PDA

View Full Version : Can friend be arrest for using my ca legal blk rifle

sreiter
01-29-2010, 3:38 PM
I have what I believe to be a Ca legal center fire rifle in 5.56.

Semi auto
Barrel length at least 16'
Overall length > 30' with stock collapsed
Raddlock
10 round mags

We all know there are uninformed over zealous leo's who will confiscate and/or arrest/detain even if 100% legal.

The question is if I'm with a friend and he is shooting my rifle and a leo comes up and hassles us. Do I as gun owner only have to deal with leo or does my friend also suffer?

sreiter
01-29-2010, 3:39 PM
Also. Lower is DROS'd to me, and its a OLL

Cpl. Haas
01-29-2010, 3:44 PM
If they incorrectly believe that the firearm is an assault weapon, then I'd imagine they would focus their attention on the "AW" itself, and its owner... not the friend who could easily claim in court that he/she didn't know it was illegal/unregistered/etc.

bwiese
01-29-2010, 3:45 PM
Hell, you can be arrested for anything.

As long as the rifle is in legal configruation (as you have shown) there should not be issues esp at a range or valid shooting area.

Rifles/receivers are normally not registered to you.

If you are in a traffic stop have the Calguns material with you.

Minimize LE contact by driving with properly workign taillights, no cracked windshields, and not looking like a dirtbag.

NiteQwill
01-29-2010, 3:50 PM
Don't talk to LEO. Easy as that.

sreiter
01-29-2010, 4:17 PM
Thx. Yes bill I have a copy of the oll quick ref. Flowchart. All the letters in genes archives. Sacto police training memo. Etc.

I've read several times over the have to act what to say etc. Watch the youtubes ect. And thanks to all for that. I'm willing to take whatever risk is associated. Just hate to subject anyone else. Going up to piru this weekend

mymanhattan
01-29-2010, 5:09 PM
what is "OLL"

wildhawker
01-29-2010, 5:12 PM
what is "OLL"

Off List Lower (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Off_List_Lowers_(OLL/OLR)).

GrizzlyGuy
01-29-2010, 5:14 PM
From the FAQ:

Can I loan a long gun to an adult? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_loan_a_long_gun_to_an_adult.3F)

See also: General Loaning Questions (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#General_Loaning_Questions)

Maybe also see: NON "Assault Weapons" Questions (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#NON_.22Assault_Weapons.22_Questions)

sreiter
01-29-2010, 5:56 PM
Grizzly. Perhaps u misread my post/question. I'm not loaning anyone my gun. I'm allowing him to shoot it in my presence which is legal.

GrizzlyGuy
01-29-2010, 6:31 PM
Grizzly. Perhaps u misread my post/question. I'm not loaning anyone my gun. I'm allowing him to shoot it in my presence which is legal.

I understand, but per the law, that's still a loan. If you read through that section of the FAQ, there are links/references to the CA Penal Code where that is spelled out.

outland
01-29-2010, 8:25 PM
I'd just like to repeat an earlier post

"Don't talk to LEO. Easy as that."

+100

talk in court if necessary

SKSer
01-29-2010, 9:58 PM
Hell, you can be arrested for anything.

As long as the rifle is in legal configruation (as you have shown) there should not be issues esp at a range or valid shooting area.

Rifles/receivers are normally not registered to you.

If you are in a traffic stop have the Calguns material with you.

Minimize LE contact by driving with properly workign taillights, no cracked windshields, and not looking like a dirtbag.

Amen to this, you could be shooting a SKS you just picked at Big 5 and an un-informed LEO could tell you you have a AK. One day I was at Big 5 and I asked if they were getting anymore SKS's in, and the saleman said "is that the one that looks just like the AK". Ive also heard a story where an LEO told an individual if he caught anyone shooting the new Colt m4 .22 he would take it away from them, they sell those at Big 5 too. It is your resposibility to understand all the laws for the positions you see yourself in, and the equipment you own, and its also a good idea to have paper work to back it up as well. But even then you still risk the chance of some "bubba" saying they dont care, and taking your gun away/arresting you. But as I stated earlier, this could all happen with an OLL, SKS, or in a far stretch your grandpas old single shot 12 guage. "according to my ruler this barrel is 12 inches"

sreiter
01-30-2010, 1:22 AM
I'd just like to repeat an earlier post

+100

talk in court if necessary

that really doesnt stop them from arresting you for a legal rifle does it?

but it is sound advise, and thanks

wildhawker
01-30-2010, 1:44 AM
that really doesnt stop them from arresting you for a legal rifle does it?

but it is sound advise, and thanks

Nothing stops them from arresting you, period. Loose lips sink ships.

If you're arrested, call CGF.

sreiter
01-30-2010, 1:56 AM
Nothing stops them from arresting you, period. Loose lips sink ships.

If you're arrested, call CGF.

they're on speed dial:D