PDA

View Full Version : AR pistol and the interstate, intrafamilial transfer

Fate
01-29-2010, 8:30 PM
Any problems with a AR-15 OLL-based pistol (however lower not marked as "pistol") belonging to an out of state parent or child being transferred as a pistol (bullet button/fixed mag of course) to a child/parent in CA?

Most specifically, even though the pistol was built from a stripped lower (that had never been made a rifle, which is Federally legal), it's still DROSable in CA as a pistol due to the intrafamilial transfer exemption, correct?

wildhawker
01-29-2010, 8:56 PM
No, and yes.

Fate
01-30-2010, 10:44 AM
And confirming a fixed mag/bullet button would be enough in this case (i.e. it doesn't have to be single shot, right?)

dantodd
01-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Maybe my dad will have to bring out a new toy next time he comes to visit.

wildhawker
01-30-2010, 11:51 AM
And confirming a fixed mag/bullet button would be enough in this case (i.e. it doesn't have to be single shot, right?)

Yes, for an AR/AK platform pistol a BB device-equipped non-AW firearm would be fine for an IFT.

bwiese
01-30-2010, 1:21 PM
The single-shot status is only relevant for ordinary interstate transfers requiring a Rostered handgun.

Since the interstate intrafamily xfer is already Roster-exempt, single-shot exemption is not required.

If the non-Rostered handgun is purchased from Joe Schmoe on AuctionArms, it must be rendered Roster-exempt (via rendering to dimensionally-compliant single-shot pistol or single-action revolver status) before entering California.

Fate
01-30-2010, 9:54 PM
Thank you bwiese and wildhawker.

Final questions re: AR-pistol in this scenario. Would it be required to be a complete pistol for the transfer? Specifically, should my Dad decide to keep the short barrel upper for a SBR/NFA build, could he interstate interfamilial transfer to me his:
a) stripped receiver to be CA DROSed as pistol
or
b) just an AR lower (from his pistol build) with bullet button, LPK, pistol buffer/receiver extention (sans buttstock) and pistol grip installed.

If b) is possible, would an upper of some sort (say 16" carbine upper) be required at the CA FFL for the DROS or safety demonstration? Could I just bring one of my rifle uppers, assemble at the CA FFL and complete DROS?

Quiet
01-31-2010, 7:49 AM
Needs to be a complete pistol.

Also, in CA, a 16+" barrel will make it a long gun, not a pistol.

Fate
01-31-2010, 8:59 AM
Needs to be a complete pistol.

Also, in CA, a 16+" barrel will make it a long gun, not a pistol.

That's pretty much what I remembered, but wanted to make sure. Now I got to convince the old man he really doesn't want another SBR (good luck, I know). Haha.