PDA

View Full Version : AR night at the range

gun toting monkeyboy
01-28-2010, 7:01 PM
SO I stopped by American Shooting Center tonight to sight in a featureless AR. I wasn't paying too much attention to the other shooters when I went in, as I only had a little time to play. I finished up and looked around as I was packing up. There was an AR in over have the lanes. The guy shooting next to me was a fellow Calgunner, there with his first build. A nice carbine, by the way. As I headed out, I took a few moments to look at people's guns over their shoulders. I didn't see one that wasn't configured correctly. The shooters looked like they ran the gamut, from younger men, to older women, to wives or girlfriends. Pretty much everybody. Either I happened in on a fluke night, or people are really, really starting to get the message on OLLs. It was good to see that people are not only shooting more ARs than they used to, but they are doing it the right way. I just figured I would let you guys know.

-Mb

p.s. Anybody up for organizing a real AR night at ASC some time?

Flogger23m
01-28-2010, 7:04 PM
Last time I went shooting, around half the people were shooting AR-15s as well as me.

Evo
01-28-2010, 7:06 PM
I've been to angeles probably 6 times in the last month and have seen at least 2 ARs every time. When my build is done I'll be bringing mine :)

turbochris
01-28-2010, 7:13 PM
also been seeing alot of ar's lately

lugee
01-28-2010, 7:25 PM
AR's are pretty common at Burro canyon. Usually I am the only one with an AK pattern.

Humboldt
01-28-2010, 7:38 PM
I always see AR's at the range up here in Eureka, they are very common.

slick_711
01-28-2010, 7:55 PM

I'd come. :p

Maybe you could even take it a step beyond all showing up, and coordinate with ASC. I'd have to approach the management and see what could be worked out, but I'm sure if it was all Calgunners on one side of the range turning off the lights for a bit would be acceptable. I know a lot of you guys have flashlights on your rifles that probably don't see much use. That's something I was pondering earlier today actually. Maybe something else. I can't speak for the management's interest in any such ideas, but I'd be glad to approach them with potential ideas if a Calguns AR night was something you guys wanted to do. Do it on a weeknight when business at the range is slow, and it'd be more feasible.

gun toting monkeyboy
01-28-2010, 8:05 PM
I'd come. :p

Even if you had to work... ;)

SoCalRandy
01-28-2010, 8:26 PM

I would be interested....

Richie Caketown
01-28-2010, 8:42 PM
count me in , ive got an AR Aimpoint to sight in and an M&P45 to break in

asgalindez
01-29-2010, 12:03 AM
I was at American Shooting Center on monday. I was on lane 4. Lanes 5, 6, and 7 each had ARs. I felt left out...I only had my WASR-10 and Draco that day.:43:

I'd like to try shooting the 460V in the dark!

slipangle
01-29-2010, 1:09 AM
Let me know if you're going to do this.

gun toting monkeyboy
01-29-2010, 6:54 AM
Slick, which nights would be best? And what night works for the rest of you? I don't see any reason we can't try to set one up for next week. It's not like we have to make any advanced reservations or anything. Let's pick a night and do a 5-7 session. Unless, of course, ASC can be convinced to stay open a bit later for us...

-Mb

evidens83
01-29-2010, 6:58 AM
I always see ARs nowadays at my local range. It kinda felt cool having everybody ooh and aww at my rifle but now its a common sighting. At least we know the OLL movement is in full swing!

mif_slim
01-29-2010, 8:13 AM
Its too bad that everywhere else in CA people are gunners but right here where Im at, seems like theres only two or three guys on Calguns! I wouldnt mind holding a AR night but dang....two people? :(

Buddhabelly
01-29-2010, 8:32 AM
Its too bad that everywhere else in CA people are gunners but right here where Im at, seems like theres only two or three guys on Calguns! I wouldnt mind holding a AR night but dang....two people? :(

May be if you come down under the Rainbow, there'll be more than 2??... :D

Just playing with you based on your stated location.

WeekendWarrior
01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I always see a ton of ARs at Richmond R&G and Chabot. It's good to see a lot more people are buying them. I feel like the more there are the more "legitimate" they are in the eyes of the law and LEOs in general.

God Bless The Mauser
01-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I was driving to Spenceville one time and passed a guy that was pulled over on the side of the road and I guess he was going hunting and he had an AR leaning against the fence post. Funny how ARs are so common now in CA people don't really care anymore. I've only had one person ask me about my AR at the range lately but he was an AR shooter and liked that it was a BCM. I bet when I get my MG42 built with a lafette tripod that will bring more attention.

Chach
01-29-2010, 11:47 AM
See a lot of AR's up here in Sacramento. Used to only see one or two at the range a few years back, now there's usually no less than 5.

I bet when I get my MG42 built with a lafette tripod that will bring more attention.

I've set up both my 1919 & MG42 out at Sac Valley, they didn't attract as much attention as I thought they would. In fact I got more questions about my JAE stocked M25 than the 42. ;)

Federalist
01-29-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't go to ASC often, but would love to join a Calgunners' AR night at ASC. It would be sweet to be able to be able to turn off the lights and use our weapon mounted lights! (And I rarely get to see how well my AAC Blackout flash hider works.) Either way, it would be great to meet some other Calgunners in town. Keep us posted if this happens.

MasterYong
01-29-2010, 2:13 PM
I always see AR's at the range up here in Eureka, they are very common.

me too... but you DO mean the range in Manilla... right?

If there's a rifle range in Eureka then I don't even know where I am anymore!

I don't think I've ever seen an AK though. Once I think I saw a Saiga, but I didn't get close enough to really get a look...

Humboldt
01-29-2010, 2:19 PM
Never see AK's here either, maybe because nobody will dros one in humboldt?

MasterYong
01-29-2010, 2:23 PM

Yeah dude if you keep your location hidden in your profile, it's tough to find folks in your area. That's why I added mine a few months back.

MasterYong
01-29-2010, 2:30 PM
Never see AK's here either, maybe because nobody will dros one in humboldt?

I know an FFL that will. PM if interested.

slick_711
01-31-2010, 8:04 PM
Slick, which nights would be best? And what night works for the rest of you? I don't see any reason we can't try to set one up for next week. It's not like we have to make any advanced reservations or anything. Let's pick a night and do a 5-7 session. Unless, of course, ASC can be convinced to stay open a bit later for us...

-Mb

Well from what I've seen when I'm there Monday & Tuesday evenings are their slowest nights, I'm that's when they would most welcome an organized group. If that didn't work for everybody we could figure something out with them.

slipangle
02-01-2010, 12:00 AM
I'd prefer a monday.

mossberg500
02-01-2010, 12:06 AM
im in if its friday, i was there the other day i saw a guy wearing a white calguns t-shirt i was in lane 13 shooting my ar and my gsg-5

gun toting monkeyboy
02-01-2010, 3:48 PM
Well, it looks like Monday is out, unless you guys can all make it on next to no notice. Some other night this week? Or should we plan it for next Monday night?

Federalist
02-01-2010, 4:34 PM
I'm in for next Monday (Feb 8).

JPanimal
02-01-2010, 5:28 PM
I try to make it to ASC twice a week to run my AR...usually just .22lrs to control the cost- generally see at least 2-3 other AR's, its great to see them around, hope to shoot with some you soon as well