PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Tapco Stock on an SKS

Victor
01-06-2006, 4:29 PM
Hey I finally got the SKS T6 Adjustable stock on my SKS and would like to share some pics with you guys. I had to shave a little bit of plastic off so that the trigger assembly could lock onto the receiver, but other than that the install was easy.

Comparing the Choate to the Tapco, I would say the Tapco stock looks cooler and more evil ;) , but the Choate feels smoother (hope that makes sense). They both add coolness factor to the SKS.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/vicgutierrez/SKS.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/vicgutierrez/SKS3.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/vicgutierrez/SKS2.jpg

Henry47
01-06-2006, 4:42 PM
detachable mag? pistol grip? am i missing something here?

Victor
01-06-2006, 4:43 PM
detachable mag? pistol grip? am i missing something here?

It's a fixed mag my friend.

Henry47
01-06-2006, 4:52 PM
It's a fixed mag my friend.

ahhhhhhhh:D

rangerT
01-06-2006, 5:18 PM
is it a USA brand mag? please give an update when you test it out. thanks

bob p.
01-06-2006, 5:40 PM
that is one nice sks. I am looking at changing the stock on one of mine. can you tell me about your scope and mount. I like the way that looks.

thanks

Victor
01-06-2006, 9:49 PM
Ranger, yes that is a USA brand mag. I bought it from sksman. I'm gunna try going shooting tomorrow (whether permitting) and will give you a report on how it works out.

Bob, the scope mount is built into the receiver cover. I bought it at a gun show, but don't know the brand name. I think it was about 40 bucks. The scope is just some cheap red dot site I got off eBay (Hammers brand). Pretty much any red dot would work on the rail.

fal_762x51
01-07-2006, 3:14 PM
Some of the USA 10rd. SKS mags are pieces of you know what. That does not mean return them, but I had issues with the lips and the spring. Nothing needle-nosed pliers can't care of.

czp01
01-07-2006, 4:22 PM
I think that's the nicest stock for an SKS ever made. Bootiful!

Victor
01-07-2006, 6:27 PM
Well I went to the range but was only able to shoot about 30 rounds. The mag worked fine which kinda surprised me. I had one ftf, the primer had a dimple on it so I'm guessing it was a bad round. The stock felt solid with no play at all.

akjunkie
01-07-2006, 10:48 PM
i take it, the rifle with the tapco stock required american parts becuz it has a Collapsible stock?

whereas, the rifle with the choat/dragunov stock has original foreign parts since it does NOT have a collapsible stock?

MrTuffPaws
01-08-2006, 11:40 AM
So what did you replace to become compliant?

Rascal
01-08-2006, 11:52 AM
i take it, the rifle with the tapco stock required american parts becuz it has a Collapsible stock?

whereas, the rifle with the choat/dragunov stock has original foreign parts since it does NOT have a collapsible stock?

I'm sorry, but eventhough he took off the bayonet and most other "non-sporting" features, the dragunov stock IS also a "non-sporting" feature and therefore needs to have the U.S.A. made parts, to no longer be subject to 922(r) regulations. The rifle IS in a illegal configuration as it stands right now in that picture. It will pas Kali law, but will fail FED law 922(r).

Victor
01-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Rascal is 100% correct. The parts to make my chinese compliant are on order. I wanted to see how the American made mag worked first.

akjunkie
01-08-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm sorry, but eventhough he took off the bayonet and most other "non-sporting" features, the dragunov stock IS also a "non-sporting" feature and therefore needs to have the U.S.A. made parts, to no longer be subject to 922(r) regulations. The rifle IS in a illegal configuration as it stands right now in that picture. It will pas Kali law, but will fail FED law 922(r).

ok, since this is calgun.net, i assume most of the members here are in california and their rifles and laws that apply to them are for california.

"it will pass Kali law, but will fail FED law 922r"

so in other words it is OK to put a dragunov or Tapco M4 stock on a chinese/ russian/ yugo, etc SKS withOUT the required American parts if u are in Kali??????????????????

