PDA

View Full Version : Does basement under home qualify as a 'gun safe'?

GI-M1
01-29-2010, 9:15 PM
I just completed the addition of a basement room under my house. It is small (about 100 sq ft). I installed a solid core door with two strong door locks. The single door is the only way in or out of the storage room. There are no windows in this room.

I am married and have a 10 year old daughter.

Can I use the basement storage room as a 'gun safe'? Or do I have to install a gun safe inside my basement storage room?

Librarian
01-29-2010, 9:32 PM
It may offer decent security (can't say for sure), but it won't qualify for using the 'safe affidavit' for long gun purchases. See DOJ web page on safes (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/gunsafe.php).

VictorFranko
01-29-2010, 9:35 PM
I am certainly no expert, but common sense tells me that a room in your house, and a basement is just another room, does not qualify as a "safe".

Lateralus
01-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Safe? No.

Sweet man cave? ABSOLUTELY!!!

wash
01-29-2010, 10:30 PM
I was considering a reinforced concrete underground vault complete with a vault door and that probably would have qualified for the safe affidavit but a solid door and controlled access would make it good place for guns as long as the humidity is ok.

If you get a small safe for your bedroom closet, that will work for the affidavit and keep something closer for home defense.

AndrewMendez
01-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Throw in some gas mask, and a month's worth of food, and you've got yourself a Bad A** panic room! What is the reason you want to classify it as a safe?

artherd
01-29-2010, 10:56 PM
For what purpose?

CDFingers
01-30-2010, 8:19 AM
As long as the lock on the door of your man cave passes the requirements of a safe lock, you easily could make the case that, indeed, you have a safe--this is the question you will be asked upon buying a firearm in California. Once your room is constructed, it should pass.

Be aware, however, that having a child in the house triggers a second law in California requiring that you keep your guns locked up when the child is present.

Make sure your ducks are in a row before buying a firearm--meaning, you must answer affirmatively the "safe" question and be able to prove it if questioned.

Be safe and careful.

CDFingers

Quiet
01-30-2010, 8:29 AM
As long as the lock on the door of your man cave passes the requirements of a safe lock, you easily could make the case that, indeed, you have a safe--this is the question you will be asked upon buying a firearm in California. Once your room is constructed, it should pass.

It also needs to meet these standards (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/gunsafe.php).

Regulatory Gun Safe Standards
DOJ regulatory standards require a gun safe to meet either:

All of the following requirements:

Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage;
Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols. The lock shall be protected by a case-hardened (Rc 60+) drill-resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material of equivalent strength;
Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least ˝ inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock;
Shall be capable of repeated use. The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12-gauge thick steel for a single-walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least .100 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum of two layers of 12-gauge steel, or one layer of 7-gauge steel compound construction;
Door hinges shall be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Protective features include, but are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler’s lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.

littlejake
01-30-2010, 8:40 AM
Or:

All of the following requirements:

1. Is listed as an Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container;
2. Is able to fully contain firearms;
3. Provides for the secure storage of firearms.

8-Ball
01-30-2010, 8:49 AM
Just put pictures of Pelosi, Feinstein, and Boxer on the door... should scare the crap out of any would be robbers and certainly frighten any child away...

B Strong
01-30-2010, 8:57 AM
I just completed the addition of a basement room under my house. It is small (about 100 sq ft). I installed a solid core door with two strong door locks. The single door is the only way in or out of the storage room. There are no windows in this room.

I am married and have a 10 year old daughter.

Can I use the basement storage room as a 'gun safe'? Or do I have to install a gun safe inside my basement storage room?

Absolutely not.

What you describe is only good enough to keep honest folks out. I would suggest buying a safe and locking it in that space.