PDA

View Full Version : SLO County Sheriff Candidate

choprzrul
01-28-2010, 9:10 PM
I had the good fortune of being seated next to SLO County Sheriff candidate this evening at the Arroyo Grande chamber of commerce installation dinner. I presented a question to him in as neutral of a manner as possible. I asked him "What is your position on May Issue vs Shall Issue of CCW". His response was very telling. He said that it is his opinion that each individual citizen is ultimately responsible for his/her safety and protection. The police simply cannot be expected to protect all of the citizens all of the time. He went on to say that it is his firm belief that the 2nd amendment guarantees our right to keep and bear arms. He plans to issue CCW, withing the confines of the state statutes, to the citizens of SLO county.

This experience this evening has left me with a very positive image of Mr. Cortez. He is a very down to earth person and I personally believe that he would make a very good sheriff. I have not met all of the other candidates (6 of them total I understand), but I would have no qualms in supporting this man.

These are just my observations. You can find out more about him here: http://www.cortezforsheriff.com/index.html

*Edit* Forgot, he also was familiar with McDonald vs Chicago and its effects on incorporation against the states. I was really surprised that a local LE candidate had even heard about McDonald.

CCWFacts
01-29-2010, 3:50 AM
I'm glad to hear it, but I have two questions:

Is he likely to win? Incumbent sheriffs are almost impossible to defeat. They stay in office until they retire, or are indicted. And when they retire they usually have anointed successors who will win.
A lot of candidates say things like that to get elected, and then do something different once they are in office.

Ford8N
01-29-2010, 5:27 AM
Be aware that Pat Hedges said basically the same thing at a candidates forum in Oceano during his election. Once they get in office it's back to the who ya know, golfing buddy system.

choprzrul
01-29-2010, 6:53 AM
I'm glad to hear it, but I have two questions:

Is he likely to win? Incumbent sheriffs are almost impossible to defeat. They stay in office until they retire, or are indicted. And when they retire they usually have anointed successors who will win.
A lot of candidates say things like that to get elected, and then do something different once they are in office.

The current sheriff is leaving office, so the field is wide open. During the course of the evening we engaged in conversation. Through that conversation, I got the feeling that this guy actually gets it. He went into depth regarding patrol density, how much area they have to cover, response times, and said that there is no way they can possibly protect all of the citizens of this county. He recognizes that we must have an avenue to self protection and sees CCW as a very viable solution. I really feel the Mr. Cortez has plenty of common sense and is really down to earth. He retired from the Pismo PD as chief back in 2008. Him and his wife have a tourist type of store in Pismo. I kinda got the feeling that being outside of LE for a couple of years has given him some insight into what the rest of us experience. I was surprised that he was familiar with the McDonald case. This tells me that he stays abreast of 2nd Amend. issues. I really feel that he is one of the good guys and is on our side. I've read people wrong in the past and may be wrong here, but these are the impressions I gained of the man during the evening.

Bill_in_SD
01-29-2010, 9:35 AM
Key statement:
"within the confines of the state statutes"

Refer to Orange County re: this same statement. You need something more solid if you expect anything more than the same policy there.

galekowitz
01-29-2010, 4:14 PM
I hit up a friend of mine who is helping Ian Parkinson's campaign. I would like to hear his position as well. I explained that calguns could be a great source of information and possible support from local members. Hopefully we hear how the release of thousands of felons, parole being scaled back by the state will effect CCW issuance.