PDA

View Full Version : CBS 5 open carry slam tonight at 11pm

sepiid
01-29-2010, 11:20 PM
CBS 5 had a very bad news report on UOC this evening, i havnt seen the video posted on the net yet though.

forgiven
01-29-2010, 11:39 PM
:17:

Thrasher416
01-29-2010, 11:46 PM
:banghead:

Could you summarize what they said in the news report?

ldivinag
01-29-2010, 11:46 PM
sure it was CH 5?

i just saw one on CH7, ABC in san fran bay area.

essentially, the report says, PEETS coffee and CALIFORNIA PIZZA KITCHEN will be banning UOC'ers in their stores...

of course the piece also "interviewed" people who said "what is this? iraq? we dont need people with guns..." blah blah blah...

Philthy
01-29-2010, 11:54 PM
They interviewed some Brady Campaign lady in her living room in front of her fireplace. Annoying.

I think the report was quite disparaging. And the guy even made a crack about making sure if he went to Starbucks he'd get the right kind of "shot."

Maestro Pistolero
01-30-2010, 12:07 AM
They ignore the fact that at not one of these events has there ever been any violence.

pingpong
01-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Here it is:
http://cbs5.com/local/open.carry.guns.2.1459123.html

It wasn't too bad, actually. I've seen much worse. They didn't cherry pick anything from the UOCers from what I could tell, and gave both sides an equal amount of say. Though, the Brady lady's comment about "all the firepower of a SWAT team with none of the training" was a bit stupid.

djbooya
01-30-2010, 12:21 AM
They ignore the fact that at not one of these events has there ever been any violence.

I would think anti-gunners *should* like open carrying...should ANY violence occur they won't be the first targets by their own admission :)

Kinda of like when you're in a group running away from a bear...you don't have to be faster then the bear...just faster then someone else in the group...

djbooya
01-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Here it is:

It wasn't too bad, actually. I've seen much worse. They didn't cherry pick anything from the UOCers from what I could tell, and gave both sides an equal amount of say. Though, the Brady lady's comment about "all the firepower of a SWAT team with none of the training" was a bit stupid.

What I didn't like about her comment is how she ASSUMED they had no training... for all she knows some HAVE had training..maybe some our ex-military...maybe some open carriers are ex-swat... how does she know what level of proficiency anyone has..

Farquaad
01-30-2010, 12:27 AM
From the demonstrations I have seen at the local range I assume that they have no training/skills until proven otherwise. I wouldn't trust 90% of the shooters I see at the range in a shootout, but then again, i would probably say the same thing about 85% of cops.

cbn620
01-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Here it is:

I didn't know UOCers were slinging MP5's and carrying tear gas grenades. :D

ldivinag
01-30-2010, 12:38 AM
while watching a recording of NUMB3RS, i saw the teaser for the CBS (ch 5, kpix)... dana king's V/O goes "these activists get a STERN message..."

oh please...

Uriah02
01-30-2010, 12:52 AM
this news side of it seemed pretty fair... looks like Brady may press the issue more than we will.

Cos
01-30-2010, 1:21 AM
Thanks for posting this link, buddy.

I was a huge fun of Peet's for many years. And I was avoiding Starbucks for last 10 years or so 'cause, arguably, their coffee is on the lower side of the quality scale.

After I've seen this video I think of going tomorrow to my local Peet's and throwing my store-card to their face :-( And I'll voting against CPK in the same way - I won't patronize them anymore.

Any business has a right to set their own rules. I'm as an individual have my right not to get along with those I don't like.

Fireguy
01-30-2010, 1:43 AM
The Brady bunch is now aiming at Starbuck to ban open carry in San Ramon.

Lomic
01-30-2010, 1:47 AM
I liked when he said "NINE millimeter handgun" as if 9mm were some sort of hand cannon rather than the standard mid-range caliber.

The thing that annoys me about these spots is that the OCers are always having to defend their position with facts, while the anti folks just spout out random crap and never get called on anything.

onedavetoomany
01-30-2010, 2:21 AM
Here it is:

Here is the ABC Report:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=7247786

SanPedroShooter
01-30-2010, 3:13 AM
"all the firepower of the swat team with none of the training" what a b***h... i liked the part about his 9MM HANDGUN jezz gimme a break..

hollabillz
01-30-2010, 3:15 AM
I didn't know UOCers were slinging MP5's and carrying tear gas grenades. :D

maybe she's anticipating mcdonald repercussions? ;)

Though, the Brady lady's comment about "all the firepower of a SWAT team with none of the training" was a bit stupid.

:rofl: And I bet she'd claim THESE guys are paranoid! "SWAT training" to carry an unloaded sidearm at a coffee shop?! Most cops don't have "SWAT training" yet 100% of them carry fully automatic death-ray machine gun M4's in their cruisers. I understand her point of view though, as I'm always concerned I'll have to single-handedly respond to a barricade hostage situation with my CA-neutered 10 round sidearm. What's worse, I had no idea SWAT training doesn't include a basic understanding of gun safety, satisfactory discipline to not be careless, basic marksmanship skills and simple tactics for self-defense scenarios. These guys need to ditch that **** and get irrelevant tactical training for firepower they're not allowed to have! :chris:

Mulay El Raisuli
01-30-2010, 7:50 AM
Here is the ABC Report:

Peets coffee says anyone packing w/o a uniform will not be served. That's it? All I need is a uniform?

Cool! All we need is to establish an official CalGuns uniform. I say jeans & a t-shirt. Who's with me?

