PDA

View Full Version : Brady Campaign takes notice of microstamping hearing

CaliforniaLiberal
01-29-2010, 7:27 AM
Com'on CalGunners, we need a good turnout.

Get yourself a free Brady T-shirt while you're there.

You are needed in Sacramento on Feb. 17th!
Mark Your Calendars!
Who: CA Brady Campaign members, friends, and supporters
What: Public Hearing on Microstamping Regulations
When: Wednesday, February 17th, 9 a.m.
Where: Department of Water Resources Auditorium http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Sacramento&state=CA&address=1416+9th+St&zipcode=95814-5511&country=US&latitude=38.5759&longitude=-121.49685&geocode=ADDRESS
1416 9th Street, Sacramento, CA
Nearest Parking Garage: Corner of 10th & L Streets
Why: We need your presence at this upcoming hearing! This public hearing will be held for the purpose of receiving public comments regarding the proposed microstamping regulations. The Brady Campaign and our coalition partners are preparing their written comments to be submitted by the deadline. Our experts will be testifying. The NRA has been trying to stall the implementation of this important legislation that was signed by Gov. Schwarzenegger in 2007. We need supporters to show up (wearing Brady T-shirts) to fill the seats. I will have extra T-shirts. Let’s get a good showing from the Sacramento Valley Chapter! Please let me know if you plan to be there.
Three microstamping rule making documents can be viewed at: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/index.php#micro
Three years ago, the CA Brady Chapters worked hard to pass AB 1471 (microstamping). This law requires new handguns to have “microstamping technology” that enables bullet casings found at crime scenes to be positively linked to the crime gun. Microstamping will help law enforcement solve handgun crimes, reduce gang violence, and help reduce illegal trafficking of new semi-automatic handguns. We need to get this law implemented by the Attorney General soon!
Thanks,
Amanda Wilcox
California Chapters
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
530-432-2171
mmmnevadaco@nacctel.com
www.bradycampaign.org/CA

tiki
01-29-2010, 7:30 AM
Sounds like it would be fun to make up some Brady t-shirts and go down there and speak in opposition to microstamping. :)

CnCFunFactory
01-29-2010, 7:53 AM
Sounds like it would be fun to make up some Brady t-shirts and go down there and speak in opposition to microstamping. :)

Awesome, I want to see the video.:D

bwiese
01-29-2010, 8:09 AM
There will be maybe 5 soccer moms there.

NRA team, CGF, and Calgunners will own the room.

(I wonder if GOC's Sam Paredes will be coming? Which T-shirt will he wear, given he helped bring this about?)

More importantly, we will own the procedural matters.

More to come at the appropriate time...

adamsreeftank
01-29-2010, 8:58 AM
Calguns t-shirts FTW!

Kestryll
01-29-2010, 9:13 AM
Calguns t-shirts FTW!

Right here!!

http://gunsr4.us/

Walker
01-29-2010, 9:20 AM
Sadly I wont be able to make it. Hope to see some video of it though.

wildhawker
01-29-2010, 10:02 AM
In the calendar.

PEBKAC
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
I'll have to see, I might have a test that day, but given the way things are currently going it will probably be postponed until the week after.

MasterYong
01-29-2010, 10:14 AM
I want a Brady shirt so I can shoot it full of holes... then wear it to their meetings LOL.

What? That wouldn't be constructive? :D

I was under the impression this microstamping thing was already dead... did I miss something?

PEBKAC
01-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I was under the impression this microstamping thing was already dead... did I miss something?
Well, I'd say it still largely is, barring of course some miracle on the development front...but since when has impracticality and absurdity stopped the Brady bunch from making a stink about not getting their way? ;)

bwiese
01-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Custom-ventilated Brady shirts are indeed "bad form" here.

And while Calguns T-shirts are way cool in a variety of environments, I'd recommend and encourage at least collared shirts and decent pants, or sportcoat/slacks or suit & tie.

I encourage appropriate polish and demeanor. Outside eyes may be looking.

But we do need you here and we need to fill the room.

I was under the impression this microstamping
thing was already dead... did I miss something

In effect it is, but it has to be walked thru the various administrative procedures at the right time.

We can't say something is dead until there's a real live stake thru its heart.

kf6tac
01-29-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm kind of interested to see what the Brady Bunch people there will actually say.

"Yes, there are patent encumbrances, but THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

Rekrab
01-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Bring a firing pin and a file to show anyone there just how easy it is to "wipe the fingerprints right off."

