PDA

View Full Version : Lever Action Carbines

Notblake
01-28-2010, 8:03 PM
Hey gunners, for a long time now I have been romancing a lever action rifle, and not for any particular reason (although the tactical lever-action makes me really happy for no particular reason) I have my HD squared away (12ga and reliable .40 cal) and I'm no hunter, so this gun will primarially be for plinking/range, and of course living out my zombie apocolypse fantasies in my mind.

I have been thinking about getting the marlin model 1894C chambered in .357mag/.38spl. I like it for the following reasons:

1 clean action (some aren't as nice)
2 side ejection (no rounds down the back of the shirt!)
3 drilled and tapped reciever (the thought of a cowboy gun with an acog [although I could never afford one] makes me happy!)
4 .38 is cheap(er) to buy and .357 out of a 18" barrel is scary (think 7.62X39 ballistics within 100yards)
5 compainon sidearm!!!!!!!!! forget your P90 and five seven, this is old school!
6 no magazine lugging around
7 liberals wont want to hang me for having a cowboy gun
8 9 rds capacity plus the ability to top off like a shotgun
9 ITS NOT TACTICOOL (unlike everything else I have)

SO, my question to you guys with lever action experience, keeping in mind that I am NOT a hunter, is .357 a good choice? If not, what would you suggest? what brand of lever action do you suggest? would there be another type of rifle that you would suggest for me considering my situation. I've got about $500 to spend here.

Thanks so much for any input, and thank god we have a forum of people who understand all the BS that we get pigeonholed into as Californians.

-Blake

yellowfin
01-28-2010, 8:11 PM
For #7, they should be the ones who are on trial. Turn things around on them.

Notblake
01-28-2010, 8:17 PM
For #7, they should be the ones who are on trial. Turn things around on them.

While I agree with you, theres not much I can do and I'm sure you agree that a lever action is alot less "scary" to Mr. CHP who is curious why I have an "illegal" ar15 in my trunk. also I dont have $2000 to spend on a rifle, or I'd already have an ar15.

Noobert
01-28-2010, 8:48 PM
I think it is fine for the 9 reasons, but if I were to get a lever action, I might drop the .357 and go for a 30-30 at the cost of capacity

El Gato
01-28-2010, 8:54 PM
Hey gunners, for a long time now I have been romancing a lever action rifle, and not for any particular reason (although the tactical lever-action makes me really happy for no particular reason) I have my HD squared away (12ga and reliable .40 cal) and I'm no hunter, so this gun will primarially be for plinking/range, and of course living out my zombie apocolypse fantasies in my mind.

I have been thinking about getting the marlin model 1894C chambered in .357mag/.38spl. I like it for the following reasons:

3 drilled and tapped reciever (the thought of a cowboy gun with an acog [although I could never afford one] makes me happy!)
4 .38 is cheap(er) to buy and .357 out of a 18" barrel is scary (think 7.62X39 ballistics within 100yards)
5 compainon sidearm!!!!!!!!! forget your P90 and five seven, this is old school!

SO, my question to you guys with lever action experience, keeping in mind that I am NOT a hunter, is .357 a good choice? If not, what would you suggest? what brand of lever action do you suggest? would there be another type of rifle that you would suggest for me considering my situation. I've got about $500 to spend here.

Thanks so much for any input, and thank god we have a forum of people who understand all the BS that we get pigeonholed into as Californians.

-Blake

very cool...
24/7 sight and you are good to go...

Trapper John
01-28-2010, 9:05 PM
Blake,

I just went through the same reasoning you have and will pick up a Marlin 1894 .44mag/.44spc next Wednesday. Can match it up with a revolver (already setting the stage for my next purchase) and do my own reloads for anything from plinking to short range hunting. I think it will also do well for HD. The only lever gun I have is a Marlin 39 22 and it is a blast to shoot. So now I'll be able to add lots of noise and recoil! LOL

Good luck in your search.

John

smle-man
01-28-2010, 9:08 PM
I like the Rossi/Navy Arms copy of the Winchester 92 for .357 mag. More compact, smoother lever throw, lighter. The Marlin it a bit chunky for a .357 mag.

