View Full Version : What would it take to repeal all...

01-28-2010, 5:16 PM
Please don't laugh too hard. :eek:

Just wondering about this lately since the Scott Brown election... Yes, I'm really jumping the gun here (pun intended)...

Let's pretend for a minute or two that we have a big majority of lawmakers who are not super (R) or (D), but they are all super pro2A, and they tell the Brady's to go swimming in an outhouse. What would it take for this Congress, and the state legislatures to make it so that all 50,000+ gun control regs are repealed, AND... how would such a Congress make it so that there is no way for the next congress who might be a super Brady supporter majority to repeal or roll back what the pro-2A lawmakers did? Yes, it's a question, and yes, I have such an imagination, noone said I can't dream a little dream.:p

You may now ROTF.

01-28-2010, 7:06 PM
Major problems:

No legislature can 'bind the hands' of their successors; things like constitutional amendments have some more permanence, but not absolute.

Despite the lack of effectiveness of most of the laws, each repeal would be portrayed as 'endangering the children' and 'promoting gun violence' and 'bowing down to the NRA'. Eventually, that weight of bad (and specious) publicity would take its toll.

01-28-2010, 8:01 PM
Lots and lots of votes.

01-28-2010, 8:06 PM
Probably better to hope for world peace, your chances of success are higher.

01-28-2010, 8:08 PM
Despite the lack of effectiveness of most of the laws, each repeal would be portrayed as 'endangering the children' and 'promoting gun violence' and 'bowing down to the NRA'. Eventually, that weight of bad (and specious) publicity would take its toll.Ya know, just how hard would it be to tell those same morons who screech that stuff that they're the ones who are pandering to criminals, bowing down to slimy lawyers and lowlifes, endangering children, and have a 100% proven track record of themselves being the ones who cause violence. Why the heck do we always play nice instead of taking the gloves off and giving them what they deserve?

01-28-2010, 8:09 PM
Actually nothing has to be done.
The answer is respect for the Constitution. Otherwise, a great many of legislators and congress people simply do not respect it

Tier One Arms
01-28-2010, 8:17 PM
The NFA is unconstitutional, and will eventually be done away with.

01-28-2010, 8:19 PM
I'd like to see the supreme court tackle miller again.

There were some SERIOUS issues with the way it was handled/tried.

01-28-2010, 9:00 PM
Would it take a lot? Yes, but progress is possible. Just look at what
has happened with race relations.

We are drifting towards an inflection point, a change. It is hard to
see past the inflection point, but look at what is happening. The
US is running out of money just before the major Baby Boom
generation starts needing all that money in the various, fictional
"trust funds" the Democrats set up. The Boomers will be pissed.

For about a century, very, very few law students were educated in
the meaning of the 2nd. Not any more. In the last decade many
have learned the truth, and it will no longer be possible to lie about
the meaning of the 2nd. Thanks to Hardy, Kates, and many others
for starting.

The internet has fundamentally changed access to knowledge. Within
a few years, 5 at the outside, the meaning of the 2nd will be beyond
debate. Recall that _most_ of the rest of the country gets it.

California, Illinois, Michigan, New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island
are on the path to bankruptcy. Like it or not, the people in those states
WILL be getting smaller governments within a few years.

Things are changing, and bending toward the right side of history. For
me, the great wild card, other than the timing of the various failures,
are the earthquakes that are coming. New Madrid and San Andreas
will happen, and will cause a trillion dollars damage in 5 minutes, with
a few million dead. Those events WILL be a catalyst for change. It
is good that we have the change started already. If we had not the
change might be to a totalitarian state.

International events might screw up the progress. Japan is set to implode,
and China is convulsing. Crazy dictators with nukes? Yeah, we have
that in Iran and North Korea.

I'll be at Riflegear tomorrow at lunch preparing.

01-29-2010, 1:03 AM
You seem to be speaking entirely of the legislative branch here, not the courts. In that case, the only thing that could really be done as far as repeal goes is to "simply" (hah) push legislature (in the form of bills) that would repeal or amend penal code sections that are deemed gun control, unconstitutional, etc. That's really all there is to it, though it is certainly not as easy as it sounds.

The other side of the coin, though, something that can't be ignored, is what's going to have to happen in the judicial branch (it is already happening!). The courts have to rule on how the law should be interpreted so that the laws on the books are not used to go farther than they are written to. We also need to amass case law that will act as legal precedent in defense of the right to keep/bear arms.

The legislature could not make it so that a new wave of representatives are unable to enact new law. No one can do that, but I'd say the best chance at legal prosperity for gun owners is a strong and continually growing catalog of pro-gun and pro-self defense case law.