Kestryll
01-29-2010, 10:41 AM
And while Calguns T-shirts are way cool in a variety of environments, I'd recommend and encourage at least collared shirts and decent pants, or sportcoat/slacks or suit & tie.

Collared shirts?

Vick's got those too!

http://www.gunsr4.us/image/polos.jpg

bwiese
01-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Collared shirts? Vick's got those too!

But those show my man-boobs. :)

wildhawker
01-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Is that what those were?! :eek:

GrizzlyGuy
01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
If you really wanted to be provocative, there's always the Vote From The Rooftops polo shirt (http://www.cafepress.com/+vote_from_the_rooftops_shirt_golf_shirt,24441975) : :eek: :43:

http://images5.cafepress.com/nocache/product/24441975v2147483647_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg

Lots of other 2A-related polo shirts here (http://www.cafepress.com/+firearms+mens-polos).

demnogis
01-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Make up some shirts that say "Brady Campaign Against Self Defense", "Brady Campaign Against Your Rights", or "Brady Campaign For More Victims". You choose...

Glock22Fan
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
"Brady Campaign:
F*** the Constitution!"

tiki
01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
How about "Microstamping is dead and so are you."

Ha ha ha ha ha.

MasterYong
01-29-2010, 12:07 PM
How about "Microstamping is dead and so are you."

Ha ha ha ha ha.

now that's just morbid :p

tiki
01-29-2010, 12:18 PM
now that's just morbid :p

I meant Microstamping as a technology and the Brady Campaign as an organization. (Ok, after incorporation)

Lateralus
01-29-2010, 1:15 PM
Bill took the words right out of my mouth.

The Bradys will be represented by 8-9 over-medicated hippies and soccer moms. Anyone here remember Nordyke? We packed out several courtrooms with people of all ages and ethnicities, and everyone came dressed to impress. The mental picture conjured up, in part due to groups such as the Brady Campaign, is sleeveless white rednecks with a Coors Lite in one hand and a Miller High Life in the other (presumably because they ran out of money for Coors Lite). I plan on attending, and I will either wear a nice suit with a Calguns nametag or my blue polo with some very nice slacks. Our image will be represented where we gather, and I rather it be a positive one. I can tell you right now how many Brady supporters will be dressed in nice business attire.....

We have the numbers advantage. We can't really voice opinions at this hearing, but that doesn't mean we can't make a statement.

Theseus
01-29-2010, 1:30 PM
http://claytonscott.info/pics/brady_hat.jpg (http://claytonscott.info/pics/brady_hat.jpg)
Or you could wear my hat. Read carefully.

PEBKAC
01-29-2010, 1:43 PM
http://claytonscott.info/pics/brady_hat.jpg (http://claytonscott.info/pics/brady_hat.jpg)
Or you could wear my hat. Read carefully.
It clashes a bit with a suit, but I do like it and a top hat might be laying it on a bit thick. Can these hats be acquired somewhere?

dantodd
01-29-2010, 1:55 PM

Just wear a bro.

nicki
01-29-2010, 2:17 PM
I will see if I can go.

At the public hearings it is critical that we have our designated speakers and that they make their key points, kind of like a running speech, even if different speakers.

We can't be just speaking facts, our points have to be EMOTIONALLY delivered because our opponents will be making emotional pleas.

We need to change our terms, standing up and talking about our rights is a waste of time with the Cal legislature. Those who are on are side are already there.

I suggest that we focus on that if the "technology did work", what difference would it make to someone who is using a stolen gun.

The Brady Bunch isn't for sensible gun laws, what they are for is "Victim Disarmament.

They are an organization full of people hostile to the Bill of Rights.

Let's focus on civil rights and compare the Brady Bunch to the KKK.

Driving up the costs of legal gun ownership is protects criminals and it leaves the most vunerable people in our society helpless.

The one area where Microstamping may help in investigations is police shootings where you have mulitple officers shooting guns and identifying which guns were where would be helpful, particularly in regards to potential police cover ups.

Of course Police officers are exempt from the laws requirement.:rolleyes:
Maybe we could get the NAACP to weigh in it.

Nicki

bigcalidave
01-29-2010, 2:18 PM
If they are showing up with brady t shirts, I think that as many of our guys as possible with the blue calguns polos would be excellent. I think that if everyone shows up in an unbranded suit / sport coat our turnout could be masked. If there is a large group of people wearing branded shirts but still looking professional, they will notice it! :D It's like in retail stores, every employee wears the same outfit to be instantly recognizable in a crowd.