Here's my tactical lever, a Marlin 336T in .30-30 :chris:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff237/smle-man/P1170295.jpg

The Rossi 92 with a 16" barrel in .357

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff237/smle-man/e78984e6.jpg

The ultimate sporting tactical hunting carbine: Remington 760 carbine in .30-06!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff237/smle-man/P1170287.jpg

Sheepdog1968
01-28-2010, 9:14 PM
Your reasoning sounds good to me for the 38/357. I can't help you with makes. I would not reccomend a 30-30. I find the recoil to be on the unpleasant side. More than a 308 Rem bolt action. My friend says his 30-30 beats him up more than his 300 Win mag bolt action. The only other caliber I'd consider would be a 22 LR. Still just as fun and for $25 you can shoot 500 rounds.

Notblake
01-28-2010, 9:18 PM
I think it is fine for the 9 reasons, but if I were to get a lever action, I might drop the .357 and go for a 30-30 at the cost of capacity

Thats what I was thinking too, but check this out, .357 mag 125GR JHP ballistics:
out of a 4 in revolver: 1603FPS
out of a 18.5 inch marlin: 2298FPS!!!!!!

VS. 7.62X39 russian 125 GR JHP: 2400 FPS

GRANTED: the .357 is wider in diameter than the .308 russian and 100FPS slower but still! I cant imagine a situation where as a civ I would rather have the .30-.30 when the .357/.38 is, cheaper to train with, holds more ammo and I can hand load only one caliber for both handgun and rifle. And really I think you would have to be past 150 yards for the .30-30 to be a significantly better round.

Notblake
01-28-2010, 9:22 PM
Smle, you like the rossi over the marlin? I have heard the exact opposite. Hmmmm more bolt running I will have to do!

Edit: Wait this has got me thinking now, People justify buying military rifles for the SHTF situation where rule of law breaks down and they wont be tried for doing what it takes to survive, because in court ANYONE would rather have a cowboy gun than an m16, BUT if the S did HTF for the price of your ar15 you could have a lever action or pump action for EVERY MEMBER of your family! they are easy to learn, they don't jam, they don't have complicated malfunction clearing drills. If the SHTF I'd much rather have 4 people with Marlins/winchesters/whatever than a single AR15.......................... HMM

OK CALGUNNERS, tomorrow we all need to go buy a bunch of cheap rifles to prepare! GOGOGO!

Just kidding of course ...... kind of ....

Edit again: and don't say "what if cost isn't a problem?" cause IT IS! and if it isn't for you, then good for you! Now get your butt down to orange county and buy me a M1A, I want an EBR stock, and a matching qcb trigicon daylight and nightvision sight.

G-Man WC
01-28-2010, 9:48 PM
You forgot to mention the best part, there is almost no recoil! A lever is a very accurate type of rifle open sighted and quick on the point to aquire your target. Also 357's coming out of an 18" pipe at 100yards or less will drop a deer. I have one and love it. -g

jinggoyd1967
01-28-2010, 9:57 PM
I have a .357mag Marlin 1894C for the very same reason listed by Notblake. I have had it for 4 years and will always be part of my collection.

You can add 1 more reason to the list. Kids and women love shooting the little rifle because the recoil is so gentle yet makes bigger holes than a .22lr.

Killawhale415
01-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Your reasoning sounds good to me for the 38/357. I can't help you with makes. I would not reccomend a 30-30. I find the recoil to be on the unpleasant side. More than a 308 Rem bolt action. My friend says his 30-30 beats him up more than his 300 Win mag bolt action. The only other caliber I'd consider would be a 22 LR. Still just as fun and for $25 you can shoot 500 rounds.

Dont mean to cap but the recoil is pretty managable on a 30-30, even comparable to my .308 lever action. Its a great round with pretty good stopping power. Even then id go with the 38/357 cause its great to have a rifle and a revolver on hand that uses the same round(s).
Vote marlin for your lever action in 2010.

ColdDeadHands1
01-28-2010, 10:06 PM
There is a Winchester Mod 94 Legacy in 44mag in the "Private Firearms For Sale" forum. My Dad has one and it is a BLAST to shoot. Very accurate too.

