View Full Version : 30-30 Ackley Improved: Worth it?

Army GI
01-28-2010, 10:03 PM
So I've been debating whether or not I should have one of my Winchester 94's reamed out to 30-30 Ackley Improved. I have heard about the .307, but I like the idea of having the the availability of the 30-30 casings and just forming them out with my die.

Has anyone ever tried this caliber? Have you noticed a difference? Is it worth the effort?

01-29-2010, 12:26 AM
I did some research over the summer, and what it came down to was if you reload (which i do) and don't mind buying the components (which I didn't), then all you need to do is get the chamber reamed out... which was more trouble than I was willing to go through. I tell you what though, I'd still like to have one over a 30-30, because ultimately you can use either load.

Army GI
01-29-2010, 8:11 AM
Well see that's what I was thinking. I do reload and 30-30 brass is plentiful. The only thing is if the additional 2% case capacity is worth the machining effort. "Will I see that much improvement over a maximum load 30-30" is what I want to know.

It's tempting, I just don't know if I want to do something permanent to my rifle. Plus I heard 30-30AT don't feed as smoothly.

01-29-2010, 8:14 AM
I would do it in a contender, but not in a lever gun.
Lever gun feeding can be really sensitive to cartridge shape.

01-29-2010, 8:38 AM
There wasn't anything wrong with the .30-30 for the first 115 years.

01-29-2010, 8:45 AM
I would do it in a contender, but not in a lever gun.
Lever gun feeding can be really sensitive to cartridge shape.

I also considered this, but the 30-30 really is fine as is.
Move to .308 or 30-06 (etc) if you really need more ooomph.
If you want some speed and trajectory improvements from the 30-30, try some 125 g bullets, or even some pointed bullets.
Pointed bullets are "Load 2 Only".
One in the chamber, one in the mag.

01-29-2010, 9:02 AM
Where the Ackley really improves your reloading experience is in case life , tapered cases tend to flow brass and stretch quite a bit...causing the reloader to trim cases a whole lot more and start to toss brass sooner before head separation occurs.

Comparing my 22-250 to my 22-250 Ackley Improved is night and day for both case life and trimming...sure the extra velocity/powder capacity is nice, but case benefits are even more noticeable.

For a non reloader I would say not worth it......for a reloader I would say yes in a firearm where cycling wouldnt become an issue, Like Randall said...I would be leary of doing a lever gun because of the possible cycling issues.

Army GI
01-29-2010, 2:17 PM
Gotya guys, thanks. I was thinking the same thing. Leverguns are loved because of their smooth operation, wouldn't want to mess that up just to burn more powder at the range.