PDA

View Full Version : Having a 'trigger job done' on your AR

Henry Hill
01-28-2010, 5:17 PM
Can someone explain to me what people mean by this? Why do people take their AR's in to get a trigger installed? Don't you just buy a new trigger and install it like you did when you built your lower from a LPK?

glock_this
01-28-2010, 5:24 PM
maybe you mean when people talk about having some methods that can reduce the existing triggers lb's and/or improve the feel by, for example, polishing select areas and/or bending springs, etc.

many stock drop in lower parts kit triggers are the same, so I have read tactics, like above, that people use to improve these triggers

69Mach1
01-28-2010, 5:25 PM
To smooth out the action of the parts for a "cleaner" lighter break.

AlbcAlbrr
01-28-2010, 8:40 PM
From Bill Springfield, Triggerwork.net

http://triggerwork.net/index.html

The AR-15 family of firearms is probably the most widely available assault rifles available to the American public. A design that has been perfected over decades of reliable service to both American shooters and LEO agencies.

I can provide and very nice 3 or 4 lbs nice clean break for a stock single stage tirgger and lighten the stock pull to a nice clean break. No need to replace your fire control with an expensive unit that could cause light primer strikes! I use all your factory parts! Check the AR-15/AR-10 Rifles tab for specifics and pricing.

AR-15, AR-10, all makes, standard small and large pin Colt, stock single stage - 4lbs pull, very short, smooth, clean break. $39, add $5 for "speed hammer" modification. New stock AR trigger spring kit available for $4.50 per set if needed.

3lbs pull price is $54, 2.5lbs is $59 (new JP match spring set installed; hammer tail removed ("speed hammer") included in the price. On Armalite/ Eagle AR-10's the 2.5lbs trigger may have light primer strikes on military surplus ammo because of the spring loaded firing pin, Ar-15's firing pins are free float and have reduced chance of this issue. This is not an issue on DPMS and Remington R25's .308's, these use a free floating firing pin.

**Speed hammer modification involves removing the hammer tail and area is refinished. Professional target shooters appreciate this modification for its faster primer ignition and its extra insurance for igniting hard primer military ammunition. I recommend the speed hammer mod to the rounded top type front face hammer, the tail on these are heavy. The nothced versions are lighter.

**Aftermarket match 2 stage trigger group services. reduce the pull by 1 to 2lbs plus, smooth it out and reduce 1st stage pull up to 50%. $39.

**Colt M4 .22 LR, this is the model that utilizes a proprietary aluminum trigger pack. I can reduce the pull weight up to 30%+ and eliminate and trigger creep after trigger slack take up. Price runs $49, only the trigger pack is needed.

The trigger, hammer, disconnecter and their associated springs are all needed! If you aren't sure what to send, please email me or click here.

I recommend the 4lbs pull for duty and field rifles, 3lbs works perfectly for long range and target style shooting.

ILVSMOG
01-28-2010, 9:33 PM
I just got a trigger done by Bill Springfield. I sent him the parts out of my DPMS LPK and he modded them and sent them back. It's a pretty amazing difference.

Henry Hill
01-28-2010, 9:52 PM
I just got a trigger done by Bill Springfield. I sent him the parts out of my DPMS LPK and he modded them and sent them back. It's a pretty amazing difference.

What parts did you send/ what did you have done to it.? So basically he just alters the spring and you re install it?

3GunFunShooter
01-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Shoot a AR with a JP trigger and you will understand.

ocxpirate13
01-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Won't the trigger get worse as you shoot more though, just from normal use and grit build up? So if the trigger starts at 8 lbs right out of the LPK, Bill Springfield tunes it down to 4 lbs, after time won't it go back up to 8 lbs?

JBird33
01-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Won't the trigger get worse as you shoot more though, just from normal use and grit build up? So if the trigger starts at 8 lbs right out of the LPK, Bill Springfield tunes it down to 4 lbs, after time won't it go back up to 8 lbs?

No.

Agro
01-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Bill Springfield polishes various areas of the trigger, disconnector and hammer. He also frequently adds some tiny weld spots for his magic adjustment. 90% of people say he does a great job and are happy they spent the money (cheap). The other 10% I have read online say they checked and it isnt a 3 or 4 lb (as they paid for) but instead 5 - 6lb, they feel cheated. The other group I have seen say that it initially worked beautifully and after 800-1000+ rounds later it is fouling up and they were upset. This is all IMHO from many many nights of reading on ARFCOM.

capitol
01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Im in the 10%. I sent 3 TG's in and everyone of them do not perform as promised.

Most send in 6-7 pound creepy pull tg's. When they get back a smoother 4-5 pound pull people yell from the roof tops how great his work is.

His work is ok if you want a budget trigger job. If you can afford near perfection then buy a Timney (single stage) or a Geissele (two stage)

ILVSMOG
01-29-2010, 12:06 AM
What parts did you send/ what did you have done to it.? So basically he just alters the spring and you re install it?

I sent him the trigger, hammer, disconnector and their associated springs. He polished some stuff, bent some stuff and looks like he welded on some other stuff. Is it exactly 4lbs on the nose? I have no idea and I don't really care. This isn't a benchrest rifle, it's my hike-through-the-woods rifle. Bill charged me $35, including shipping and the improvement was dramatic. I'm sure it's not quite as nice as a Timney or some other aftermarket pieces, but it's also nowhere near the cost.

Fred C Dobbs
01-29-2010, 12:14 AM
You don't have to think about it. Just send it to Bill Springfield at
www.triggerwork.com. Does a nice job for a reasonable price.