Quiet
01-28-2010, 10:47 PM
In CA, the great thing about tubular magzine fed lever-action firearms is that they are exempt from the large capacity magazine law [PC 12020(c)(25)(C)]. :43:

IMO...
If you get a lever-action go big! .45-70 FTW!!! :p

Penal Code 12020
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

Fred C Dobbs
01-28-2010, 11:11 PM
.357 is a good choice. Try HC110 powder. Works magic in mine. A friend says he gets great accuracy to 200 yards.
Shooting 38s is problematic unless it's a heavy bullet like a 180 grain seated out so the length will work with the carrier.
I've put a scope and a Williams receiver sight. Both work.
I also have one in 45 Colt and another Marlin 94 I rebarreled to 38-40 with a Green Mountain barrel. That one is a really accurate pleasant gun to shoot.
All these guns will shoot around an inch at 100 yards if you load carefully like weigh the lead bullet so there are no ringers etc.
I also have a Marlin 38-55 lever rifle and I fitted a vernier tang sight to that one along with a globe front. The key to shooting them well is to get the good sights on the gun. These guns had a problem initially because the reamers were SAAMI spec but the barrels were larger. This meant when you loaded the proper size lead bullet (.001") over bore diamerer, .379 in my case, the round was too fat in the neck area to chamber all the way. A good gunsmith throated the gun properly and it has shot like a demon since. I have gotten near two inches at 200 yards. For longer range you can't count on the standard .255 grain bullet over 400 yards or so. I substituted a 300 grain bullet from a Saeco 571 mold as I recall. A tapered bullet with a crimp groove. It is about the longest bullet the twist will stabilize and the heavier weight hangs better at long ranges.
That's about it. I love the guns. I hadn't shot the 38-55 for a while and wanted to shoot up some old ammo so I took it to the range. Offhand shooting I just kept ringing a pie plate sized gong at 100 yards.
The only Marlin I didn't like was a 44-40 they made and I picked up years ago. Turns out they use the same barrel as the 44 mag rifle and it was some weird slow twist like 1/32. I never got it to shoot right and sold it.
My only other experience with levers was to briefly own a Marlin lever in 45-70 but it kicked the bran muffins out of me and I sold it. I also owned a Winchester Canadian Centenial 30-30 lever 94 and the darn thing was really accurate with a load of Blue Dot and some weighed bullets. Nice gun, I just don't like the ejection setup and the lever action. No scope mounts easily and I didn't want to drill and tap for a Williams side mount. Sold it to a friend who hunts pigs with it.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/JCHiggins/RIFLES/Mar33694.jpg

Fred C Dobbs
01-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Want a nice legal trunk gun .Keltec SU16CA from Turners.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/JCHiggins/RIFLES/CIMG2601.jpg

Hova
01-28-2010, 11:49 PM
http://stevesgunz.com/

rossi/emf hartford 1892!

CaliforniaLiberal
01-29-2010, 1:41 AM

-Blake

I love my Marlin 1894C. It is extremely cool. Almost as fast as a semi-auto, accurate, very fun, very romantic. You deserve to own one.

An item I'd add to your list is the sound of the action. It almost sounds like a wind chime when you cycle a round. The action is intricate but not so much that you can't take it apart and put it back together seeing how all the parts work together like a symphony.

Tearing it down, cleaning and reassembling feels like a technological time machine, putting you into a high tech 1890s state of mind.

Get the AGI DVD and let Bob Dunlap walk you through the cleaning and repair as he explains the mind of James Marlin.

They can be hard to find sometimes, I found mine at a gunshop on GunBroker. They take a little bit of breaking in, the action gets smoother after a few hundred rounds.

CmpsdNoMore
01-29-2010, 3:16 AM
I've been considering getting a lever-action carbine. Part of the decision depends on testing some .357 and .44 magnum revolvers and how I like them compared to 1911s I've shot.

I used a friends .44 mag carbine to hunt this past season and it was awesome for walking through the thick Wisconsin woods. It was short enough that I didn't have to worry about it getting snagged on brush and so light it reminded me of when I'd play with my Red Ryder BB gun or one of my .22 rifles.

sevensix2x51
01-29-2010, 3:57 AM
Smle, you like the rossi over the marlin? I have heard the exact opposite. Hmmmm more bolt running I will have to do!

