PDA

View Full Version : "Not Evil" Rifle

dfletcher
01-28-2010, 7:55 PM
A quick recount, my 223 Volquartsen Evolution spent 6 of it's 18 months being repaired and went back to the factory twice, last time beyond repair and was replaced by a new gun. From the start, shattered bolt assembly, 3 broken extractors and finally a cracked bolt carrier group ended it. The gun couldn't fire 100 rounds without breaking.

I just spent 4 months waiting for a replacement, was told several times "it's done" only to find it not done because they couldn't get the stock right. It finally showed today & the stock (which I specified as their brown laminate) looks like a rough, shellaced and unstained 2 X 4. So I'm done dealing with Volquartsen, the gun and experience has been nothing but a disaster from day one.

My intent is to either send the gun back to Volquartsen or sell it off.
I do like the idea of a 223 that can use detach hi caps because it has no PG. What else is out there in the $2,000.00 price range?

I have a Mini 14 being worked on by Accuracy Systems, but it's being turned into a short gun, not a target rifle per se. But I see they have some bigger heavier stuff, anyone got one from them?

Any other suggestions?

X-NewYawker
01-28-2010, 8:00 PM
This really makes me sad because I have had a lot of feeding/mag related problems with my Volquartsen Evolution. As you said, the coolest IDEA for a SA rifle for CA -- I just want it to work every time.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Volq-evo-Carbon.jpg

Jpach
01-28-2010, 8:22 PM
Build a featureless AR. Will most likely be cheaper than the Volquarstsh*t and more accurate.

dfletcher
01-28-2010, 8:33 PM
Build a featureless AR. Will most likely be cheaper than the Volquarstsh*t and more accurate.

I have plenty of ARs, don't need another.

technique
01-28-2010, 8:44 PM
Most folks say those Volquartsen guns aren't even accurate...at least not enough to justify the price tag.

Get a Keltec.....(snicker)

Richie Caketown
01-28-2010, 8:46 PM
r700

Squidward
01-28-2010, 8:48 PM
Take a look at the Remington 7615

dfletcher
01-28-2010, 8:49 PM
This really makes me sad because I have had a lot of feeding/mag related problems with my Volquartsen Evolution. As you said, the coolest IDEA for a SA rifle for CA -- I just want it to work every time.

You know, I don't think that's ever going to happen and here's why. The gun I bought nearly 2 years ago was serial # EV00204. I remember it because mine's a 223 and the serial # is 204, the only other caliber it's made in. The one I just received is EV00324 - so in two years they've made 120 units. My theory is that anyone at Volquartsen who's involved with the Evolution is busy fixing them.

I also had mag problems with mine, wouldn't use PMags at all. I'll tell you, if that were my only problem I'd be happy as hell.

What frosts my butt on this is it took an additional 3 weeks of being told "it's done" only to find they hadn't completed the stock - then they went to the SHOT show last week and couldn't even tell me where the damn gun was. I later found out they had issues with their stock laminating process.

No one could look at the stock they sent and call it brown, it looks like pale pine with a touch of green between the laminate - not to mention the smell, the damn thing isn't even fully cured. I'd just as soon strip, stain & oil the thing myself, but if the gun doesn't shoot well I'd be trying to sell a refinished gun and if the stock warps the factory may not help. So I'm left with a rifle which, to be blunt, I want to play with about as much as an exgirlfriend.

As I told Stephanie @ Volquartsen, this is the worst gun buying/ownership experience I've ever had in 40 years of shooting. Unless there's something else out there I'm calling Accuracy Systems tomorrow, it looks like they have some heavy barreled Minis aith an accuracy guarantee. They're expensive but at least I know the damn things don't break and they work.

dfletcher
01-28-2010, 8:52 PM
Most folks say those Volquartsen guns aren't even accurate...at least not enough to justify the price tag.

Get a Keltec.....(snicker)

It took me a while to find factory ammo that gave good accuracy and the UltraMax 52 BTHP reloads from Cabelas worked great. And no kidding, my friend has a Keltec, I needle the hell out of him and call it a "Kraptec" but he's been giving me hell considering that his gun has worked fine while this thing's been nothing but problems.

X-NewYawker
01-28-2010, 9:19 PM

And not as legal problem free.
No matter what you think.
"They" still have Black Rifles in their sights.
Pray for Republican Victories in November.

