PDA

View Full Version : AK optics?

ddcorral2622
01-28-2010, 9:31 PM
Any AK owners out there run any optics on their rifle? I'm getting tempted to try it out? If you do, can you give me some tips? Thanks!

ChrisO
01-28-2010, 9:59 PM
What kind of optic you looking to run? Red dot? Low power scope? I have ran several AK rigs "none of mine" With Red dot optics. The one sI enjoyed the most are a custom AK104 with a ultimak rail aimpoint t-1 and a rear peep back up. It was probably about one of the best ways I could think to mount a optic on a AK the optic did get quite hot but Aimpoints can take abuse. The other favorite was a tricked out lancaster with the ultimak and a XPS eotech and I really prefer the eotech reticle but there is no way to co witness with it and thats a big no for me. I don't have the money for optics so I shoot as much and as often as I can to get efficient with my poor man sights :) .

WW2Buff
01-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Can the XPS take the heat?

OP, look here:

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/

-Ben

ChrisO
01-28-2010, 10:06 PM
It took it just fine when I shot it and we put around 500 rounds down the pipe that day. Eotechs are not as bad as people think. In my buddies MP unit in baghdad their SAW gunner had a eotech on it and they called it the optic that wouldn't die, It survived a lot of s*** as well did the shooter :p .

WW2Buff
01-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Good to hear, I am a big fan of EOtechs but every one s***s on them all the time. I'm not going to be in any combat situation soon or plan on leaving my sight on for eight million years but I do not like the idea of ruining it due to heat.

-Ben

ChrisO
01-28-2010, 10:15 PM
You hear horror stories of Aimpoint's. There are just fanboys for everything out there so you get 2 sides of the story but most people are drinking the aimpoint koolaid especially with magpul preaching aimpoint. They are great optics but I really REALLY prefer the reticle on a eotech and wider field of view. A neat trick I learned from my buddy "The MP I mentioned earlier" while comparing battery life "the aimpoint obviously has the eotech beaten on that" but if you have NV capable Eotech keep it on the night vision setting and to preserve battery life and then click NV back off and it will go to your original setting ;) . Funny thing is he said most the guys he served with prefer the eotechs to aimpoints and their eotechs got beat to all hell.

AM9000
01-29-2010, 6:56 AM
A lot of talk about AK optics, and solutions other than the Ultimak here.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=255533

Here is my AK with Eotech...

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1669/zombiestomper.jpg

BTW... the only problem I have had with that setup, is brass hitting the battery compartment... so I moved the XPS back about an inch from where it is in that picture. Problem solved.

berg
01-29-2010, 8:37 AM
You hear horror stories of Aimpoint's...

You do? Where?

yellowfin
01-29-2010, 8:40 AM
You could go with the authentic Russian ones like the PK23 and the Kobra which were intended to be on the AK.

turbochris
01-29-2010, 8:41 AM
You do? Where?

he must mean the stories about how much the wallet hurts after you purchase one

ChrisO
01-29-2010, 9:10 AM
Aimpoints DO malfunction/break your a idiot if you think it doesn't happen. Like I said fanboys for everything. Aimpoints are rugged as S*** but it happens.

turbochris
01-29-2010, 9:17 AM
Aimpoints DO malfunction/break your a idiot if you think it doesn't happen. Like I said fanboys for everything. Aimpoints are rugged as S*** but it happens.

even the best products will not exceed some peoples expectations. I agree stuff does happen but how often do you here about problems with an aimpoint? I am not an aimpoint fanboy but I do own some. I prefer scopes or acogs

ChrisO
01-29-2010, 9:30 AM
I didn't say I hear it all the time but it does happen. There are plenty of classes that preach aimpoint and some that preach eotech. To me it's all about preference because both will hold up to some serious abuse. Thats why BUIS are a must because optics can and will fail at the worst possible time. like I said earlier in the post a lot of my buddies that have been deployed prefer the eotechs. They held up to some rugged stuff. I'm basically saying not to over look a eotech because you you hear all the aimpoint fanboys as they have their horror stories too. As far a as optics on a AK I prefer a Eotech or a T1. I have never tried those russian optics but they seem solid for the price.

killshot44
01-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Not to threadjack.........

Regardless of your optic choice, check out the TWS rail. Puts the optic farther back and away from a hot gas tube. The picture above shows one.

Just a great piece. Check out SolarTactical to get yours.

ddcorral2622
01-29-2010, 2:39 PM
What do you guys think of those side mounts? My AK came with the rail but no mount

turbochris
01-29-2010, 2:52 PM
What do you guys think of those side mounts? My AK came with the rail but no mount

personally think side mount is the best way to go they look the best and put the scope closer to you for easy and quick shots

MKfan
01-29-2010, 2:55 PM
The only optic I'm interested in on any of my AKs is the Irondot, good luck finding one for sale though.

Super Spy
01-29-2010, 3:35 PM
+1 on the Russian Kobra....I have one on the way, be happy to post pics once it shows up.

ChrisO
01-29-2010, 6:31 PM
I thought Larue was re engineering the AK iron dot and comming back out with a new and improved model. If so I will be in line for one of those bad boys :) .