PDA

View Full Version : What Grain Bullet is best for 30-06 1-11 twist

DTOMboy
01-29-2010, 1:22 AM
I have a Tikka T3 Light in 30-06 with a 1-11" twist. Any suggestions on what grain I should go with. I tried sighting it in with 180gr but I could not. It was walking all over the place. I had my friend try just to see if it was me. It was doing the same to him. Im guessing 180gr is to high.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

goodlookin1
01-29-2010, 6:44 AM
I have the same gun. I reload so I am using brass that is fire-formed to my chamber, plus measuring the powder as accurately as my needs merit. So far, my best 3 shot group @ 100 yards was about 1/2" using a Nosler 180 gr w/ Winchester brass (pre-shot and fire-formed) and W760 Powder. Looks like this (except it is 180 gr):

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=584152

I had better luck with the longer, heavier bullets than the 165 and 150 gr variants. The 165 Nosler's are a close second, but still not as consistent. This is strange since this goes against the typical grain vs twist ideology. Usually, heavier bullets need a faster twist rate to stabilize heavier (or really longer) bullets....but in the case of my Tikka Lite 30-06, it's been the opposite.

I am trying out some new 178 gr Hornady A-MAX's out this weekend with Ramshot Big Game this weekend.....

Just remember this: Dont go by grains, but by length of the bullet. Typically, the longer the bullet, the faster the twist rate should be. I dont know if you are reloading, but this will be the only way you can get a customized load with fire-formed brass for your exact chamber, without breaking the bank.

GM4spd
01-29-2010, 6:45 AM
I have a Tikka T3 Light in 30-06 with a 1-11" twist. Any suggestions on what grain I should go with. I tried sighting it in with 180gr but I could not. It was walking all over the place. I had my friend try just to see if it was me. It was doing the same to him. Im guessing 180gr is to high.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Try 150 or 165, Pete