PDA

View Full Version : AK receivers 101

CalGunsNoob
01-05-2006, 5:53 PM
Ok,

Quality reports requested on the following...

Ewbanks (JoeKen)
Global Trades
Ohio Ordnance (are these legal?)
DCI

Am I missing any?

Also, with AK receivers being stamped what is a reaslistic service life?

Global makes a thicker 1.6mm version...but can't find any till March and they fat lady will have sung long before.

-hanko
01-05-2006, 6:00 PM
Ok,

Ewbanks (JoeKen)
Global Trades
DCI

Am I missing any?

Global makes a thicker 1.6mm version...but can't find any till March and they fat lady will have sung long before.
No idea as to 'JoeKin's' quality, but they don't exactly carry a sterling reputation from the standpoint of good business practices in general.

Coonan has a generally good rep in the FAL community, other than inability to forecast delivery with any accuracy.

They're AK's, the realistic service life is about as long as you can shoot the weapon. :D

-hanko

sintax
01-05-2006, 6:40 PM
I'll hopefully have a DCI inbound shortly

From what I know NDS only has underfolders in stock though.

BigMac
01-05-2006, 6:45 PM
ohio ordinance is on the list;
Ohio Ordinance Wooks (o.o.w.)
Romak 991
Ak-74

I'll try to get an acurate list of what on the list ;

American Arms
AK-Y 39
AK-F 39
AK-C 47
AK-F 47

Arsenal
SLR (all)
SLG
(all)

B-west
AK-47 (all)

Hesse Arms
Model 47 (all)
Weiger STG 940 Rifle

Inter Ordinance
AK-47 (all)
RPK
M-97

Kalashnikov USA
Hunter Rifle/ Saiga

Maadi CO
AK47
ARM
MISR (all)
MISTR (all)

Made in china
AK
AKM
AKS
AK47
56s
84s
86s

MARS
pistol

Mitchelle Arms Inc
AK-47 (all)
AK-47 Cal. .308 (all)
M-76
RPK
M-90

Norinco
AK-46 (all)
Hunter Rifle
NHM 90, 90-2 91 Sport
RPK RIfle
56s
81s
84 s
86 (all)
86 S
MAK 90

Ohio Ordinance Works (o.o.w.)
AK-74
Romak 991

Poly Technologies
AKS
AK47

Valmet
Hunter Rifle
76 S

WUM
WUM (all)

Vulcan, global trades/ armory, eubanks, and DCI are not on the list. Of these I would be very careful about how a couple of them are marked. Global used to be arsenal. Hesse is now vulcan.. see what I mean.. For the money I like eubanks and DCI. The only DCI models I can find available are for a yugo with a bulged reciever.

sintax
01-05-2006, 6:48 PM
Big Mac is dead on the money here.

DCI's will only work with Yugo's, but they got some new stuff in the works.

Anonymous Coward
01-05-2006, 7:49 PM
Am I the only one who sees the irony here? :mad: :confused:

Harrot was supposed to prevent all this guessing what's legal and what not. It's based on what you could reasonably know about if a receiver is a copy with only minor modifications.

And now we're here wondering which manufacturer changed names or is a continued business of an old one and if a OOW Romak 3 is a Romak 991.

wayoutwest
01-05-2006, 8:54 PM
People on the AK forums seem to like both the Global and Ewbanks(although Joeken has had less that stellar customer service).

I beleive they both come with Hammer/trigger/Guard holes, the front and rear Trunion holes are just pre-drilled for final fitting to your truinon.

wayoutwest
01-05-2006, 8:59 PM
Ok,

Ewbanks (JoeKen)
Global Trades
DCI

Am I missing any?

You can also look into a milled receiver if you are concerned about the life of it.

PanzerAce
01-05-2006, 9:36 PM
And now we're here wondering which manufacturer changed names or is a continued business of an old one and if a OOW Romak 3 is a Romak 991.

Actually, none of US are wondering. Its the DOJ that cant pull it's head out about these. (for those who dont know, the 3 is a 7.62x54R receiver for a Designated Marksman rifle. the 991 is your generic AK in 7.62x39)

shopkeep
01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Almost completely ironic isn't it? Pre-1999 the AKs were cheap and plentiful. Now they're very hard to come by and exotic in a post-ban world dominated by the .223 platform.

CalGunsNoob
01-06-2006, 5:42 PM
BigMac,

Does your post mean that if a Global Trades is marked 'Arsenal' anywhere it's illegal, but if not it should be ok? Or better just to avid them and go with Ewbanks, DCI?

Thanks

Charliegone
01-06-2006, 6:29 PM
BigMac,

Does your post mean that if a Global Trades is marked 'Arsenal' anywhere it's illegal, but if not it should be ok? Or better just to avid them and go with Ewbanks, DCI?

Thanks

They are ok. If it doesn't say arsenal or the designated model, you should be fine. They can't say "its the same thing" that won't stand up in court. Model and Manufacturer must be on the list. Oh by the way, they are not arsenal anymore.:D