View Full Version : New Guy Here.... I have Questions

01-29-2010, 5:54 AM
Been reading for a while decided to register.

While I'm no newby to firearms. been handloading for 19 years, have developed a few wildcats, been shooting for 24 years.
The AR- 15 is new to me. I've had a Bushmaster stripped lower sitting in the safe since the AWB way back when and decided its time to put it together.

Question is since its been registered is ther any way to stay out of jail if a D- bag sherriff decides to pull me over on my way back from the range or a huntiung trip.
Keep in mind I follow the law and there is no reason to stop me but it does happen.

I intend to build a 20" upper post ban config, without all the goodies many of you have. But since the lower allows detachable magazines thats where I could see an issue.

Please help out the new guy.


01-29-2010, 6:04 AM
When you say it's registered do you mean as an assault weapon or just registered to your name? If just to your name, you should check it against the ban list. If it's on the list, you're pretty much sol. If not, buy and attach a bullet button device, buy some 10 round mags, and have a blast.

01-29-2010, 6:46 AM
Hypothetically of course- :rolleyes: a Bushmaster lower that is on the list is considered an AW. If it was indeed registered as such I believe you should have some sort of paperwork indicating it is a RAW. Keep a copy of those papers with you, and make sure to follow all transportation regulations as they are different than those for other rifles.

01-29-2010, 6:52 AM
Thanks , Yes its registered as an AW. Anyone know if i can get another copy of my paperwork as it has been several moves and years since then. Would a BB help keep me out of trouble. What different transportation issues am I looking at compared to other long guns?


01-29-2010, 6:56 AM
Since it is a reg'd aw anything goes. No bb needed.

You should have received a letter from the DOJ when you sent in your paperwork. You need to carry that paper with the rifle at all times.

01-29-2010, 6:57 AM
If it is indeed "registered" as an assault weapon and not merely DROSed to you (a lot of people confuse DROSing with "registration"), then you have no reason to fear arrest with a normal detachable magazine AR - you can even use your pre-ban high cap mags.

You will NEED to keep your registration paperwork with the rifle at all times. I would suggest a locking rifle case that you keep the AR and your paperwork in and for transport to/from the range. Contact the DOJ about getting a copy of your lost paperwork:

Assault Weapon Registration and Special Weapon Permits
Phone: (916) 263-8100
Fax: (916) 263-0790

Since you are so close to RifleGear in Costa Mesa I would suggest you just come on by and talk to us. We can answer many of your questions and you will see lots of AR products on the wall to help you decide what to build.

01-29-2010, 7:01 AM
If it's a RAW and you have the paperwork (I would keep the paperwork with the rifle at all times since DOJ has lost some records and isn't trustworthy) you can do any thing to it, as long as 16" barrel and 26" overall length and locked when traveling.

01-29-2010, 9:06 AM
is ther any way to stay out of jail if a D- bag sherriff decides to pull me over

Why would they be a D-bag? :rolleyes:

01-29-2010, 9:37 AM
It isn't required by law that you bring your AW registration paperwork with you. But it's not a bad idea to keep a COPY with you (keep the original at home) in case you run into an LEO who is not familiar with all the laws.

For future reference the relevant sections of the Penal Code for RAWs are 12275-78 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=12001-13000&file=12275-12278), 12280-82 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=12001-13000&file=12280-12282), and 12285-89.5 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=12001-13000&file=12285-12289.5).

If you plan to use a RAW for hunting on public land, you need to verify with the agency managing the public land that they allow it. On private land you need the property owner's permission. Frankly, it's probably easier to hunt with an off-list rifle since you don't need to deal with these restrictions. PC 12285(c):

(c) A person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a
.50 BMG rifle under this section may possess it only under any of
the following conditions unless a permit allowing additional uses is
first obtained under Section 12286:
(1) At that person's residence, place of business, or other
property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with
the owner's express permission.
(2) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private
club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing
shooting at targets.
(3) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business
license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(4) While on the premises of a shooting club which is licensed
pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(5) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational
project which is about firearms and which is sponsored by, conducted
under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a
nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or
promotes education about, firearms.
(6) While on publicly owned land if the possession and use of a
firearm described in Section 12276, 12276.1, 12276.5, or 12278, is
specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
(7) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between
any of the places mentioned in this subdivision, or to any licensed
gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, for
servicing or repair pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12290, if
the assault weapon is transported as required by Section 12026.1.

01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks I will contact DOJ for replacement paperwork as a RAW.

Dirtbiker Nice GSP!

Shark92651 PM inbound.


01-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Why would they be a D-bag? :rolleyes:

Some are... just the way it is. Not a blanket statement by any means.