View Full Version : How often do you call your lawmakers?

01-29-2010, 10:02 AM
OK, I know, I know... The up & coming cases that are in our favor are very well thought and planned out, and (IMO) we are getting more good news here than bad. With that said, I'm still hooked on calling my Assembly Member & State Senator on a weekly basis regarding the issues such as:

Shall Issue and the discrimination
The roster
LEO response time
And most of what is relavent.

When calling, I don't say things like "what part of shall not be infringed" and all that, everything is simple & to the point. In many cases, the person I'm talking with asks me about the recent UOC events, and my answer to that is that criminals don't UOC, they CCW without permits while laughing at the other 40,000 gun laws on the books.

They all know about the up & coming cases very well.

My question for the day is "Do we start inundating our State Lawmakers more often than once per week or daily" starting now for a major change in the GLs, and tell them that we are respectfully pushing them to start supporting more pro-2A bills, and oppose anti's that come up? I'm of the opinion that calling only when an anti bill, or pro bill is simply not enough, and we need to start calling everyday and writing at least once per week, although every day might be overdoing it. It only takes a few minutes. If bill collectors, telemarketers, etc. can call a person everyday and take the abuse they take, we shouldn't have a problem with making just as many calls.

There are thousands of CGN members here, and when we could come up with credible sources of information on how GC hasn't reduced the crime rate one tenth of one percent, they can't get it off their minds.

As another point I want to make, recently when the Washington AWB bill came up for discussion in the committee, there were way more individuals who were opposed to it than those who were for it, so when these things come up, the Bradys, the ACLUs & the other anti's don't show up as much as we do. The same goes for when calls come into a lawmaker's office.

I have called before in the past when these anti-bills were up for a vote, and staff members have literally been out of breath from having to hear from us non stop with their phones ringing off the hook. Right now, I couldn't say what the call volume would be on an average afternoon when there isn't a bill pro or anti, but it's a whole lot less than when bills like 962 & 357 are up for vote. Can we change that?

01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Coordinated calling too much and too often will get you ignored or sent to the fax line. Sacto is not interested in what you have to say, and they are quite adept at building a tolerance to vocal constituents. Let NRA/CRPA run the bills, and then we can give them strong, strategic support at appropriate times.

Energy expended on non-productive efforts is a net loss, sometimes carrying additional political downside; channel it into productive campaigns and create a net positive for the cause.

01-29-2010, 10:12 AM
It's rare that I call, mostly it's email and petitions. As far as RKBA goes most of my reps are firm in their positions and while it's not a waste of time it is damn close to it.