PDA

View Full Version : Things to do with a spare Mini 14 and SU-16

Dont Tread on Me
01-06-2006, 8:51 AM
I expect to have a spare Mini 14 and SU-16 very soon. Any ideas on what to do with them other than use them as door stops:-)

rssslvr
01-06-2006, 8:53 AM
sell them now and buy more receivers:D

Gnote
01-06-2006, 9:00 AM
SHOOT THEM.:p

I would get the compact forend for the Keltec. It looks cool.

Stevil
01-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Sell the Mini, keep the SU for a backpacking/truck gun. +1 on the forend mod.

Gunner1
01-06-2006, 12:33 PM
+1 on the prior advice. The SU16 is a neat little carbine that is still useful. The Ruger well, a lamp maybe?

Gunner

GTKrockeTT
01-06-2006, 12:46 PM
keep everything!

DrjonesUSA
01-06-2006, 3:40 PM
I expect to have a spare Mini 14 and SU-16 very soon. Any ideas on what to do with them other than use them as door stops:-)

Whatever you do, don't sell them.

1) I've NEVER read a story of someone selling a reliable, fully operational gun who didn't later regret selling that gun.

2) It will only get more difficult and expensive to buy guns in CA.

DON'T SELL YOUR GUNS OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!

iridesportbikes
01-06-2006, 4:07 PM
Keep the SU-16.

check out this video i found on KTrange.com

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeonrw7/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/s4010053.avi

sintax
01-06-2006, 4:10 PM
$400 cash for the Su-16 =)

Stanze
01-06-2006, 4:12 PM

1) I've NEVER read a story of someone selling a reliable, fully operational gun who didn't later regret selling that gun.

2) It will only get more difficult and expensive to buy guns in CA.

Yup, I regret selling my Ruger Mini-14 Ranch model w/ factory 30 round mag, Choate pistol grip/folding stock, Harris Bi-Pod and 4X Scope in the mid 90's.

It never jammed, it hit everything I aimed it at, and only paid $240.00 for it used.

I used to slag off SKS rifles because they weren't "AKs", sold my Hungarian SA-85(AK Sporter) and now can own a SKS and not a AK in CA.(I'm not making a effort to score a non-listed AK reciever, I don't have the time and resources at this point.)

Keep your guns.

sintax
01-06-2006, 4:28 PM
Honestly though, there should never really be a reason to sell a gun unless you have 2-3 of the same gun, then i could justify parting ways.

Just oil it up and lock it in the safe. Worse comes to worse pass it down to family members later in life.

bassplayrr
01-06-2006, 5:04 PM
Potential trolling by a lucky AR-15 owner? ;)

deez
01-06-2006, 5:50 PM
don't sell any of your guns...trust me, you'll regret it. :(

tenpercentfirearms
01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
sell them now and buy more receiversThat is exactly what I did. Sold my SU-16A for $400 and what do you know, that bought my three receivers and gun locks with a little change to spare. It was probably my reloads, but I couldn't get that thing to work right and how long can that plastic really last?

Sell it! You can't take it with you when you die.

Dont Tread on Me
01-07-2006, 9:28 AM
You are all right - I should hang on to them. They will not be as restricted as my ARs (if they get listed). I can keep the mini-14 in the truck while on the farm and it would look a lot better in a court room if I have to use it on a non 4 legged pest.

I do admire the Mini-14's reliability.

Matt-man
01-07-2006, 1:52 PM

Honestly though, there should never really be a reason to sell a gun unless you have 2-3 of the same gun, then i could justify parting ways.

I'll present the dissenting opinion. IMHO there are plenty of reasons to sell guns.

I've sold umpteen firearms that I ended up not liking, didn't shoot, or whatever. No regrets, any of them. Most of the time I turned around and bought some other gun. I don't have infinite money or space, so hanging on to something that's just taking up space because I might change my mind sometime down the road doesn't make sense to me. Especially when I could get rid of it and have something else that might suit my needs better.

Of course, there's stuff that I know to hang on to. Belgian Auto-5s, old Pythons... not for sale. But stuff like Glocks, Kimbers, and yes, Mini-14s? Gone.

SC_00_05
01-08-2006, 8:34 PM
Just keep buying and add to your collection.

shopkeep
01-08-2006, 9:01 PM
_NEVER_ break the gun owner's oath:

"NEVER sell a gun to buy a gun."

There is never a time that I've sold something and not lived to regret it. Despite getting an AMAZING $800 for my Norico AK-47 that I had only paid $249 for, I have always regretted selling it instead of registering it. True, it was 10 MOA accuracy at best (9 MOA with my amazing $25 Wal-Mart scope I mounted on it!), but at least with the reciever registered I could have upgraded it!

