PDA

View Full Version : Potential Unloaded Open Carry Statewide Project

Robidouxs
01-29-2010, 7:55 PM
I am not currently aware if GFSZ maps for the state of California have been generated. If they have not been generated I am proposing a project to map out the locations of all schools and attach a 1000 foot buffer to all of these schools to provide all individuals a clear picture of where GFSZ and non-UOC establishments are located. Maps could be potentially separated by county for simplicity of searching and aiding in the generation of the map.

The secondary benefit from this project are that individuals which wish to participate in UOC would be able to quickly formulate routes and express UOC without fear of violating the law.

I would have no problem personally mapping out the entire project, but would prefer to have assistance gathering data on:

1) the location of schools
2) other locations which would be considered fulling under the criteria of a "school" as per the law
3) the locations of non-participating UOC establishments (this can be GPS coordinates or location address)
4) county wide parcel level data in shapefile format(meaning the data provides the outline of the property in electronic format)
5) electronic landuse shapefile (fastest method) or PDF file for the county

Anyone familiar or trained in Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping software (GRASS, ESRI, etc.) would be an asset to this project.

If interested in this project please notify me so we can hash out all the details and determine our plan of action.

Best regards,

Robidouxs

bodger
01-29-2010, 8:03 PM
I'd still be in fear of violating the law. All it takes is one school that was overlooked and is not on the map and your gun rights are gone for what, three years?

hkusp9c
01-29-2010, 8:07 PM
Plus all that money on legal defense?

ke6guj
01-29-2010, 8:10 PM
I've heard some people say that they specifically don't want a GFSZ map made, because its existence would interfere with a "knows, or reasonably should know" defense.

wildhawker
01-29-2010, 8:18 PM
This is not a wise project or one Calguns can or should promote; it's fraught with risk and serves no purpose but to promulgate unsubstantiated confidence to potentially less-educated users in a non-recognized publication.

outland
01-29-2010, 8:20 PM
+ 1

N6ATF
01-29-2010, 8:26 PM
I've heard some people say that they specifically don't want a GFSZ map made, because its existence would interfere with a "knows, or reasonably should know" defense.

Not that CA courts will even allow that defense despite it being clearly written in law. Better to (legally) burn the GFSZ to ruination with thermite.

wildhawker
01-29-2010, 8:33 PM
Not that CA courts will even allow that defense despite it being clearly written in law. Better to (legally) burn the GFSZ to ruination with thermite.

Sounds like a plan.

Cokebottle
01-29-2010, 8:37 PM
Which didn't mean scat to the judge and DA in our friend's case.

But I agree... especially private schools open and close and relocate all the time. There's no way that any online source is going to be current unless each location is verified by eyeballs on the ground... and a database built like that would have huge holes in areas where there is no participation.

Kestryll
01-29-2010, 8:51 PM
This is not a wise project or one Calguns can or should promote; it's fraught with risk and serves no purpose but to promulgate unsubstantiated confidence to potentially less-educated users in a non-recognized publication.

Agreed on all points.