Glock22Fan
01-29-2010, 2:43 PM
"Sensible Guns Laws
Save Lives!"

redbull addict
01-29-2010, 3:00 PM
Love it!

BillCA
01-29-2010, 3:41 PM
How many former Marines do we have who can go? Might look nice to see some of our veterans speak out from a "professional" perspective. Let them wear one of the shirts...
http://www.soldiercity.com/images/products/300PIX/1005_300PIX.JPG http://www.uswings.com/images/mil-tshirt_usmcinsignia225.jpg

And I agree with Nicki in the sense that besides some logical arguments, there should be some emotional ones. Like the waste of taxpayer dollars spent on a program easily defeated. Or that it is a boondoggle like so-called ballistic fingerprinting. Or the potential for persecution by a politically motivated DA if your gun's parts are so worn they don't "fingerprint", even though the owner can't tell.

bwiese
01-29-2010, 3:59 PM
And I agree with Nicki in the sense that besides some logical arguments, there should be some emotional ones. Like the waste of taxpayer dollars spent on a program easily defeated. Or that it is a boondoggle like so-called ballistic fingerprinting. Or the potential for persecution by a politically motivated DA if your gun's parts are so worn they don't "fingerprint", even though the owner can't tell.

While I sympathize with you & Nicki on these matters, this is not good, and will be ignored. Bradys yammering about dead children will be off-target too.

Emotional and broad hand-waving issues were better for hearings befpre the law was passed.

But the law has been passed, and these proposed regulations, and the discussion thereof, only deal with issues of the already-enacted law at hand. The sole focus is (and must be) on implementation details of the law, and not behavior of the law itself in its daily action.

hoffmang
01-29-2010, 5:25 PM
I've got to be in Chicago for the day job, but my words will be there. We need to show up in suits and talk about Heller, McDonald, and Intellectual Property. Take the high road gents.

-Gene

HowardW56
01-29-2010, 5:40 PM
"Sensible Guns Laws

Save Lives!"

I'd buy a shirt with that on it!

IrishPirate
01-29-2010, 7:40 PM
But the law has been passed, and these proposed regulations, and the discussion thereof, only deal with issues of the already-enacted law at hand. The sole focus is (and must be) on implementation details of the law, and not behavior of the law itself in its daily action.

Agreed. I'll do my best to be there. If this is a Brady bunch meeting though, will we even be given a chance to speak? I'd love to say a few words, as I'm sure everyone would, but seeing as a unified message is always the strongest...i think it best that we allow those who do this sort of thing for a living do the talking, or at least run your words by them first to get some feedback. I'm sure we'll all dress nice, but if we go in all emotionally charged screaming about how are rights are being abused and we wont stand for any more liberal nonsense....we might as well have flanel cutoffs and beer coozies in our hands

Liberty1
01-30-2010, 6:07 PM
If this is a Brady bunch meeting though, will we even be given a chance to speak?

This is a public regulatory meeting. Show up sign up and have your say!

nicki
01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
I have to clarify things, I agree with BWEISE that we need to have factual arguments, but if possible, we should try and put and emotinal spin into those arguments.

Nicki

AndrewMendez
01-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Make up some shirts that say "Brady Campaign Against Self Defense", "Brady Campaign Against Your Rights", or "Brady Campaign For More Victims". You choose...

How about Brady Campaign Supports Criminals!

jdberger
01-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Jackets and ties, folks. IIRC, at Nordyke I, the only person wearing a t-shirt was a Brady supporter. At Nordyke II it was Gorski.

anyone see the connection?

Anyway - even if we are "unbranded" it's pretty obvious who we are. We sit together, we all get up to talk from the same location, etc....

CABilly
01-31-2010, 2:56 AM
Why not something classy like everyone wear a nice jacket with a certain flower or pin, er... pinned to it.

I agree that you don't want to sink to the level of the people crowding around in their giant one-size-fits-all tee shirts. I also like the idea of an infiltrator in a Brady shirt talking about how great it would be for criminals to be able to just drop others' brass at crime scenes, and how it absolutely should instill more faith in the police since they would be exempt, and how patents and intelectual property are out-dated modes of thought and should be done away with for the greater good.

Theseus
01-31-2010, 10:37 AM
It clashes a bit with a suit, but I do like it and a top hat might be laying it on a bit thick. Can these hats be acquired somewhere?

No, I photo shopped this. Doesn't exist anywhere.