PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a lower once banned

TonyNorCal
01-05-2006, 8:30 PM
Let's say you get a lower...and it gets banned....you get it registered and all is hunky dory and well:) ...

Then one day something happens to your lower:(

Is it possible for the company from where it came to take your lower...destroy it...and send you another one with the same serial number stamped on it? I have read of Kel-Tec doing this for its handguns.

Obviously...
1.) it would have to be legal under Kali law.
2.) The company would have to be willing to do it.

brassburns
01-05-2006, 8:43 PM
When Federal Ordnance was making 1911 and M1A receivers (it's been 15 years at least), I cracked the frame of my 1911. I took the frame back to see if I could get it replaced. After 15 minutes, I was handed a new receiver with the same serial number hand stamped. I can't recall how long the waiting period was, but I know there was a waiting period for handguns in California at the time.

When I asked the guy who gave me my frame back, he said, no need to wait. When I asked about registration and all that, he said they can't register the same serial number to the same purchaser twice. Made sense to me.

Not sure what would happen with an AW, but I don't see why it would be any different.

Randy in Los Angeles

Let's say you get a lower...and it gets banned....you get it registered and all is hunky dory and well:) ...

Then one day something happens to your lower:(

Is it possible for the company from where it came to take your lower...destroy it...and send you another one with the same serial number stamped on it? I have read of Kel-Tec doing this for its handguns.

Obviously...
1.) it would have to be legal under Kali law.
2.) The company would have to be willing to do it.

Gunner1
01-05-2006, 8:44 PM
I had a Olympic arms lower that was a mess in about 1998 or so that I sent back. About two months later a new replacement arrived with same serial numbers.

Gunner

morepoop4u
01-05-2006, 10:40 PM
sweet, no need to buy anymore back up lowers hehe:D

Black Majik
01-06-2006, 12:13 AM
i have a back up lower.... just in case.

I think I should get 2 backups, after all.... 2 is 1, 1 is none. :D

bwiese
01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Some vendors do reissue guns/receivers w/same serial numbers.

That was one of the attractions in '98 when I got my 3 Colt Match Target lowers. Colt would destroy the orig lower, delete the entry in their manufacturing books, and reissue a new lower with the exact same serial #. (At least then they would.)

[One of Colt's peculiarities then was that the reissued lower had to be in the exact same format as the original, destroyed lower. If that lower had a sear block, the replacement would. If it was marked as 7.62x39, your replacement couldn't be marked as 223; if it had a large pivot pin, the replacement would too. They wouldn't budge on this apparently.]

I don't know how kosher this is w/DOJ but it flies with BATF. And CA charges for unreg'd AW possession just hinge on "is that make/model/serial# assigned to you and your registration".

GTKrockeTT
01-06-2006, 3:21 PM
plus, since we are in what is likely a lifetime purgatory in CA (unless we move), there's always that chance that the manufacturer of one of our beloved receivers goes belly up. this is why i've got some variety going on. ;)

atek3
01-11-2006, 12:06 PM
this was happening for a long time with registered class III receivers. The ATF was permitting "part replacement" on serial numbered parts. Anti-gunners made a huge stink over the violation of the "spirit of the law", I don't know what happened after that.

atek3