PDA

View Full Version : AK bolt hold open

D53
01-29-2010, 8:49 AM
So I searched the board using the search option and then used google to find a solution for a AK bolt hold open.

Now this is a two part question.

I understand that if you notch a AK selector switch you can make it hold the bolt open manually. But I wanted something that acted like an AR's bolt hold open set up. So while searching I found this link to another board (mods: hopefully this doesn't violate any of the rules, I didn't see anything in the rules about it) :
http://www.gunco.net/forums/f3/sticky-making-ak-bolt-hold-open-magazines-23843/

In the link the guy JB welded a spent casing to the follower, which on the last round would hold the bolt back. Now I understand that as soon as you drop the mag without putting your notched safety selector switch up, the bolt will fall back forward.

Question part1: Has anyone tried this and been successful?

Question part2: With CA 10 round law, would it be smarter to run a 9/30 round mag with the casing being counted as a round? Or make it a 10/30 with the casing not counting as a round? I only ask because in a legal case it could be argued that the casing is an 11th round even though it is perm. fixed to the magazine. I would rather ask and catch sh*t for it, then not ask and catch even more sh*t.

Thanks Chris

69Mach1
01-29-2010, 9:05 AM
No need to do the magazine mod. Yugoslavian AK magazines are already designed to do that now. Their followers go up far enough to engage the bolt and hold it back. The follower is also reinforced.

turbochris
01-29-2010, 9:10 AM
I was going to do a write up on missionman's bho mags. I was lucky enough to get one during the group buy ill have to get some pics later tonight. the mag works great but as you said when you take the mag out the bolt will spring forward. the reason I like the bho feature is I can feel the bolt lock back so I know Im out of ammo. I advise you to contact him on here and tell him I told you about the mags. ill get pictures by tonight and hopefully a full review

69Mach1
01-29-2010, 9:13 AM
I was going to do a write up on missionman's bho mags. I was lucky enough to get one during the group buy ill have to get some pics later tonight. the mag works great but as you said when you take the mag out the bolt will spring forward. the reason I like the bho feature is I can feel the bolt lock back so I know Im out of ammo. I advise you to contact him on here and tell him I told you about the mags. ill get pictures by tonight and hopefully a full review

Is this the Chinese follower and internal grinding to the mag mod?

turbochris
01-29-2010, 9:22 AM

dont see any internal grinding but the follower might been changed out. foller sticks up alot higher than the other mags I got.

69Mach1
01-29-2010, 9:25 AM
dont see any internal grinding but the follower might been changed out. foller sticks up alot higher than the other mags I got.

The back of the follower, is it solid? Is the magazine body steel with a blued finish and a rib running down the back?

turbochris
01-29-2010, 9:34 AM
not solid,steel black finish and single rib running vertical down the back

turbochris
01-29-2010, 9:44 AM
tried to upload pictures but my computer keeps freezing when I open the memory card. Ill post pictures around 1-2 when my girl gets home with the other computer.

Gio
01-29-2010, 10:34 AM

Since I was the one that supplied turbochris with the mag and I talked to Isaac aka MissionMTMan, he stated that he used a pair of pliers and oushed the dimples in to make the follower rise all the way up. It took me a few minutes to try and figure out which 4 mags out of a 100 were done like that since they were done randomly.

The grinding method is too much work, a few minutes of pushing out the dimples will get the same result. Yes they were the chinese mag with chinese followers ;)

-Gio

MissionMTMan
01-29-2010, 1:26 PM
Yep, that is really about it. The trick is to not scratch the outside part of the body of the magazine and to make sure you get those tabs pushed in right. It isn't too bad of a mod.

D53
01-30-2010, 12:57 PM
right on, thanks for the info on the mags guys

turbochris: Thanks for the link you pmed.

I think its time for someone to fabricate a bolt hold open sytem that has a catch ( like the AR) so you can change the make and then release the bolt, with the use of Yugo or modified mags.

69Mach1
01-30-2010, 1:24 PM
Just for reference, here is a Yugo factory magazine with the "hold open" follower.
http://ee.ar15.com/uploadImages/20090513/66406/Uploaded_633777942201718750_File.jpg

69Mach1
01-30-2010, 1:26 PM
right on, thanks for the info on the mags guys

turbochris: Thanks for the link you pmed.

I think its time for someone to fabricate a bolt hold open sytem that has a catch ( like the AR) so you can change the make and then release the bolt, with the use of Yugo or modified mags.

Although not like an AR system, you can adapt the Saiga bolt hold open lever. When the bolt locks back on the empty mag, just pull it back a little and lock it with the Saiga BHO tab. Then change mags and pull the charging handle back to release the BHO tab and reload.

But this is just as effective and is a bolt on piece.
http://media.midwayusa.com/HighRes/137198.jpg

D53
01-30-2010, 2:20 PM
Thanks 69Mach1 for the pics, they always help my simple self :D