PDA

View Full Version : Independent Armament Co. branded lowers

djleisure
01-29-2010, 3:45 PM
Just got back from DROSing a few things at Independent Armament Co. and Dmitry showed me the prototype of their new lowers. These things are sweet! The magwell lips are double-beveled, meaning they're functional and dead sexy. The selector switch is three-position: bullet icon with X through it for safe; single bullet icon for fire; and SHTF for full-auto! And of course the lowers are made to accept full-auto innards where it's legal. Another nice touch are slightly counter-sunk wells around the takedown pins. Basically means you don't need a bullet tip or anything else to push the takedown pins out with your finger - nice touch! These are actually the most polished lowers I've seen (as far as features go, not physical appearance ;))

I didn't have a camera to get any pics and I'm guessing they are waiting for the non-prototype shipment to arrive (any day now) to make an official announcement and post up pics. If you're in the area though, I highly recommend swinging by and checking these out!
http://www.independentarmament.com/

Oh and the rollmark on these is very clean and simple. It's basically the logo on their website - a spade with the letters IAC in the middle.

turbochris
01-29-2010, 3:55 PM
website dont have pics. I want to see the bling!!!

ElvenSoul
01-29-2010, 3:58 PM
We the members of CALGUNS strongly demand PICS!

IndependentArmamentCo.
01-30-2010, 4:45 PM
We were planning on waiting for the final product before posting picts because we changed a few things (cosmetic) but we do have picts of the final version in the white which we will post soon. We also have a couple of other picts of the machines that are making our lowers. :)

Josh3239
01-30-2010, 4:47 PM
Very interested. I have only been by once to PPT to another Calgunner but I stayed there for a long time talking with Dmitry. Very good guy. Will defintely swing buy the shop when these are ready and pick one up. Are you guys making the lowers yourselves or is someone else cutting them?

nrakid88
01-30-2010, 4:49 PM
Tag for pics, I gotta see

aplinker
01-30-2010, 5:36 PM
Very interested. I have only been by once to PPT to another Calgunner but I stayed there for a long time talking with Dmitry. Very good guy. Will defintely swing buy the shop when these are ready and pick one up. Are you guys making the lowers yourselves or is someone else cutting them?

IAC doesn't have on 07.

I'm sure they'll be by to fill us in, but I know they had been talking to one of the best AR cutters about adding some excellent refinements to their "standard" cut. It sounds like these are them.

IndependentArmamentCo.
01-30-2010, 7:59 PM
Ok guys, here are some photos. After the SI Defense debacle, we decided to move to a different manufacturer, one who knew how to make lowers correctly...JD Machine. We're tough customers but Jessie and Eric have been very accommodating and the lowers are looking great.

We recently took a trip down to San Diego (after SHOT in Vegas and a little snowboarding in Mammoth) to visit the shop and see the first two lowers out of the gate...while we were there, we snapped a couple of photos.

These two photos are of the broaching machine that cuts the final shape of the magwells. This is a very tall machine and it can broach two lowers at a time.
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/broach1.jpg

And here's a closeup of the broachers. They progressively open up the magwell by shaving off material a little at a time as it goes down.
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/broach2.jpg

Here's a photo of the engraving machine....
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/cnc.jpg

IndependentArmamentCo.
01-30-2010, 8:18 PM
And here's the final machined product:
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/iac_lower1-1.jpg
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/iac_lower2.jpg

We have added a couple modifications to JD's already excellent lowers. Due to the "pre-shaped" limitation of forgings (plus prohibitive added machining costs), we stuck with the modifications that we though would make the most difference...but we did have some fun with the selector markings.

The first modification is a double bevel magazine well. We had considered doing a single deep bevel but we didn't want to thin out the "collar" area of the magwell. So instead, we came up with a secondary angle which allows plenty of material to remain around the "collar" area for strength but it creates a more funnel-like magwell bevel to help aid with reloads. (we'll post some photos later of this)

The second modification we did (which was present on our first batch of lowers by SI) was to add a recess on the left side of the takedown pin. The photos above doesn't show this modification but the final units will have them. What this does is that it allows you get just a little bit more push on the takedown pin which gives you a little meat to grab onto on the right side of the pin...helps when you have a snug upper to lower fit or if you don't have fine geisha-like hands (unlike aplinker :D)

Now as for the selector markings, we decided to go with HK style pictograms but for the full auto position, we used SHTF. We thought it was fitting. :) And, of course, our lowers are all low-shelf for our lucky Title 3 customers.

