PDA

View Full Version : -Delete-

supersteve9219
01-29-2010, 2:00 PM
-Delete-

bwiese
01-29-2010, 2:24 PM
I'm sorry about your "virtual gramps" Alzheimer's.

You can be bequested guns from anyone's estate. Family doesn't matter. (I was left guns by the estate of a late Calgunner no relation to me.)

Your "virtual gramps" can leave you guns, once he passes on. True estate/beqest situations are free of Rostering or FFL use (even interstate) even though they are not "intrafamily".

If your grandmother's executor still has time (i.e., estate hasn't "closed" after being fully distributed) the HK P7 can go to you directly.
It's obviously too late for a true intrafamily xfer, as grandma is gone now - kinda have to be alive for that.

Otherwise the HK P7 would go to your "virtual gramps", as community property. I get the idea his life is likely under a bit of care & supervision for safety etc. so the P7 can be stored with the other guns until he passes.

For you to inherit/be bequeathed guns, the guns must be legal in CA (non-AW), you must be nonprohibited person, and for handguns you must hold a valid HSC card.

supersteve9219
01-29-2010, 2:50 PM
I'm sorry about your "virtual gramps" Alzheimer's.

You can be bequested guns from anyone's estate. Family doesn't matter. (I was left guns by the estate of a late Calgunner no relation to me.)

Your "virtual gramps" can leave you guns, once he passes on. True estate/beqest situations are free of Rostering or FFL use (even interstate) even though they are not "intrafamily".

If your grandmother's executor still has time (i.e., estate hasn't "closed" after being fully distributed) the HK P7 can go to you directly.
It's obviously too late for a true intrafamily xfer, as grandma is gone now - kinda have to be alive for that.

Otherwise the HK P7 would go to your "virtual gramps", as community property. I get the idea his life is likely under a bit of care & supervision for safety etc. so the P7 can be stored with the other guns until he passes.

For you to inherit/be bequeathed guns, the guns must be legal in CA (non-AW), you must be nonprohibited person, and for handguns you must hold a valid HSC card.

Thanks, I am not really worried about what happens to them after he passes, I am just wondering if he could transfer that one gun to me at this time, I am only 19 years old at the moment, and if he isn't considered my grandfather he wouldn't be able to transfer them to me until I am over 21 correct?

And the gun was never legally my grandmothers, he owned the gun and it is registered to him, but it is the one that she used and handled the most.

Right now is he still very lucid, and for the most part can take care of himself, he just can't live by himself. I was just thinking if I could I would like to transfer that one gun over to me while he is still able to think clearly enough, because I don't know what his condition will be like when I am 21.

bwiese
01-29-2010, 3:55 PM
Thanks, I am not really worried about what happens to them after he passes, I am just wondering if he could transfer that one gun to me at this time, I am only 19 years old at the moment, and if he isn't considered my grandfather he wouldn't be able to transfer them to me until I am over 21 correct?

He is not your grandfather. And you are not 21.

Even if you were 21, if he's not in California, he could not transfer them while alive to you at all (special exceptions for weird single-shot modifcations, C&R gun, or if you're a cop).

If he's in California, you could both meet at a CA FFL and do a PPT if you were 21.

Bequest/inheritance avoids that.

And the gun was never legally my grandmothers, he owned the gun and it is registered to him, but it is the one that she used and handled the most.

Somewhat irrelevant, community property. Outside of CA (possibly excepting a stupid unfree state like NY/MA/MD) no issue. Inside CA, this gun has been in possession for a long time before HSC cards etc. came into being. So for practical purposes its paper status is irrelevant and you shoulda gotten it from grandma when you could, or if her estate is still open and the executor decides to distribute it to you/

supersteve9219
01-29-2010, 9:03 PM
Almighty, glad to get it straightened out. Thanks.