Edit: Wait this has got me thinking now, People justify buying military rifles for the SHTF situation where rule of law breaks down and they wont be tried for doing what it takes to survive, because in court ANYONE would rather have a cowboy gun than an m16, BUT if the S did HTF for the price of your ar15 you could have a lever action or pump action for EVERY MEMBER of your family! they are easy to learn, they don't jam, they don't have complicated malfunction clearing drills. If the SHTF I'd much rather have 4 people with Marlins/winchesters/whatever than a single AR15.......................... HMM

OK CALGUNNERS, tomorrow we all need to go buy a bunch of cheap rifles to prepare! GOGOGO!

Just kidding of course ...... kind of ....

Edit again: and don't say "what if cost isn't a problem?" cause IT IS! and if it isn't for you, then good for you! Now get your butt down to orange county and buy me a M1A, I want an EBR stock, and a matching qcb trigicon daylight and nightvision sight.

thats why i buy mosins 3 at a time. :TFH::D

but seriously, i do buy mosins 3 at a time, for just that reason.

plankowner
01-29-2010, 5:08 AM
I have a winchester 94 trapper and it is a great little rifle for plinking and having fun with , my girlfriend and her daughter have a great time with it hardly any recoil,and hits a lot harder than most people think.I also keep this one as a hd gun after my 870

oddball
01-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Notblake, most of your listed reasons matched mine when I bought a Marlin 1894C in .357Mag. I love the look of the octagonal barrel and I'm just barely breaking it in (I only have less than 100 rds thru it). It was a no-brainer since I already have a Ruger SP 101 .357. I have not shot .38 Specials thru it yet.

Picking it up and holding it, engaging the action, etc. is a bit more fun right now than my ARs. There is an "old-world" feeling I get when I hold it ;).

chuckdc
01-29-2010, 5:18 PM
I have one of the last Winchester 94s I could get my grubbies onto when they stopped making them. Mine's a .357 and it freakin' ROCKS!. Magnum loads do bark just a little , but .38s are like firing a .22, except with a lot more effect. My personal one is the short one. The only drawback is it is somewhat weighty for what it is. It's pure fun, though. Wadcutter .38s don't feed well, though. I'm also a little leery of roundnose loads, so I stick with SWCs or hollowpoints. Darn it.. now I want to take it out and shoot it some again.

G-Man WC
01-29-2010, 5:48 PM
Target at 50yards on her first range trip. -g
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/gkolokousis/IMG_0216.jpg

NapaCountyShooter
01-29-2010, 5:53 PM
I have a Marlin 30-30 and I love it. Tight action, accurate, recoil is very manageable. Lever actions are so cool too. If ammo wasn't so expensive, I'd shoot it as much as my semi autos. .357's are cool, but my stepdad has a lever action in .44 mag which is really nice because there's still almost no recoil and it's nice to have a little extra thump. Either way, it's a nice thing to match up with a revolver (or desert eagle) to consolidate calibers. Good luck.

ElvenSoul
01-29-2010, 6:09 PM
The Rossi does get a bad rap. However with a little gunsmithing. Damn I miss my old 16" .357 Rossi.

ElvenSoul
01-29-2010, 6:10 PM
Don't wory about scopes...those russian side mounts work damn good. Wish I had pics. Sold the rifle last year.

Mstnpete
01-29-2010, 6:16 PM
My current Levers.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/amgguy/IMG_1053-1.jpg

Both are Marlin. Marlin 336w & Marlin 336SDT Trapper 30-30 caliber.
The Marlin 336 SDT Trapper is a 16" barrel and only 500 were made.
I was lucky to get the 93rd edition. The serial states SDT93XXX.

Big 5 has good sales on Lever Action rifles for about $425.00 for a .357

hellraiser
01-29-2010, 6:41 PM
to the o.p.... i like your way of thinking!!! ive always wanted one too for a number of reasons you mentioned.

but...

I "heard" that some lever actions chamberd in .38/.357 can be problematic at times...something like they shoot 357 fine but can have failures to feed with .38.

Any truth to that? or is it fud? also heard some dont like flat nose rounds...

smle-man
01-29-2010, 10:37 PM
The Rossi does get a bad rap. However with a little gunsmithing. Damn I miss my old 16" .357 Rossi.