We're very excited about these lowers as JD does a very fine job with their existing lowers. All the flash is removed, they use quality forgings and their machining is well done and accurate.

We should be receiving the finished product some time next week so stop by the shop and check them out!

Mike / Dmitry

OIF_VET
01-30-2010, 8:26 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!:hurray: Well done Sir....well done!

tomd1584
01-30-2010, 8:32 PM
I will definately be getting one of these!!

marxdspot
01-30-2010, 8:50 PM
The folks at IAC are great people. Dmitry took care of me countless times. Wish them the best. And, congrats on the new lowers. They look great. I guess it's time for another build.

aplinker
01-30-2010, 9:02 PM
They look great. Well done, guys.

I know you can't see it, but I'm showing off one of my fine, geisha fingers to you right now. :D

IndependentArmamentCo.
02-03-2010, 12:09 AM
aplinker, that's a very fine finger. Thanks, we feel the love! :)

All the love aside, here are the additional pictures we promised. These two are of the magwell:
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/iac_magwell1.jpg

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/iac_magwell2.jpg

And here's the countersunk takedown pin area:
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/iac_takedown.jpg

On a little cosmetic note, the selector markings above are from our prototypes. The new markings are nearly the same but we changed just some small details. The 'safe' marking has the "X" marking going through the box (corner to corner) instead of just X-ing out the bullet and the "SHTF" marking is just a hair bit smaller so that it's not crowding the border. If you look at the photos of the ones in white, that's what they'll look like on the final version. OCD? Yeah, just a little bit...

Any questions or comments are welcome. We should taking delivery of these late Wednesday and they will be ready for sale on Thursday after we manual inspect each one of them ourselves (it's going to be a late night!).

afro
02-03-2010, 12:25 AM
So it's safe to assume with the "SHTF" marking that they are a "low shelf" lower that can potentially accept RDIAS/RLL?

IndependentArmamentCo.
02-03-2010, 12:30 AM
So it's safe to assume with the "SHTF" marking that they are a "low shelf" lower that can potentially accept RDIAS/RLL?
If you're lucky enough to live in NFA state or have special status here in CA, then yes sir.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Hard to go wrong with JD Machine. They do excellent work. Those are some nice looking lowers.

ENTHUSIAST
02-03-2010, 12:47 AM
+1 for JD Machine GREAT guys GREAT products!!! :thumbsup:

RaceDay
02-03-2010, 6:56 AM
Looks great fellas. I'm trying to spend LESS on guns in 2010 but I'll pick one of these up sometime.

Glock21sfsd
02-03-2010, 7:20 AM
Can I order one of these online? I live in San Diego and dont really want to drive up there to get one but would really like to have one

gun toting monkeyboy
02-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Or could you leave some for JD Machine to sell for you out of their shop? That way those of us down here can buy them without having to go find an FFL to do the transfer?

aplinker
02-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Awesome tweaks and they look great. IAC is great peeps. :)

IndependentArmamentCo.
02-04-2010, 4:09 AM
We got 'em!

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/iac_final_n14.jpg

We have two different model/caliber markings. One is XM4 / 5.56 MM NATO and the other is XMX / MULTI. If you'd like to reserve a specific serial number, you'll have to come by the shop...we're not taking any reservations by email/phone/txt/etc. Strictly first come, first serve. Most of the commonly sought after numbers have already been taken (0000 thru 0010, 0013, 0069, etc...)

For all of you San Diego guys, give us a call at the shop and we can discuss what can be done.

VickG818
02-04-2010, 4:40 AM
WOW :eek: Very nice I like. Im going to be there today to complete the DROS for my FN SCAR I cant wait to see this Lowers. :King:

djleisure
02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
The finished product looks great! You guys gotta see these in person - they are very tight! JD Machine quality with some nice little tweaks to the standard OLL design. Good stuff!

boxtype1
02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Looks good. Ill stop by tomorrow.

VickG818
02-04-2010, 8:59 PM
I just left IA and I'm very impressed. This lowers are very good quality and finish. They have paid very close attention to every minor detail. It was not even fair to compare it to other lowers they had. Take your best lower AR you have to the shop and compare it to theirs side by side and you will see what I mean. They gave me a little discount on my DROS fee for my FN SCAR and gave me a free pistol grip for a M4. You cant go wrong either way by just visiting them. They are also getting a class 7 license to have all kinds of SBR rifles,full autos and Silencers which they will let their customers shoot when they go testing :36::jump:

crunchy53
02-04-2010, 10:36 PM
started my DROS today. these are some sexy lowers. make sure you get yours in before they run out

bigian
02-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Im gonna have to make my way down there.....

crunchy53
02-05-2010, 2:48 AM
wierd question. but would that finish match a cmmg or bcm upper?

