PDA

View Full Version : More AK questions

CalGunsNoob
01-06-2006, 9:44 PM
...or everything you ever wanted to know about AKs by were afraid to ask...

Is an AK-47 the same as an AKM?

I know an Ak-74 is basically an AK-47 in the Russian copy of our 5.56x45 (their is 5.45x39)...will an AK 74 receiver work for a 5.56x45 build?

Do unfolders need special kits?

Are trunion holes drilled better than not drilled? (no idea what a trunion hole is here)

As you can see...JoeKen has different varieties

http://207.176.137.9/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=280&cat=AK+Receivers

wayoutwest
01-06-2006, 10:30 PM
...or everything you ever wanted to know about AKs by were afraid to ask...

Is an AK-47 the same as an AKM?Traditionally a Ak47 is a milled receiver vs. a AKM(modern) built on a stamped receiver

I know an Ak-74 is basically an AK-47 in the Russian copy of our 5.56x45 (their is 5.45x39)...will an AK 74 receiver work for a 5.56x45 build?I dont know if the5.56 and the 5.45 are the same diameter but I would guess not=probably not compatable

Do unfolders need special kits?underfolders need different rear blocks(truinons) than fixed stocks the front ends are all the same

Are trunion holes drilled better than not drilled? (no idea what a trunion hole is here)the front trunion is the part that the barrel is pressed into and rivited into the stamped receiver. the holes on the trunions are not always the same so by having them drilled completely in the receiver you may have to wobble them out a bit for the rivits. IMHO if the holes are just punched or drilled undersized you would be better.

As you can see...JoeKen has different varietiesJoeken doesnt have a good rep. for customer service and has problems with the BBB. Lots of people on the AK forums like the Ewbanks receivers though

http://207.176.137.9/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=280&cat=AK+Receivers

If you are looking for kits picks up one that has all matching numbers, better chance for a good headspace. Hope this helps somewhat.

Someone else will also chime in and correct me if I misspoke