I've had the Rossi since 1982. Puts 1,000s of rounds through it. Nothing has broken. It is lighter and slimmer than either the Marlin or Winchester. I believe the Rossi lever throw has a shorter arc than the Marlin. The Marlin can be cleaned from the breech which is an advantage. In .357 the Rossi has it over either of the domestic lever carbines. I think it is a little light for .44 mag however.

23 Blast
01-30-2010, 8:43 AM
A while back I had bought a .357/.38 combo - a S&W model 66, and a puma 92 with the 24" octagonal barrel. Both are in stainless, and at the time, my thinking was that if I was going to pare down my collection to just those two guns, so much the better if they were in a common caliber. At the time, I was having financial difficulties and thought that going to a simple two gun, one caliber setup (that I would then buy reloading supplies for) made money sense.

Looking back at that decision, I love the revolver, but the rifle isn't all that practical with that long of a barrel. If I had to do it over, I'd get the 20" barrel instead. The rifle is remarkably accurate, but the stock sights are terrible they're akin to what you'd find on a Red Ryder BB gun, and just as prone to bending, etc. Someday I'll upgrade that sight to something better.

23 Blast
01-30-2010, 8:51 AM
I "heard" that some lever actions chamberd in .38/.357 can be problematic at times...something like they shoot 357 fine but can have failures to feed with .38.

fwiw, on my puma 92 (brazilian copy of win92), 38s with very short bullets don't work very well. I have several boxes of blazer .38+p that has a fmj flatnose and sits very low in the casing. Obviously the revolvers aren't bothered by it, but it's shortness gives the lever action fits. My particular gun also has a hard time feeding non-jacketed bullets. The lead noses (whatever shape) seem to mash themselves into the top of the chamber and won't feed. Jacketed bullets don't have this problem, even the hollowpoints with exposed lead at the very front.

otteray
01-30-2010, 8:07 PM
to the o.p.... i like your way of thinking!!! ive always wanted one too for a number of reasons you mentioned.

but...

With some exceptions, tube fed leverguns require flat nosed ammo in order to safely prevent primer detonation in the tubular magazine.
Your choice of the .357 Marlin is a good one.
Beside being fun, Marlins are very easy to disassemble for cleaning / repair.
They are are quick, accurate and reliable.

gunslinger387
02-04-2010, 7:55 PM
I have both a Marlin 94 and a Rossi 92. The Marlin seems to be a better gun and is even a limited edition but for whatever reasons I really prefer the Rossi. It is a bit smaller light and points more natural. It also is smoother and feeds 38 or 357 without a hitch, the Marlin is a little finicky with 38's.

They are both awesome guns for all the previously mentioned items.

LongRangeShootin
02-14-2010, 8:48 AM
i own a rossi M92 large loop saddle ring trapper carbine in 38sp/357, and have to say, if you havent had the oprotunity to check one out, your missing out. very well made,high polished blue (no potmetal),NICE walnut and a sweet shooter. no problems with LRN cowboy 38s either. only problem i had with it is when i first picked it up, i took it to the range and found it shot quite high, a new front sight (which was a blooper on rossis end, as the trapper guns are supposed to have a taller front sight and some dimwit installed one of the shorter 20" model sights on the front at the factory...rather than wait for rossi to send the new sight, i went over to skinner sights and bought a higher one so i could lower it to adjust for my specific handloads) :)

i hate to say it, i really do, but the rossi 357 lever gun i own makes both my marlin 1894cb and my winchester 94 trapper large loop 357 both look like pieces of cheap trash compared.

Army GI
02-14-2010, 10:08 AM

+1

In my opinion, If you're going with a lever action rifle, get a real rifle caliber.

NorcalGSG
02-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Interesting to hear about the Puma rifles. I saw them at a shop somewhere, but I haven't tried one yet. Really curious about them, seeing as how Winchester is out of commission on levers now. I still love my .22 levers because they never jam:)

rockdogz
02-14-2010, 11:22 AM
I really want a Marlin lever for the same reasons as the OP... However in a .44.

I've seen the 1894 on sale at Tuners but I've been waiting to get the CB version - but they're like $300 more! I guess it's the fancy octagonal barrel? :confused: