PDA

View Full Version : Filing an AR Upper Receiver Pin Holes

JPanimal
01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Ive got a Tactical Solutions dedicated 22lr upper and have it on my Calguns Lower and it runs great- the only thing is that the two receiver pins are super tight- the holes in the upper don't precisely match up with the lower.

Right now I get get the pins in with a good amount of force but I need to tap them out, which is getting inconvenient.

I'd like to file/sand the upper receiver pin holes a bit to make it fit a bit more easily, but I'd like some advice as to how to go about doing this with minimal risk/damage to the receiver. What grit sandpaper? or a small rasp or something? I appreciate any and all help!

Seesm
01-29-2010, 11:14 AM
If you were closer I would help you... Pm me I can give you some idea... Go a little at a time though.

tomd1584
01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
do you have extended takedown pins yet? might be easier to seperate the lower/upper with those before you go filing or sanding down the holes...

NSR500
01-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I'd leave it as is. Just keep shooting it and it'll loosen up over time. A lot of people like a tight fit and even buy things to make it tighter.

Bug Splat
01-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I'd leave it as is. Just keep shooting it and it'll loosen up over time. A lot of people like a tight fit and even buy things to make it tighter.

+1000

Tight is good. It will loosen up over time with shooting so just leave it.

turbochris
01-29-2010, 11:58 AM

+1 mines was so tight id have to get a puncd and tap it out every time. After a while it will just loosen up

JPanimal
01-29-2010, 12:22 PM
tomd1584: I haven't tried extended take down pins (I'm sure that would work though, great idea), however I'm not looking to spend the money...and to be honest, IMO looks kinda funky

Seesm: PM Sent

I understand that they should loosen up after shooting for awhile- here's my question on this:
I'm basing this on the assumption that the holes on the upper, and not the lower, are tight/off a bit- Will the holes loosen, or "break-in" despite the fact that its a dedicated .22lr upper? The thinking being that the low power rimfire round wont loosen things up as much as my .223 upper.

My .223 upper fits smoothly like a glove, and shooting it will loosen the lower receiver holes, not helping with the upper.

Thanks for all the answers and info- I know this isn't a serious problem by any stretch, just tinkering around :sweatdrop:

NSR500
01-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Even a .22 has recoil so over time it'll wear in. Sounds like your swapping uppers on that lower, so it'll wear in soon enough.

PaperPuncher
01-29-2010, 12:25 PM
File the pin, not the receiver. Which would you rather go too far with and have to replace?