PDA

View Full Version : Good Reason for CCW?

Duhrector
01-28-2010, 9:18 AM
Hey I was just wondering, I am part of a graffiti removal team in Solano and Yolo counties. Would this be an acceptable reason for the state? I mean I'm always taking down gang tags and was actually approached by a few "gangstas" one time and I was kinda scared. Also I've been reading up on it and from the sound of it you can only get CCWs for specific counties, which I thought meant you have to apply separately to each county that you want to carry in, so if that is true does that mean I would need two for my job, One in Solano and one for Yolo?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks and have a good day.

Big Jake
01-28-2010, 10:44 AM
You must apply to the law enforcement departement where you live.

Turo
01-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Also I've been reading up on it and from the sound of it you can only get CCWs for specific counties, which I thought meant you have to apply separately to each county that you want to carry in, so if that is true does that mean I would need two for my job, One in Solano and one for Yolo?

Unless otherwise stated on the license, a CCW permit issued by any county is good in all of CA. So you would have to apply in the county you live in, and then you could carry anywhere you like (provided it's not a prohibited area.)

You should also be aware of any restrictions on having a firearm put on you by your employer as well. But those aren't legal restrictions, just for your job.

Duhrector
01-28-2010, 3:29 PM
So would I have to go to Fairfield to apply for it, or can I do it in Dixon where I live?

B yond
01-29-2010, 10:02 AM
My understanding is you must apply in the county in which you reside.

calccw.com has lots of good stats for which counties are likely to issue.

Duhrector
01-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah I went onto Solano's website and they told me to apply in Dixon. So I went to Dixon's website and they actually had a link to CWWs there, I was surprised.

Foriegn power
01-29-2010, 5:49 PM
I really hate these threads in a sense, I mean I am sure all of you think the same way, we should not have to tell them our good cause for a ccw.

JagerTroop
02-01-2010, 1:35 PM
Hey I was just wondering, I am part of a graffiti removal team in Solano and Yolo counties. Would this be an acceptable reason for the state? I mean I'm always taking down gang tags and was actually approached by a few "gangstas" one time and I was kinda scared. Also I've been reading up on it and from the sound of it you can only get CCWs for specific counties, which I thought meant you have to apply separately to each county that you want to carry in, so if that is true does that mean I would need two for my job, One in Solano and one for Yolo?

Your Good Cause is Your Good Cause, so it would be wise to not discuss it publicly. You must apply in the city/county you live in. Most city PDs defer the issuance of CCWs to the county, but some do not. If the local (city) PD is the issuing agency, you MUST apply there first. Chances are, you will be denied (insufficient good cause and/or "public safety"). It is their SOP. Take your denial letter to the county sheriff's office and reapply there.

Before you apply ANYWHERE, get on CalCCW.com (http://www.calccw.com/), and contact Greg Block (screen name "CCWInstructor"). He is very busy, so email him(not PM) with your good cause, and put "CCW Good Cause for Review". or something similar in the subject box. He will review your good cause statement, and give you pointers. HE WILL NOT (nor will anyone) write your GC Statement for you. Again, it is your GC, and your's alone.

DO NOT APPLY WITHOUT GETTING YOUR GC STATEMENT REVIEWED BY AN EXPERT. If you apply without contacting Greg (or Billy Jack, or some other expert), you may disqualify yourself simply by using the wrong terminology, or phrase.

Good Luck :thumbsup: and keep us posted

Cire 5th
02-01-2010, 2:49 PM

I doubt that would be a good reason. The last thing I want to hear is conceal carry against gangs in bad neighborhoods because of the already negative connotation re gangs have and the retaliatory nature which can last some time until more people get hurt rather than just that incindent while you were sandblasting their mess, or what the local gov't deems graffiti. It could bei art vs. tagging style. I would be POed off someone buffed my Art that was in a proper type of place like the unused walls right besides traintracks or trains themselves. Gangs you can connotate somoene has a gun but unless there is another gang buffing out their stuff and you don't have a weapon yourself you should be fine. They will surely think bad thoughts first before rationality if they thought you are a gang yourself and also that you were carrying. Im pretty sure you get geared up with orange vests. That should keep them away.

Anyway train tracks trains or what mass is private owners' or city property gangs have tagged on and you want to risk dying for that property while your cleaning their mess? Just clean it up in broad daylight and inform a squad car around that area what you are doing and maybe keep a talkie.

Maybe if you work at a bank and you close at night.

WILDMAN442
02-07-2010, 6:14 PM
Last time I checked issuance rate in Solano County was like .08 percent....

Just what I saw but it may be different now.

Justin