Victor
01-08-2006, 12:21 PM
so in other words it is OK to put a dragunov or Tapco M4 stock on a chinese/ russian/ yugo, etc SKS withOUT the required American parts if u are in Kali??????????????????

No, federal regulation applies to all states.

Rascal
01-08-2006, 4:52 PM
What Victor neglected to tell you was that IMMEDIATELY AFTER he took that picture, he took that stock off and put the original stock back on, so as to be in compliance with 922(r).

akjunkie
01-08-2006, 5:09 PM
ok, Kool. just seem kinda odd to me, considering i've seen ATI/Choate/Fiberforce, etc. thumbhole stocks on the market since the 80's for the SKS. no one made a fuss about american parts for the SKS before.

oh well, f*ck it.

tygerpaw
01-08-2006, 5:36 PM
Hey Victor, I saw you on the 50 yrd line yesterday! I thought that rifle looked familiar. I didnt know you were a Calguns member, I would have stopped and said hi. I was there shooting my two new Stag-15's:D on the 25 w/ my son and daughter and brother (first time shooter).

Victor
01-08-2006, 7:04 PM
Thanks Rascal ;)

tygerpaw, I thought I saw an AR type rifle on the 25 yard line but didn't take a second look. Are you a member of the Yolo County Sportsman? Yesterday was my first time there but I'm thinking about joining.
Yea I was trying to site in that red dot but was unsuccessful :(. As soon as I build up one of my lowers you'll see me there more often. Look forward to hearing from you.
-Vic

shopkeep
01-08-2006, 8:08 PM
Heh, I shoot over at the Yolo Sportsman's association. I shoot my evil guns there like the SOCOM-16 I have tricked out with an EOtech, 3 point tactical sling, etc. Dig the crappy 20 round Norinco M-14 mags I'm seen with around there sometimes too :D! Other than that you'll see me with my M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M-1903A3, and other US Service rifles.

As long as the parts get to my home in time this week, you'll be seeing me there this upcomming weekend with my first CA Legal .223 self loading rifle. I'm building it on one of my S**gs. Jeff the Rangemaster rocks btw!

Hey, we should get a Yolo .223 shoot together sometime!

tygerpaw
01-09-2006, 6:00 AM
Victor, I've been a member for about 4 yrs now. YOu should join - $50/yr for a family, $40/individual membership, its a great deal. My kids and I get our monies worth!

Jeff the Rangemaster is a great guy too. He'll do what ever he can to help you sight in or whatever problems you might be having - even though he "hates brass throwers", he is a real nice guy. Just dont violate any of the safety rules - he will let you know you have in the most loud and quite embarassing way!! Which is a good thing. Keeps me on my toes, I dont want to suffer the wrath of Jeff. I saw him throw a guy off the range one day because he was walking w/ a 22 semiauto that was loaded. He grabbed the rifle out of the guys hand, ejected 10 rds, told him to get out and never come back. Jeff then told the guys 10 yr old son that he should be ashamed of his father! Neither that father nor his son will ever forget that lesson!!

See ya at the range!

AidanN20
01-27-2006, 12:02 AM
When you guys refer to how that rifle is not federally legal in the configuration in the picture.

Would a Yuko (stripping clip, fixed mag) SKS be legal in that setup??

I just put that same stock on my yugo model with an aim point M2 but no bayonet...

Is this CA legal?

Rascal
01-27-2006, 10:50 AM
When you guys refer to how that rifle is not federally legal in the configuration in the picture.

Would a Yuko (stripping clip, fixed mag) SKS be legal in that setup??

I just put that same stock on my yugo model with an aim point M2 but no bayonet...

Is this CA legal?

