PDA

View Full Version : question about cocking handle on HK91 style rifles

norcal77
01-29-2010, 5:51 PM
So I got my PTR91 home the other day and started playing with it and noticed something. It seems like it takes a lot of effort to get the cocking handle to release when it's in its resting position. Once it is out it seems OK but the minute you rack it and it slams back to the front it seems to almost lock in there. I haven't fired it yet and I'm thinking it could be a break in thing but something just doesn't seem right. Is it supposed to extend with minimal effort or is that normal to have to yank it to get it to extend? I called PTR91 and they said to fire it and see how things go but I figured I would check in with some calgunners to see what they think.

X-NewYawker
01-29-2010, 6:05 PM
That's because when it is all the way forward the bolt is locked. The "levering" effect of prying that knob off the receiver is unlocking the bolt. It's been that way since my first HJK-91 in 1979, and always annoying.

NSR500
01-29-2010, 7:04 PM
Get an Extended charging handle for more leverage. You also have to check that the bolt gap is the same as the carrier/charging handle gap.

norcal77
01-29-2010, 7:16 PM
That's because when it is all the way forward the bolt is locked. The "levering" effect of prying that knob off the receiver is unlocking the bolt. It's been that way since my first HJK-91 in 1979, and always annoying.

Yeah..doesn't seem like a great design to me..but I still like it:)

so basically..this type of rifle has no bolt hold open type feature?...doesn't seem like a very good design for a battle type rifle to me...

norcal77
01-29-2010, 7:16 PM
Get an Extended charging handle for more leverage. You also have to check that the bolt gap is the same as the carrier/charging handle gap.

So I basically follow these steps and do the same for the carrier charging handle gap? Yeah, I saw that extended handle on another site and I think I'm gonna get it, I wanted to get the steel original type but I'm probably better off with the extended. Thanks for the tip.

Q: How to check your Bolt Gap?
A: For a HK91, G3 or Cetme to run reliably and safely it should have a bolt gap that measures between .3 and .5 millimeters (about .012 - .020 Inch). If your HK/G3 or Cetme has less bolt gap or no bolt gap than you need to change your rollers and use HK + Size rollers which are available for sale on our G3 Parts page. Do not think that just because your rifle is working that your bolt gap is OK. I myself didn't notice the bolt gap had totally disappeared on my favorite FMP G3. I was shocked to see I had no bolt gap, a set of HK +2 Rollers got me back up to spec and now I can once again safely shoot my favorite G3. The lack of bolt gap can not only be dangerous but it also increases the amount of wear that your rifle endures while firing.
1, Remove Magazine.
2, Pull back cocking handle and let the bolt slam shut, make sure it's shut all the way.
3, Turn rifle over so you are looking into the bottom of the mag well.
4, Using a feeler gauge measure the gap that is between your bolt head and bolt carrier. If you lack a feeler
gauge you can use one or two pieces of paper, though a feeler gauge is needed to obtain a proper measurement.
5, If you have less than .3mm of gap than you will need to acquire + size rollers which are available on the G3 page of this website. Then
follow the instructions for the above topic titled "how to remove rollers" and replace your rollers.

NSR500
01-29-2010, 7:24 PM
Yes... You measure your bolt gap first. Then you take the measurement at the charging handle/carrier. You want them to be the same so you don't need too much leverage to unlock the rollers. If the gap is too small up front you also end up battering the charging handle when the gun cycles.

sd1023x
01-29-2010, 9:05 PM
You have to just "go for it". I do a reverse "judo chop", get the meaty part of my hand wedged inbetween the cocking tube and the cocking handle at about a 45 degree angle, lever the cocking handle away from the gun using the wedged part of my hand and pull back the cocking handle in a quick motion.

Pvt. Cowboy
01-29-2010, 9:33 PM
so basically..this type of rifle has no bolt hold open type feature?...doesn't seem like a very good design for a battle type rifle to me...

Well, it's an archaic design. Goes back over half a century. Germany was still pulling itself out of the rubble of WWII when the G3's forerunner was designed.

nikonuser
01-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Repeated actions will certainly loosen up the charging handle. I remember the other challenge was assembling the bolt and firing pin assembly. You will all soon figure it out after a while. My PTR91 is still a fun gun to shoot and accurate specially with good ammo. Go get the trigger pull adjusted by Bill Springfield too.

rorschach
01-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Go get the trigger pull adjusted by Bill Springfield too.

QFT

X-NewYawker
01-30-2010, 7:49 AM
Yeah..doesn't seem like a great design to me..but I still like it:)

SOP in the 1970's for German Army was that last round in the magazine was a tracer. When you saw the tracer you stopped shooting. The bolt is easier to open if you haven't pulled the trigger on an empty chamber. My HK-91 and 93 and 94 were so much fun I put up with them, but I never got to shoot them at anyone shooting back.

norcal77
01-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Go get the trigger pull adjusted by Bill Springfield too.

It's already on the to do list:D.

Thank you all for your input.