And the volquatrtsen is WAY more accurate than one of those Ar rattle traps.
When it fires.

technique
01-28-2010, 9:26 PM
When it fires.

I think (hope he chimes in) BigBamBoo may disagree with that.
I can almost bet, his JP's fire better, and more accurately. I read him saying he was very unimpressed with his volquatrtsen from an accuracy stand point. He may have even got rid of it.

X-NewYawker
01-28-2010, 9:31 PM
I'm mostly sick of his knee jerk reaction:
Poster asks what Mini-14 he should buy -- everybody jumps in, "Get an AR" Poster asks which bolt action rifle to get, everybody jumps in, "Get an AR"
Poster aks which artificial heart to get, everyone jumps in, "Get an AR"

We freaking ALL have ARs. That's why we're here.
But sometimes we want appraisals of OTHER rifles.

dfletcher
01-28-2010, 9:35 PM

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Volq-evo-Carbon.jpg

Just curious - what style stock is that?

264charlie
01-28-2010, 10:02 PM
And not as legal problem free.
No matter what you think.
"They" still have Black Rifles in their sights.
Pray for Republican Victories in November.

When it fires.

Understanding "we all have ARs", way spread untrue FUD? I own and know of may accurate ARs (JP anyone). I don't even think you could get WAY more accurate, regardless of platform. Randall may chime in with some groups of his neck turned ARs.

I understand the OP or you might not want a 3rd, 4th or 5th AR but don't try and justify a Volguatrtsen purchase with accuracy.

dfletcher
01-29-2010, 7:53 AM
So to get away from how wonderful the AR is and back on track, anyone have a non-evil rifle semi auto rifle in mind for a few $$$ shy of two grand? Nothing on Accuracy Systems already built Minis?

Maybe I should scope a BAR and put my old 20 round mags to good use?

Bug Splat
01-29-2010, 8:07 AM
How about a Match M1A? Semi-auto, accurate, under/around $2K.

ar15barrels
01-29-2010, 8:07 AM
I do like the idea of a 223 that can use detach hi caps because it has no PG. What else is out there in the $2,000.00 price range?

Build a remington 700 using Puff's bottom metal that takes mini 14 magazines.

ar15barrels
01-29-2010, 8:12 AM
Randall may chime in with some groups of his neck turned ARs.

I have built AR's that will shoot 1/4 moa groups.
The harder part is finding shooters that can do that.

dfletcher
01-29-2010, 8:26 AM
How about a Match M1A? Semi-auto, accurate, under/around $2K.

Already got a Loaded and a Scout, plus trying to go with 223.

yellowfin
01-29-2010, 8:36 AM
That looks like a 10/22 to me.

dfletcher
01-29-2010, 3:15 PM
That looks like a 10/22 to me.

Yep - unfortunately the stock on this $2,000.00 rifle doesn't look nearly so nice as the one on a 10/22. :(

KaLiFORNIA
01-29-2010, 7:56 PM
Newer kel-tec's arent bad . The su-16's have chrome lined barrels and reciever, heavier barrel... granted the bi-pod is a novelty at best. Replace that with a different forend and you have a reliable, accurate, light weight,foldable rifle that accepts ar mags. Granted its no ar , but for 2 grand u can get 3 su-16's :63: :no:

Jpach
01-29-2010, 9:08 PM
I'm mostly sick of his knee jerk reaction:
Poster asks what Mini-14 he should buy -- everybody jumps in, "Get an AR" Poster asks which bolt action rifle to get, everybody jumps in, "Get an AR"
Poster aks which artificial heart to get, everyone jumps in, "Get an AR"

Well then they shouldnt complain when their mini-14s or bolt actions are less accurate and less reliable than ARs.

And btw, from the federal AW bills that have come around in recent years but happily have not come to fruition, they are much more encompassing than the '94 ban. Pretty much anything semi-auto. Even Garands! So there really is no benefit from a future legal standpoint to go with a non-AR mini-14 looking creature that turns out sucking (for much more might I add). Sure its cool if you want that, but do it for the right reasons and do it if theres actually one out there that works. Otherwise, get something that does work.

In conclusion, featureless AR is probably the best idea for an accurate semi-auto. Inherently more accurate than piston designs (at least when comparing price and all things created equal). My Bushy upper shoots dime sized groups with so-so American Eagle soft point with no bipod, standard trigger, and 4x scope. Its pretty reliable and didnt cost me $2K btw.

