This gives me the best CQB option as well as extended range versatility. However, if I knew that I would never use my rifle within 75 yards, I'd probably go with the Acog.

BigAL
01-07-2006, 5:51 PM
For CQB work nothing is faster than an Aimpoint or EOTech type red dot with no magnification. With these dot type sights you can still hit a man sized target out to 200 yds easily. But if you want more precision and the ability to reach further than you will prob want magnification and nothing beats the ACOG for combining magnification in a dot type sight. That and it doesn't require batteries but the dot can seem a bit weak when inside a dark room looking out into a bright environment since the fiber optic isn't picking up much light. And the ACOG costs much more too. If you don't see yourself shooting past 200 yds and don't care about benchrest accuracy than I'd recommend a Aimpoint or EOTech.

ETA: If you get the magnifier for the Aimpoint than the cost difference becomes much less. In that case I feel the ACOG is better cuz it's just one less thing to go wrong.

TMC
01-07-2006, 7:27 PM
With the TA31 you can keep both eyes open on the close stuff and it works like a red dot with the red donut glowing, some folks have trouble with the magnification in one eye, others don't. Its good out to 600 on a man sized target and better out to 300 on a 12" plate. A better option if the you like the BAC donut is the TA11, its slightly less power, 3.5 but the eye relief is better at over 2.5" compared to the 1.5" of the TA31 making it less sensitive when your trying to get behind the scope quickly.

KTran211
01-07-2006, 7:33 PM
Thanx for the comments/reviews on the these scopes. Any other reviews or opinions about these scopes is more than welcome.

RRangel
01-07-2006, 7:40 PM
I'd take an Eotech for the price. I've had an Aimpoint. I like the idea of the 1 MOA dot in the Eotech for my purposes. You can have the latest Aimpoint with 2 or 4 MOA dots. I'd love a Trijicon ACOG, but you'll have to pay nearly $1000 or more for one. The advantages aren't really critical for most of my purposes.

If price is a limitation it's personal preference between an Aimpoint and the Eotech IMHO.

cooslf
01-08-2006, 8:12 AM
I'm new to AR. Could we use C-more on the front rail for CQB while using others for 100 yards+. If so, what would be the best choice of scope for 100 yards+. I got a ATM 8X scope, it is so heavy :( Thanks

BigAL
01-08-2006, 8:31 AM
I'm new to AR. Could we use C-more on the front rail for CQB while using others for 100 yards+. If so, what would be the best choice of scope for 100 yards+. I got a ATM 8X scope, it is so heavy :( Thanks

I firmly believe that the ACOG is the best all around scope since it combines minor magnification with the attributes of a red dot, so you can use it either way. However, most AR shooters don't see themselves shooting past 200 yds or so in a defensive encounter. For these folks a plain red-dot like Aimpoint or EOTech make more sense. The C-more is a lower cost alternative to these types of sights. I do know people who run more than one sight on an AR. They are all 3-gunner gamers. Some run as many as 3 sights each zeroed at different ranges. I'm not a fan of this as a little practice with just one sight will allow you to realize what you need for target holdover, and the ACOG actually has a bullet drop compensator built in to the reticle.

atek3
01-08-2006, 2:58 PM
I firmly believe that the ACOG is the best all around scope since it combines minor magnification with the attributes of a red dot, so you can use it either way. However, most AR shooters don't see themselves shooting past 200 yds or so in a defensive encounter. For these folks a plain red-dot like Aimpoint or EOTech make more sense. The C-more is a lower cost alternative to these types of sights. I do know people who run more than one sight on an AR. They are all 3-gunner gamers. Some run as many as 3 sights each zeroed at different ranges. I'm not a fan of this as a little practice with just one sight will allow you to realize what you need for target holdover, and the ACOG actually has a bullet drop compensator built in to the reticle.

Another strategy 3gunners use with ACOG's is a bit tricky to explain. On stages with close targets they use a flip up objective cover to cover the front of the ACOG. Then they look with both eyes open, the left eye sees the target, the right eye sees a glowing red chevron, the brain merges the two into basically a crude occlusion sight. This technique works well at close range for most people.

atek3

cooslf
01-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all your valuable advice. It sounds like ACOG will be the best choice...but it's kinda expensive:(

BTW, have anyone used grip pod by GPS Inc. Thanks again

gose
01-08-2006, 11:33 PM
I love Aimpoints, but I might be slightly biased being Swedish ;)
If you want higher magnification there is a 3x add-on for the Aimpoint which goes behind the sight with no adjustments needed. Not sure if its available on the US market yet though.

stevie
01-09-2006, 4:20 AM
How are your eyes? Trijicon BAC works best with "good" eyes. I have a lazy eye and can not use the BAC, while i still can see the "dot" with my left eye, it is not sighted correctly because of my eyesite. That being the case, i use aimpoints and EOTech.

atek3
01-09-2006, 6:56 AM
I love Aimpoints, but I might be slightly biased being Swedish ;)
If you want higher magnification there is a 3x add-on for the Aimpoint which goes behind the sight with no adjustments needed. Not sure if its available on the US market yet though.

unfortunately for three gun shooters, mounting the lens behind an aimpoint counts as "two optical devices" throwing you into open class.

atek3

shopkeep
01-09-2006, 9:07 AM
Although the Trijon and Aimpoint get the most attention, I LOVE the EOtech. Especially the 512 which uses regular AA batteries so you get a TON of bang for your buck and a better SHTF configuration. Not to mention the 65 MOA circle that surrounds the 1 MOA dot is perfect for rapid fire situations out to 75 yards.

Centurion_D
01-09-2006, 2:20 PM
I like the ACOG's. No batteries required:p

bwiese
01-09-2006, 2:31 PM
You can also take a look at the Elcan 3.4X scope.

It's bigger than ACOG. I do like that its eye relief is a tad more flexible than ACOG 4X. Not sure if that's the difference btwn the two brands/designs or just because of differing powers and I don't notice it as much with only 3.4X magnification.

When I mount up my new 3X ACOG I'll know more...