Keep your Mini-14 and Kel-Tech. Besides, the closer the unlisted lowers get to being banned the more undesirable and less valuable those rifles will get. Last time I checked, Kel-Techs are pretty damn cool!

Don't forget the Kel-Tech will probably be banned in the near future along with the SOCOM-16, SOCOM II, Cali-FAL, G3 fixed mag clones, and Robinson M-96. Once they get the procedure down to add unlisted lowers don't be surprised to see the paperwork get processed on these as well.

DrjonesUSA
01-09-2006, 9:15 AM
Don't forget the Kel-Tech will probably be banned in the near future along with the SOCOM-16, SOCOM II,

Why do you say that?

Stevil
01-10-2006, 12:42 AM
er... dude, we live in Kalifornia, it's inevitable some Liberal Demoncrat politico pi$$-wad with a stick up their ***** will try legislation n' get lucky... gun owners are California's punch ball. :D

outfittu
01-10-2006, 1:00 AM
It really depends on the type of person one is.

Me, i can sell almost anything and not bat an eye. There are some things of course that are dear to my heart or have utility to me that i wont sell. However, most things i own i would not miss parting with, thats just me.

Some people are different and there things mean a lot to them.

Its not good or bad, it is what it is and one has to determine what kind of person they are and if there guns or things they have are important in life.

kosmo
01-12-2006, 12:48 PM
---------------------------------

bwiese
01-12-2006, 1:09 PM

Perhaps - but I'm glad I sold my S/S Mini 14 factory folder in 2002 for $975.

Esp. nice given I bought it on sale for $289? in 1988.

Ruger Mini14s are crap rifles in terms of accuracy - they make Wolf ammo not look so bad.

Now, I am a bit torn up about selling my HK91 out of state in 1995 even though I sold it for $1975 (? approx). [I bought it in 86 for $475.] I figured at the time the AW grief, paperwork, etc. wasn't worth it and 223 was cheaper to shoot thru my AR.

Hopi
01-12-2006, 2:00 PM
Perhaps - but I'm glad I sold my S/S Mini 14 factory folder in 2002 for $975.

Esp. nice given I bought it on sale for $289? in 1988.

Ruger Mini14s are crap rifles in terms of accuracy - they make Wolf ammo not look so bad.

Now, I am a bit torn up about selling my HK91 out of state in 1995 even though I sold it for $1975 (? approx). [I bought it in 86 for $475.] I figured at the time the AW grief, paperwork, etc. wasn't worth it and 223 was cheaper to shoot thru my AR.

C'mon Bill, you're dissolving our A-team fantasies and aspirations!

Stevil
01-12-2006, 8:01 PM
LOL, why do you think they never hit anyone. :D

HEUER
01-12-2006, 8:16 PM
Living in Northern California we get a lot of rain. When I was in college my friend's and I would shoot on a private ranch when my friends parents would go on vacation. The mini 14 is a super fun rifle to shoot when it's raining lightly. Very easy to keep clean. Keep your Mini for a rainy day. :)

Stevil
01-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Actually why don't you just hang-on to 'em for a while till all this AR nonsense gets settled.

M14Gunman
01-13-2006, 2:18 PM
I have gone 4 months without a job. I have somehow been able to keep the house payment made and the car payment though the car payment is due again in 10 days and it is $468.00.

All of my cars have expired tags, I have no car insurance because I could not afford it and I have been eating top ramin for 2 weeks now. I have sold a car and nearly everything else not nailed down to make ends meet. I still have every one of my guns though...

$5000 worth of fine firearms sitting in my closet. No ammo to speak of but thats not important; they will be the last things to leave my home as I pack up and move out after foreclosure.

P.S.
I found a job yesterday and I start next week... things are looking up :)

crs1
01-13-2006, 9:13 PM
I would keep the mini 14...A very capable rifle. I took a tactical carbine class last weekend, I was the only one with a Mini. 1200 rounds and only a couple misfeeds. Many of the AR's had to clean and lube up after 500. I was skeptical about the mini at first, but after this I am a proud owner...I'd still like to have an M4 though!!! (or 2) By the way, Wolf ammo won't work well in the Mini.

As for selling guns, I'm kicking myself for selling my Mak 90's before the ban.