No disrespect, just responding to your response.

PS, I know that people suggest ARs even when the OP specifically asks about a gun that is a non-AR. It can be uncool at times. In the end, its just being a good neighbor or friend. Its all on how we come across in suggesting something I guess.

Jpach
01-29-2010, 9:12 PM
I have plenty of ARs, don't need another.

Understood. In that case, I cant help you. I dont know what else is $2K is .223 and is accurate and reliable. And I mean that in all seriousness.

Why dont you build a .260 AR? Or are the big .308 based ARs still out of the question? In that case, FAL? Im sure you could get a cool one for $2K.

DarkHorse
01-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Build a remington 700 using Puff's bottom metal that takes mini 14 magazines.

Link!?!

I happen to have a 700ADL in .223, and it would be freaking awesome if I could use detachable mags in it.

dfletcher
01-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Understood. In that case, I cant help you. I dont know what else is $2K is .223 and is accurate and reliable. And I mean that in all seriousness.

Why dont you build a .260 AR? Or are the big .308 based ARs still out of the question? In that case, FAL? Im sure you could get a cool one for $2K.

I've got a 308 (POF) and a DSA FAL. I don't want anything semi auto to load for because I don't like losing brass or spending time chasing it down at the range. I save my reloading for bolt, lever or single shot stuff.

Didn't H & K make some self loaders - SL7 or something like it?

ar15barrels
01-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Link!?!

I happen to have a 700ADL in .223, and it would be freaking awesome if I could use detachable mags in it.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=869460&page=1

The guy that makes it goes by "puff" here on calguns.
It takes some machining of the action.

ar15barrels
01-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Didn't H & K make some self loaders - SL7 or something like it?

SL8's.

Q
01-30-2010, 3:28 AM
http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13:the-sl6&catid=13:the-sporting-rifles&Itemid=5
Looks like a good choice to me with the 10rd mags.

Rob454
01-30-2010, 6:41 AM

I dont have a AR.:D Thinking about getting one but its not a priority to me.
To the OP. Can you send the rifle back and demand your money back? I f youpaid by CC you can call your CC and let them know what happend

dfletcher
01-30-2010, 9:28 AM
SL8's.

SL8 is pistol gripped, the SL7 is not but it's 7.62. There was a 223 version, think 770.

The DRis
01-30-2010, 10:16 AM
So you've got that POS, mini-14's, and AR's that are SA and .223. You don't have many options. You sound like you want a mini, so buy a damn mini

X-NewYawker
01-30-2010, 10:30 AM
So you've got that POS, mini-14's, and AR's that are SA and .223. You don't have many options. You sound like you want a mini, so buy a damn mini

Yes. Mini. And have it worked over with a bedded stock and a match barrel. It will shoulder better than our finned featureless ARs...

Toolbox X
01-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, get an HK SL6.

Jpach
01-30-2010, 1:02 PM
Yes. Mini. And have it worked over with a bedded stock and a match barrel. It will shoulder better than our finned featureless ARs...

Yeah, I guess a $2k mini should do. Ive seen some pretty cool custom ones before. Even the new target ones are nice (didnt you have one?). They shoot surprisingly well, especially considering the old ones had so many complaints about accuracy

X-NewYawker
01-30-2010, 3:01 PM
Yeah, I guess a $2k mini should do. Ive seen some pretty cool custom ones before. Even the new target ones are nice (didnt you have one?). They shoot surprisingly well, especially considering the old ones had so many complaints about accuracy

Liked the way it shot but I was dumping 223 money heavily into LMTS -- and only 1:9 twist -- sop would be great 55 grain varmint rifle.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Scarstock.jpg

X-NewYawker
01-30-2010, 3:02 PM
if you want a mini have one of the custom smiths give it a 1:7 barrel and pin/bed the action or get the SAGE legal stock

X-NewYawker
01-30-2010, 3:06 PM
AND Ruger MIni 14 Target on gunbroker with hogue stock Buy it Now for under $800 with scope rings and barrel harmonics dampener. Just buy a scope and some 40, 50, or 55 grain ammo and you're THERE.

