PDA

View Full Version : First AR build

Game Time
01-28-2010, 10:06 AM
My Spike's lower came in the other day and now I'm just waiting for the 10 day period. :sleeping: Just ordered an Armalite LPK, Magpul MOE kit and Magpul BUIS from DSG. Good prices and good customer service at DSG. Anyways, can't wait to get all my goodies. I will be waiting to slap an upper on there but I'm going to go with a BCM mid-length when money permits. :D

shooterdude
01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Building an AR is the most fun project I have done all year...

Dubster
01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
I recently built my first and it was quite the experience. It's almost addictive. I found that once I got it built the way I wanted it and worked out a few bugs (people here were very good about helping me figure them out) then dialed it in at the range, I couldn't wait to start another build.

I have two new lowers waiting for me to decide how I'm going to configure them. It's going to be difficult telling myself it's time to stop, you don't need any more.

Dub

DougJ
01-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I picked up my S&W lower on Monday night and put it all together when I got home. Once I had DROSed the lower I ordered up all the parts for my featureless build, and everything was there before the lower was out of jail. I used a DD 16" mid length flat top upper, Troy flip up BUIS, RRA LPK, ambi safety, MMG, and an A2 stock. It was my first build and it went together quickly and easily. Everything dropped right in except I did have to remove the trigger assy to clearance the rear portion since it was blocking the safety from being inserted. I had to remove almost 1/32" from the area where it contacts the selector lever.

I expect to get it out and shoot it for the first time this weekend. :D

kenjimatic
01-28-2010, 11:56 AM
... It's going to be difficult telling myself it's time to stop, you don't need any more.

Dub

:rofl:
I'm having the same problem too and I'm sitting on 12 stripped lowers. I couldn't help myself when Rob(sacblackrifle) started the group buy :D

westsiderippa
01-28-2010, 12:33 PM
just built my first last night. excellent help from this site. i had a little trouble with my pins at first but it all worked out perfect without scratches. i dont even have an upper for this complete lower yet and have 2 more stripped oll's on the way. very addicting and so much fun.

rockdogz
01-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Nice..
Building my lower was easy and I used a complete upper - how difficult is building the upper?

ocxpirate13
01-28-2010, 1:53 PM
Nice..
Building my lower was easy and I used a complete upper - how difficult is building the upper?

Questions was just asked in a thread below, here is the answer:

You will need a few tools:
Torque wrench, barrel nut wrench, vise, and upper fixture holder should be good enough for a basic build. If you're messing with the FSB, muzzle devices, and special handguards you'd need more stuff.
Follow the torque values and verify headspace.

zman
01-28-2010, 1:56 PM
My Spike's lower came in the other day and now I'm just waiting for the 10 day period. :sleeping: Just ordered an Armalite LPK, Magpul MOE kit and Magpul BUIS from DSG. Good prices and good customer service at DSG. Anyways, can't wait to get all my goodies. I will be waiting to slap an upper on there but I'm going to go with a BCM mid-lenght when money permits. :D

Might as well add the MOE trigger guard there and don't forget the PMags.