PDA

View Full Version : AR rear iron sight question?

kozumasbullitt
01-28-2010, 2:56 PM
I am finishing up a 50 Beowulf build and I want to run a rear iron sight as a primary because I don't want to go with optics. I don't want to go carry handle and I really like the DPMS detachable rear fixed sight but DPMS states "use a back up sight only". What are my choices for a decent fixed back up, and can the DPMS be used as a primary?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=873271

dieselpower
01-28-2010, 3:05 PM
I imagine they state that due to it not holding zero if removed, therefore it would only be useful as a BUIS giving general accuracy if your primary optic goes down and you slap this on the rail.

I have a question, Why do you want only limited accuracy on a firearm capable of much more? You have an AT&T firearm limited to close range work (under 400 yards) With even a cheap Bushnell you would be able to disintegrate a grapefruit at 800 yards, with a BUIS you will be lucky to hit it at 250. Just asking.

I stand corrected. I think of a .50 as a long range round, and have no experience in the OP, which is why I asked what i did. Thanx.

Barney Gumble
01-28-2010, 3:29 PM
I'm sure it's fine to use as your rear sight.

If you're really worried, for $30 more you can get an LMT fixed rear sight from a calguns vendor. LMT tends to use better parts and materials than DPMS.

kozumasbullitt
01-28-2010, 4:28 PM
I imagine they state that due to it not holding zero if removed, therefore it would only be useful as a BUIS giving general accuracy if your primary optic goes down and you slap this on the rail.

I have a question, Why do you want only limited accuracy on a firearm capable of much more? You have an AT&T firearm limited to close range work (under 400 yards) With even a cheap Bushnell you would be able to disintegrate a grapefruit at 800 yards, with a BUIS you will be lucky to hit it at 250. Just asking.

I was under the assuption that the 50 Beowulf is only good out too 200 yards, after that the bullet drops off. I would go eotech on it but I don't want to spend that kind of cash on something that will be more or less a "safe queen".

sevensix2x51
01-28-2010, 4:36 PM
i have never heard of .50 beowulf being a great long range shooter. more like a close range/entry cartridge.. :confused:

i have yankee hill machine (yhm) folding sights on one of my rifles, they are very nice. have held zero for two years thus far.

cmaynes
01-28-2010, 4:39 PM
the LaRue is really solid- great folks too...

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=29

kozumasbullitt
01-28-2010, 4:46 PM
i have never heard of .50 beowulf being a great long range shooter. more like a close range/entry cartridge.. :confused:

i have yankee hill machine (yhm) folding sights on one of my rifles, they are very nice. have held zero for two years thus far.

Exactly, I am only going to shoot this thing a 100 yards out so no optics for me. I did read some good things about YHM and they are in consideration. I might just go DPMS and see what happens.

flyermike
01-28-2010, 5:15 PM
the dd 1.5 is nice

kozumasbullitt
01-28-2010, 5:26 PM
the dd 1.5 is nice

i just sold one, i didn't care for the looks of it.