We got 'em!

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/iac_final_n14.jpg

We have two different model/caliber markings. One is XM4 / 5.56 MM NATO and the other is XMX / MULTI. If you'd like to reserve a specific serial number, you'll have to come by the shop...we're not taking any reservations by email/phone/txt/etc. Strictly first come, first serve. Most of the commonly sought after numbers have already been taken (0000 thru 0010, 0013, 0069, etc...)

For all of you San Diego guys, give us a call at the shop and we can discuss what can be done.

tomd1584
02-05-2010, 8:55 AM
looks like it would probably match either

Josh3239
02-05-2010, 3:36 PM
Just got one, very well made lowers. Very nicely cut. IAC has some very cool things in the works!

alain209
02-05-2010, 6:46 PM
very nice.

cam188
02-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Dmitry,

I have one of your SI Defense lowers (haven't built it yet.) are there any issues with them. Or was the switch just political?

Thanks.

Cool Hand Luke
02-05-2010, 11:44 PM
That's a sweet looking logo but if you wanted to sell a crapload you would also offer a lower with some kind of California logo like KD did. I bet you anything people that missed out on KD Bear and state outline lowers would be standing in line to buy these.

ArkinDomino
02-06-2010, 12:18 AM
That's a sweet looking logo but if you wanted to sell a crapload you would also offer a lower with some kind of California logo like KD did. I bet you anything people that missed out on KD Bear and state outline lowers would be standing in line to buy these.

But the IAC logo is so much cooler and adds +3 to your attack attribute. ;)

IndependentArmamentCo.
02-06-2010, 1:46 AM
Hey Guys, thanks for all the compliments. We're very glad that you guys like 'em! These have been selling faster than we expected so come on by and check them out!

wierd question. but would that finish match a cmmg or bcm upper?We'll check on the BCM finish match tomorrow but we can't help out the CMMG as we don't carry any of their products. If anyone has any concerns about the finish matching, bring in your upper and you can check it out yourself to make sure it meets your needs.

I have one of your SI Defense lowers (haven't built it yet.) are there any issues with them. Or was the switch just political?Let's just say that we had some real issues with the way they handled business. We ended up returning a majority of the receivers they cut (at a monetary loss to us) and we will never do business with them again.

Of the lowers that did make it out, we inspected each one so they should be fine. If you do have an actual problem with them, bring it in and let us take a look at it. So far, we haven't had any issues with the ones that went out.

That's a sweet looking logo but if you wanted to sell a crapload you would also offer a lower with some kind of California logo like KD did. I bet you anything people that missed out on KD Bear and state outline lowers would be standing in line to buy these.Well we decided not to do a CA logo or bear logo lower for two reasons. One, it's already been done....and two, since we're a CA company and JD is a CA company, we think there plenty of CA in these lower....any more might cause a rift in the space-time continuum and that's more responsibility than we care to handle...for now. :)

But the IAC logo is so much cooler and adds +3 to your attack attribute. ;) :D

And a photo...this was just Duracoated...it'll be at the shop for display so you can our Duracoating work...
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/IndyArmsCo/IAC_FDE.jpg

Toast
02-06-2010, 9:24 AM
What's the price on these?

bigian
02-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I called and was told $150 + DROS. Tax is included in the $150 :D

shooterdude
02-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Does that include the Duracoat? What about the cost on upper receiver?

bigian
02-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Does that include the Duracoat? What about the cost on upper receiver?

that's for the stripped lower only....

Toast
02-06-2010, 3:16 PM

:eek: ok, I may have to take a drive down to San Diego...

IndependentArmamentCo.
02-07-2010, 1:17 AM
Duracoating is extra. We did that one for display. Eventually, it'll be a complete FDE rifle. We have FDE, FG, Colt Grey, Black and a few other colors.

crunchy53
02-10-2010, 5:34 PM
so how was the match with a BCM upper?

bigian
02-10-2010, 5:49 PM
Do you have many left?

IndependentArmamentCo.
02-10-2010, 9:31 PM
The upper lower match to the BCM was good with the two we BCM uppers we had in hand. You can come by and check it out to make sure it meets your needs.

We just received the balance of the batch so we have more! Come and git 'em!