RW Dunn
01-13-2006, 9:38 PM
Well let me tell you something on getting rid of firearms. Back in 89 i got rid of my Daewoo k1 .223 and norinco sks(AK-47).223 trading them for a 30-30 and 30-06 for pig and deer hunting. A discision i still regret a decade and half later.I thinking then that they'll still be available when i want to buy more later. since the ban i've been forced to buy a fab10,su-16.,other purchase also and finally of late 2 (saving grace)superior Arms Recievers and hopefully a couple of other brands.My point is collect, collect and collect some more, never sell firearms.Some of these shooters on this forum and other forums never new what purchases could be made back before 90,91 and later years.This state that i've lived in for the past 37yrs was a different state 15 yrs ago,so be lucky for every piece of your collection you have and if you got on this bonazza for recievers count yourself lucky.Always protect your Armory,family and friends.Vote for your rights and always protect your rights to own and possess Firearms,always think before you purchase or act"how is this action going to affect my ability to purchase and own firearms in the future". period

crs1
01-14-2006, 10:31 AM
-- RWDUNN...

To damn funny man, I traded my Mak 90's for a 30-30 and a 30-06 also...Something must have been going around. I have since traded my 30-30 cause I never used it, but the 06 I can't do without.

zefflyn
01-14-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm halfway between the points of view "never sell" and "sell away."

Personally, I've bought many guns, and sold most of them to buy other guns. Heck, right now, I'm selling a 1911, and just sold a Python, to get two other guns I've been eyeing. What good would it do me to keep two guns that aren't my absolute favorites and not own two guns that might be? How much better use will the two new owners have out of those guns?

If you have all the storage space in the world, go ahead and hoard all the guns you can afford, and we'll buy them on the cheap at your estate sale. :D

MaceWindu
01-14-2006, 1:03 PM
I would keep the mini 14...A very capable rifle. I took a tactical carbine class last weekend, I was the only one with a Mini. 1200 rounds and only a couple misfeeds. Many of the AR's had to clean and lube up after 500. I was skeptical about the mini at first, but after this I am a proud owner...I'd still like to have an M4 though!!! (or 2) By the way, Wolf ammo won't work well in the Mini.

As for selling guns, I'm kicking myself for selling my Mak 90's before the ban.

Yup, very capable...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Triggerman/ASI4001.bmp

Tough as nails and eats WOLF like candy....

Mace

HEUER
01-14-2006, 1:09 PM
As a lot of folks on this board know, I have sold quite a few rifles to finance projects.

I sold the following rifles in the past two years:

Remington 700 ADL .223 synthetic (sold to board member, accurate rifle)
Remington 700 Mountain LSS in 7mm-08 (death ray)
Marlin 336 ss 30-30 (this was a super accurate rifle, unbelievable)
Ruger 99/44 deerfield carbine 44 mag (led thrower)
Ruger Mini 30 (fun and reliable)
IAI m1 carbine (fun)
AR7 charter arms (shot barrel out)
9317 savage .17 hmr (best rifle on the market value wise in this caliber)
Ruger MK 77 Mark 1 30-06 ( top tang safety, like a mossberg pump)

I sold the rifles because I standardized my hunting/military cartridges to four. I can pretty much hunt anyting (except large bear) with four cartridges. 223 (5.56x45) 308 win (7.62 x 51) 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag (I am aware that there are differences between 5.56x45 and 223 but some of my auto loaders will eat both).

It also allowed me to upgrade to a nicer 30-06 rifle and another semi auto 7.62x51.

I was also able to buy ammo in bulk. Odd calibers are great and a lot of fun, if you have the resources. I do not. I stock only 3 or four boxes of seven.

The majority of magazines that I had purchased prior to 2000 were made for 223 or 308 anyway.

Except for the Remington 700 ADL .223 synthetic I have zero regrets. That rifle shot just as well as my 700 VSSF.

So, I sold the rifles in a strategic move to upgrade and consolidate calibers. The ammo situation has worked out very well.

Black Majik
01-14-2006, 1:12 PM
Sell it to finance more lowers? :)

HEUER
01-14-2006, 1:15 PM
Yes, sell me your M1A's cheap. ;)

Justang
01-14-2006, 2:21 PM
I really don't understand selling your guns. I buy every single one of my guns with the thought that I will keep them forever.

RW Dunn
01-14-2006, 7:32 PM
-- RWDUNN...

To damn funny man, I traded my Mak 90's for a 30-30 and a 30-06 also...Something must have been going around. I have since traded my 30-30 cause I never used it, but the 06 I can't do without.
Ya i like to think it as my young and dumb days lol.

WhiteSands
01-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I will keep my SU16CA.

So far all this talk of lowers OFF LIST only nets a rifle with a fixed 10 round mag which must be loaded with a stripper clip.

I'll take a functional weird looking rifle with mags over a non fuctional great looking rifle with no mags.