You need to play the 10 or less foreign parts game to get around 922(r)

Supernam
01-27-2006, 11:33 AM
i just sold my sks to fund my AR. :o

Victor
01-27-2006, 11:34 AM
The worst part about playing the 10 parts game is the USA brand fixed mags suck. I thought I got lucky and that my mag didn't suck, but sure enough I started to get FTFs last weekend. On the other hand, as long as you don't put more than 7 rounds into the mag it works fine.

Victor
01-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh BTW thanks for using the search button.

sintax
01-27-2006, 4:13 PM
no bubba....no.....

AidanN20
01-31-2006, 11:46 PM
The worst part about playing the 10 parts game is the USA brand fixed mags suck. I thought I got lucky and that my mag didn't suck, but sure enough I started to get FTFs last weekend. On the other hand, as long as you don't put more than 7 rounds into the mag it works fine.

I just looked into it.

Actually you dont have to conform to any import law etc 922(r) with the yugo, they arent banned, so you arent limited to what you can do to it.

Victor
02-01-2006, 9:36 AM
I just looked into it.

Actually you dont have to conform to any import law etc 922(r) with the yugo, they arent banned, so you arent limited to what you can do to it.

Check again buddy. ;)

Rascal
02-01-2006, 2:26 PM
I just looked into it.

You didn't read it correctly.
Any "Foreign made rifle" Must comply to 922(r) regulations, the only exceptions are C&R rifles, but that only applies if you have it in original configuration.
Once you change it out of "original configuration", it is no longer considered C&R and then MUST be in 922(r) compliance.
Kalifornia might not care, but FEDRAL Law DOES.

Lon Moer
02-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Actually, the SKS requires 5 US parts to be .922(r) compliant. The TAPCO stock equals 3 parts; handguard, pistol grip, buttstock, and the US magazine equals 3 parts; case, follower, floor plate. So, Victor's SKS is both Kaliban and Fed legal.

CowtownBallin
02-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Sweet looking SKS!

My M59 (not /66) Yugo slamfired a couple months back, so I took the bolt apart to clean it thoroughly, but it turns out the firing pin is bent. Nice. Time for one of those US-made shaved firing pins with the spring. http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Victor
02-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Actually, the SKS requires 5 US parts to be .922(r) compliant. The TAPCO stock equals 3 parts; handguard, pistol grip, buttstock, and the US magazine equals 3 parts; case, follower, floor plate. So, Victor's SKS is both Kaliban and Fed legal.

Where are you getting the number 5 from?? You need more than five. Yes the yugo in the picture is CA and Fed legal. The Choate stock on the Chinese SKS came off right after the picture because it did not have 10 US made parts on it.

Victor
02-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Sweet looking SKS!

My M59 (not /66) Yugo slamfired a couple months back, so I took the bolt apart to clean it thoroughly, but it turns out the firing pin is bent. Nice. Time for one of those US-made shaved firing pins with the spring. http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Thanks! I didn't know there was a US made firing pin. Do you think that the pin and spring count as two parts or one?

If it counts as two, you could probably do the following without changing the mag to meet 922r:
Firing pin
Firing pin spring
Stock
Pistol Grip
Hand Gaurd
Gas Piston
Op rod
I think we are short one piece without changing the mag :(. You could probably remove the rear sight and put on a Tech Sight sight to meet 922r. Maybe Rascal can chime in here??

Lon Moer
02-02-2006, 1:13 PM
Where are you getting the number 5 from?? You need more than five. Yes the yugo in the picture is CA and Fed legal. The Choate stock on the Chinese SKS came off right after the picture because it did not have 10 US made parts on it.
I think you are confused, there is no "10 US made parts" issue.
.922(r) says you can't have more than 10 FORIEGN parts out of the list of 17 "evil" parts. Not all of the 17 evil foriegn parts apply to all the affected guns.
The SKS only requires 5 US parts to meet the "not more than 10" requirement.
.922(r)
1, receiver
2, barrel
3, muzzle device
4, bolt
5, bolt carrier
6, gas piston
7, trigger housing/ lower receiver
8, operating rod/charge handle
9, trigger
10, hammer
11, sear