PDA

View Full Version : Best tool for Solar Tac lock?

wksun88
01-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Hey guys, I just picked up my draco AK pistol yesterday and I'm trying to figure out the best way to operate the lever. This is the first time I've used it as I have an old school jjperl bb on my WASR-10. I tried my car key but I think I bent it a little since I might have used it at a wrong angle.
Any suggestions guys?

ChrisO
01-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Haha go back to solartacs website and they have a tool that attaches to your magazine and makes it a breeze and you can reload like on a actual AK by slapping the mag out with the other mag.

lorax3
01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
tool that attaches to your magazine and makes it a breeze

Yeah, those seem a little better. Although they get beat up pretty quickly after a few reloads. I would assume after a while the light metal on the reload tools would dent in and would need replacing. I have thought about permanently mounting one of these tools to the magazine body; the Velcro kept coming loose.

Besides those, any other tools that made it easier to operate the release?

I will note that a few times I have jammed my thumb in there and was able to push the release perhaps further than my comfort level, which is low.

Perhaps I need to unscrew it and change the location a bit, not sure if improper installation can result in issues.

69Mach1
01-30-2010, 12:17 PM
A flat head screwdriver that I bring with me to the range anyway. A key may not give you enough leverage for the AK magazine latch lever because of the strong tension of the latch spring.

ChrisO
01-30-2010, 12:22 PM
I run my AK's featureless but before I used my leatherman and it works good. If I ran a Solar tac mag lock I would tac weld a small piece to the magazine to operate the mag lock :) .

vandal
01-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Solar has a new tool in development.

Yeah, those seem a little better. Although they get beat up pretty quickly after a few reloads. I would assume after a while the light metal on the reload tools would dent in and would need replacing. I have thought about permanently mounting one of these tools to the magazine body; the Velcro kept coming loose.

Besides those, any other tools that made it easier to operate the release?

I will note that a few times I have jammed my thumb in there and was able to push the release perhaps further than my comfort level, which is low.

Perhaps I need to unscrew it and change the location a bit, not sure if improper installation can result in issues.

steel
05-30-2010, 8:04 AM
The open bolt indicator I have for my Garand works well. It's a yellow plastic flag, and it fits perfectly into the slot. Since it's plastic, it doesn't scratch anything.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
05-30-2010, 10:39 AM
A notch cut into the baseplate of my 10 round polymer magazines.

SanPedroShooter
05-30-2010, 12:36 PM
i use the jag from out of the buttstock cleaning kit. Sometimes it feels like it takes three hands. One to hold the rifle, one to work the latch, and one to pull the mag.

Gio
05-30-2010, 1:03 PM
These work great, Mike aka Duraglock aka Mr Solar Tactical sells these. They are called the speed loader, simply attach to the mag and use the spike just like a normal mag release on the AK.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/eastbaysti/AR%20Accessories%20For%20Sale/IMG_2832.jpg

AlliedArmory
05-30-2010, 3:10 PM
I use a small screwdriver

MrPlink
05-31-2010, 2:08 PM
Before I went featureless I used a shaved down plastic bottle opener that fit conveniently on my key chain.
It still worked for opening bottles too!

Trainwrecker
07-04-2010, 1:02 AM
i use the jag from out of the buttstock cleaning kit. Sometimes it feels like it takes three hands. One to hold the rifle, one to work the latch, and one to pull the mag.

Hey, thats what I use too, I figured I was the only one. Put it in the mag lock up to the first thread , place the jag sideways against your palm and just let it rocker as a lever while you grab the mag with the same hand. Maybe thats not the best explanation, but you pull away both the mag and the tool at the same time while your other hand never leaves the pistol grip. I really want a dedicated tool that is a little more finish friendly, but havent found a decent one yet.

xxINKxx
07-04-2010, 2:10 AM
Ya ^^^ You kinda gotta tilt it out, or pull the mag out at an angle..Hard to explain

But for the tool I use on my AK with solar tactical BB, I think a small/medium phillips head screw driver works the best.