PDA

View Full Version : chinese sks

dr_communist
01-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I have been told by 2 gun stores that if i have the folding bayonet attached to my Chinese sks that it is considered an assault weapon.

however, they told me that the russian and the yugo ones are perfectly allowed to have folding bayos.

can somebody tell me if this is true or not?:confused:

WW2Buff
01-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Yes, true. Chinese SKSs were imported as sporting arms so the bayonet attached is illegal. The other makes were imported under different titles which I am not sure of the name, perhaps assault or military. Again, not sure. But that's the reason. I am sure another member has more details.

-Ben

dr_communist
01-28-2010, 10:21 PM
i got mine as a gift from my grandfather. he bought it problably when i was born. which was before all the assault weapon madness.

but anyway if i am out shooting with the bayo on it, and i get caught what would the consequences be?

WW2Buff
01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I am very sure my answer is correct and just lacking detail, I would play it safe and remove the bayonet. -Ben

Mssr. Eleganté
01-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Having a bayonet on a Chinese SKS does not make it an assault weapon. Chinese SKSs were imported for many years with bayonets on them. Then around 1989 or 1990 the Feds made a determination that Chinese SKSs with bayonets or bayonet mounts were "non-sporting" and could no longer be imported. All of the Chinese SKSs imported before then should still have their bayonets. It's against the law to add a bayonet to a Chinese SKS that never had one, but that only affects the person who adds the bayonet. If somebody illegally adds a bayonet to a post 1990 import Chinese SKS, only the person who added the bayonet can get into trouble. Future owners of that SKS aren't affected, even though it still has the illegally added bayonet.

LasVegasTaxMan
01-28-2010, 10:43 PM
This may help: or at least get you started in knowing some important CA gun laws.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

WW2Buff
01-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Thank you for the clarification. -Ben

dr_communist
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
yes, thank you very much.

dr_communist
01-28-2010, 11:03 PM
also with my sks. does anybody know were i can look up the chinese markings that are stamped all over it? that would be appreciated to

Mssr. Eleganté
01-28-2010, 11:16 PM
also with my sks. does anybody know were i can look up the chinese markings that are stamped all over it? that would be appreciated to

This forum...

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=3.0

has a some sticky'd posts at the top with information on markings.

railroader
01-29-2010, 5:31 AM
I'm pretty sure Mssr. Eleganté has it right. Adding the bayo to a post 1989-1990 chinese sks is what the violation is. It's a violation of 922r. Then there is the question of how to correctly date a chinese sks. I'm not sure how that is done. Mark

Prince50
01-29-2010, 6:59 AM
only factory 26 Chicoms can be accuratly dated. It is not accurate enough for the ATF to clairify those post 1960 as C&R though.

It can be done, but for personal information only.

Regards,

Darin