The Raisuli

Roadrunner
01-30-2010, 9:54 AM
Here's an interesting thought, if an individual is a military veteran and UOC's at one of these events, maybe they should carry their 214 with them. The point to this is to show they have formal firearms training compliments of Uncle Sam, even if it's minimal training. Of course if you've been to frontsight or an upscale training facility like that, you may want to regale the news media with your experience and fun there. I'm wondering why some of our pro-2A leo's don't come along, sort of as a liaison between the UOCers and the police who will most certainly run them through the ringer. Perhaps you could be the go to guy that assures the responding police that all guns have already been "e" checked and you are sort of acting as a chaperon to the event. Personally, if I ever decide to UOC before any formal permission slip is issued to me, I'd probably carry my official NRA training stack of stuff as well as my military horse power. But that's just me.

Roadrunner
01-30-2010, 9:58 AM
Peets coffee says anyone packing w/o a uniform will not be served. That's it? All I need is a uniform?

Cool! All we need is to establish an official CalGuns uniform. I say jeans & a t-shirt. Who's with me?

The Raisuli

Anyone who has been in the military and received an honorable discharge is qualified to wear the uniform of the service they were in. If UOCers who are military veterans began displaying their military status publically and with pride, maybe we could shut these Brady morons up.

MudCamper
01-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Here is the ABC Report:

Much better journalism than the channel 5 report.

demnogis
01-30-2010, 11:22 AM
[...] I'm wondering why some of our pro-2A leo's don't come along, sort of as a liaison between the UOCers and the police who will most certainly run them through the ringer. [...]
Simply put, they don't want to lose their jobs...

Roadrunner
01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Simply put, they don't want to lose their jobs...

Are you suggesting that a leo hanging with UOCers will be viewed by other police as siding with the enemy? UOCing is a legal activity, so why would a police officer risk being fired for participating in a legal activity? It would seem that if a police officer was "brave" enough to hang with UOCers who are simply doing everything legal by wearing their side arm in accordance with the law, protesting the draconian restrictions on the second amendment in accordance with the law and having a police officer present to ensure everyone is conducting themselves in accordance to the law, that police officer would have a ton of ammunition for one helluva a good wrongful termination suit against their department.

Window_Seat
01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
It was going to be a matter of when, not if this agenda (whether you consider it a good thing, or a bad thing) was going to start the break process with the UOC group plan with the public perception. We already know that many in the mainstream do not have as much an awareness of the 2A rights movements as we do here, and educating the public can in many cases be very complex & could quite definitely take a turn for the worst, and this agenda has.

We know that no matter how well dressed a person is, the media is going to paint a bad picture of you if they don't like your lifestyle. I know about this because I work in an industry which the media likes to take potshots at us whenever they can. It doesn't matter if you are saving little puppies on jet skis or stopping a rapist with a wiskbroom, you are going to be done because once you are painted with that brush by the media that doesn't like your cause, the next plan is generally damage control.

In the beginning, I liked the idea, but as of nearly a year ago, for now I don't for this reason.

I've tried to hold myself back on saying anymore than what I have said in the past about the UOC movement in CA (CA, because we are living in a state that is very unfriendly to RKBA, but not a state like Kentucky), but I can't hold back anymore (even though I might risk being banned from OCDO). The UOCers are ruining it for those who are hoping for changes in the laws here in CA, and some of those who are about to make major rulings on landmark cases in the future also read this forum, as well as OCDO.

Please STOP UOCing in CA, even if you know it's legal. EVEN IF SOMEONE STOPS AND SAYS "HAY, THANKS FOR CARRYING". Wait for the Nordyke case to be ruled on, and until CGN&F starts to approve these kinds of events. Until then, I've said before it's a bad idea, and it still is. Those who are still at it have mostly seen the advise that says don't do it because of what is being planned for the future, and there is a good reason for that advise. You don't heed that advise, and then you wonder why we get slammed the way we do by the 6:00 news.

The well educated who is here to give us information on our cause is also here to tell us what is obviously bad for this cause, and they were very clear about UOC, but if it gets worse, don't be surprised if our 2A hating legislature decides that now is the right time to pass a UOC ban, because saying it's not on their minds is like saying that dogs don't bark at foreign sounds.

Erik.

homerm14
01-30-2010, 12:24 PM
From the demonstrations I have seen at the local range I assume that they have no training/skills until proven otherwise. I wouldn't trust 90% of the shooters I see at the range in a shootout, but then again, i would probably say the same thing about 85% of cops.

You been in lots of "shoot outs" lately?

MudCamper
01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I can't hold back anymore (even though I might risk being banned from OCDO).

Bans almost never happen on OCDO. It's one of the most accepting forums out there. You'd have to repeatedly make obvious trolling personal attacks to get banned over there.

yelohamr
01-30-2010, 3:38 PM
Network Identifiers:
CBS = Continuous Bull S***
ABC = All Bull Crap
NBC = Nothing But Crap

Manic Moran
01-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Anyone who has been in the military and received an honorable discharge is qualified to wear the uniform of the service they were in. If UOCers who are military veterans began displaying their military status publically and with pride, maybe we could shut these Brady morons up.

Arguably wearing the average holster is an unauthorised modification to the uniform. I'd have to look up about wearing a personal Beretta in a Sam Browne holster, not sure what the current status is on that.

NTM

Maestro Pistolero
01-31-2010, 12:12 AM
This PR campaign hasn't even begun. When we have a right to loaded carry, the gloves are going to come off on both sides. The challenge will be for gun owners to appear to be the more reasonable side.

Ron-Solo
01-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm wondering why some of our pro-2A leo's don't come along, sort of as a liaison between the UOCers and the police who will most certainly run them through the ringer.

Because most of us think that although legal, UOC is tactically unsound and a bad idea. And the UOC people I know have NO training in tactics and I wouldn't trust them with a BB gun.

That is NOT to say that all UOC people fall into this category, just the one's I've encountered.