Cool Hand Luke
01-30-2010, 3:28 PM
Liked the way it shot but I was dumping 223 money heavily into LMTS -- and only 1:9 twist -- sop would be great 55 grain varmint rifle.

Out of honest curiosity, why would you have a mounted light on a scoped rifle? :confused:

X-NewYawker
01-30-2010, 3:58 PM
Out of honest curiosity, why would you have a mounted light on a scoped rifle? :confused:

Sound in my house at night. Want to make sure the intruder is not my son sneaking in late from an after-Warhammer donut shop visit.

Dragunov
01-30-2010, 4:35 PM
Newer kel-tec's arent bad . The su-16's have chrome lined barrels and reciever, heavier barrel... granted the bi-pod is a novelty at best. Replace that with a different forend and you have a reliable, accurate, light weight,foldable rifle that accepts ar mags. Granted its no ar , but for 2 grand u can get 3 su-16's :63: :no:

I agree, I've had my SU16b for two years. Goes BANG every time I pull the trigger and hit's the same target in the same place as my friends Stag AR every time.

ar15barrels
01-30-2010, 7:53 PM

Those are really nice gloves.

NRAhighpowershooter
01-30-2010, 8:00 PM
Poster aks which artificial heart to get, everyone jumps in,

aks??? ebonics at work here???!! :p

ar15barrels
01-30-2010, 8:30 PM
aks??? ebonics at work here???!! :p

Silly white boy.
He aint done ax you no question...

dfletcher
01-31-2010, 3:57 AM
Well, I'm going to go with one of these: http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php

I'll do item 012.

I already have their shorty, unlike the Volquartsen at least this damn thing will work. I don't want to use the Ruger factory with the barrel dampener.

X-NewYawker
01-31-2010, 8:22 AM
Those are really nice gloves.

Blackhawk hellstorm and they are really the most comfortable tactical gloves I've tried.

CALI-gula
01-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Really sad to hear of dfletcher's lament; Volquartsen was once synonymous with quality - what happened to them? Are they resting on laurels, or did someone become an alcoholic on all that money they made over the years, someone that works on the guns, and drinks while doing it?

For the price of these things, it's inexcusable. I've come close to buying Volquartsen guns in the past, as they are a good-looking gun over-the-counter. But dfletcher's conveyance is not the only story I've heard of late of Volquartsens with serious quality/performance issues, and we're talking about the kind of anecdotes that seem more in line with Vulcan/Hesse arms than of the supposed legacy Volquartsen promotes.

I feel like a funeral should be held for Volquartsen. What can I say to dfletcher other than "Sorry for your loss" ? :(

X-NewYawker
01-31-2010, 10:43 AM
The .22 LR Volquartsens are still the best in the land. I've bought some in the last year and their quality was as good as ever.
They may have bitten off more than they could chew trying to make this new action -- what I don't understand is that they didn't wait until ALL the bugs (magazine incompatibility, FTF) were resolved before this gun showed up in stores.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_8597.jpg

dfletcher
04-24-2010, 9:49 PM
I don't know if this counts as a necro post, but I wanted to check in with the other Evolution owners, ask how their guns are doing & recount my experience with Volquartsen since my last post.

The good news -Volquartsen gave me a new rifle to replace the one that kept crapping out. The bad news - absolutely the worst execution of customer service I've ever experienced. From Oct 09 when I returned the old gun to getting the replacement in Feb 10 I had to deal with no responses, no one knew where the replacement gun was, what stage of being done it was in, etc. I was consistently told "next week" and nothing happened.

When the gun finally arrived in Feb 10, after several "it will be shipped tomorrow" broken promises, the gun had a pale, unfinished wood color instead of brown. Looked like natural wood with no dye, even though I had told them a brown laminate (like the original) was most important to me. I don't think the rifle should have even been shipped with this stock, it wasn't a matter of "kind of close" it was a stock with its wood in natural state with clear coat only. No problem they said. Return the stock & we'll send you a replacement. I returned the stock Feb 16th. Week one, nothing. Week two, nothing. And weeks 3,4 and 5. Each call I was told "next week, for sure". The damn thing finally arrived April 22nd. Over two months waiting for a stock.

I'm pretty patient, have other guns to shoot while this one is being replaced. I have to say I don't think I will ever buy another Volquartsen product, the aggravation was very frustrating.

So, I'm hoping this one works - anyone want to tell me how theirs is doing?