PDA

View Full Version : A Couple SKS Questions...

fryer1979
01-27-2010, 7:27 PM
Ok, so I've got my first SKS, and I've got to say the previous owner hacked it up a bit. Nothing major or permanent, but it's not usable as it is. I've spent some time searching and reading on here, and while my search function always gives me a "no results" answer, just taking some time reading through the threads has answered most of my questions so far. There are only two remaining:

First off, my sks is a Yugo model and the previous owner installed one of those hideous (my opinion) Tapco collapsable stocks. I bought another stock for it and am just looking for some guidance on removing the existing furniture. What tips/tricks can you more experienced guys offer me? Is there anything I need to be especially careful of? I'm not really new to guns (I strip my existing rifles and handguns to individual parts for cleaning, and built my stripped AR lower in my living room), just brand new to the sks.

Second; does anyone know where I might be able to locate a front sight assembly? The previous owner left me with a bare threaded barrel. I was able to locate a thread on suppressor fairly easy, but no luck with a pin-on sight that will work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Trendkill
01-27-2010, 7:31 PM
O

First off, my sks is a Yougosklavian.......

Damn....this is one I need for the collection. I havent heard of these before....

Jk....

Trendkill
01-27-2010, 7:34 PM
Ok, so I've got my first SKS, and I've got to say the previous owner hacked it up a bit. Nothing major or permanent, but it's not usable as it is. I've spent some time searching and reading on here, and while my search function always gives me a "no results" answer, just taking some time reading through the threads has answered most of my questions so far. There are only two remaining:

First off, my sks is a Yougosklavian model and the previous owner installed one of those hideous (my opinion) Tapco collapsable stocks. I bought another stock for it and am just looking for some guidance on removing the existing furniture. What tips/tricks can you more experienced guys offer me? Is there anything I need to be especially careful of? I'm not really new to guns (I strip my existing rifles and handguns to individual parts for cleaning, and built my stripped AR lower in my living room), just brand new to the sks.

Second; does anyone know where I might be able to locate a front sight assembly? The previous owner left me with a bare threaded barrel. I was able to locate a thread on suppressor fairly easy, but no luck with a pin-on sight that will work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Use youtube for take down and disassembly procedures.....

APEX has SKS parts available most the time.

fryer1979
01-27-2010, 7:49 PM
Yeah, my spelling goes to crud after so long at the computer, plus it's Friday at the end of a long week for me.:D

I'll also give youtube a try before I sit down with the rifle. I tried that with the AR lower assembly process, and wound up more confused then when I started. Looking at this thing I've got a good idea of what I need to do, I'm just mostly looking for any tips that may help me avoid sending parts flying to the other side of the room.:mad:

Thanks for the Apex reference, I'll give them a look.

P.S. just looked at Apex, no sks sights, but thanks for trying.

Lucky Scott
01-27-2010, 7:51 PM
You wont believe how easy it is to take apart.
Lots of online companies sell SKS parts, I bet I have 8 or 9 bookmarked on my computer. Do a search.

fryer1979
01-27-2010, 8:00 PM
Lots of online companies sell SKS parts, I bet I have 8 or 9 bookmarked on my computer. Do a search.

I've found quite a few parts suppliers, and have several bookmarked myself, including the site I bought the rest of the parts I needed from. No one seems to have front sights, with the exception of one military surplus dealer that had the thread-on compensator/sight as one unit listed, but it was on indefinant back order.

BroncoBob
01-27-2010, 8:00 PM
Try Survivor's SKS website. This is where I went for all the information on my Chinese SKS. Super information for all SKS owners

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

thefurball
01-27-2010, 8:07 PM
...the previous owner installed one of those hideous (my opinion) Tapco collapsable stocks.

It is not just your opinion. Those stocks make an SKS look like crap. Go back to the original wood stock if you can find one,

fryer1979
01-27-2010, 8:12 PM
It is not just your opinion. Those stocks make an SKS look like crap. Go back to the original wood stock if you can find one,

He actually still had the original, but it is in need of some serious attention. I got one of those ATI Monte Carlo stocks so I can shoot it while I work on restoring the original wood stock. Call me goofy, but I am embarrased to shoot it the way it is.

BroncoBob: thanks, that may be a big help.

Rob454
01-27-2010, 8:14 PM
how do you shoot it without a front sight?

fryer1979
01-27-2010, 8:20 PM
how do you shoot it without a front sight?

That's my question:) The P.O. had some cheesy red dot sight on it, and I have only fired a couple rounds into a dirt mound just to make sure it works. I will shoot it again once I can get a front sight.

Rob454
01-27-2010, 8:41 PM
That's my question:) The P.O. had some cheesy red dot sight on it, and I have only fired a couple rounds into a dirt mound just to make sure it works. I will shoot it again once I can get a front sight.

Ah that makes sense now.

SJgunguy24
01-27-2010, 9:46 PM
http://www.e-gunparts.com/

Numrich should have everything you need to restore that rifle. Do you know for sure if it's a 59 or 59/66? There is a difference when ordering parts for a restoration.

bigthaiboy
01-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Check Ebay for Yugo SKS stocks: http://cgi.ebay.com/yugo-sks-stock-and-clip_W0QQitemZ110485865371QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item19b978839b

People are always selling their stocks off after fitting them with Tapco / ATI stocks.

Make sure it's a Yugo stock you are buying, and not Chinese. Plenty of Chinese SKS stocks selling for cheap, but the Chinese action is less beefy than the Yugo, so they will not fit.

thefurball
01-28-2010, 6:56 AM
Call me goofy, but I am embarrased to shoot it the way it is.

No. I understand completely. I would not show up at the range with a Bubba-ized SKS either.

SVPRApps
01-28-2010, 7:19 AM
anyone change out their free floating firing pin with a spring load?

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Skipper
01-28-2010, 7:29 AM
Yep. Works as advertised. Murray's ship real fast, too.:D

SJgunguy24
01-28-2010, 7:34 AM

Yes and so far no surprises like I had before. Simonov originally designed the rifle with a firing pin spring.

fryer1979
01-28-2010, 9:06 AM
Do you know for sure if it's a 59 or 59/66?

Ok, I'm gonna show some nood-ness here but I haven't been able to determine that yet. What should I look for to figure out which model it is? I found the "yugo..." marking, but can't really see anything that says "59" or "59/66" on the rifle anywhere.

fryer1979
01-28-2010, 9:15 AM
Check it out....I answered my own question.:D It's stamped right on the barrel: M59/66, Yugoslavia, 7.62x39. A little sunlight helps, dummy:cool:

SJgunguy24
01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Check it out....I answered my own question.:D It's stamped right on the barrel: M59/66, Yugoslavia, 7.62x39. A little sunlight helps, dummy:cool:

If you want to restore that rifle to factory specs, you'll need the front sight with the granede stuff too. If not you could get away with an AK, or any SKS sight, you'll need to use calipers to measure the barrel OD to get the sizes right.

BroncoBob
01-28-2010, 12:19 PM

I contacted them and went with a complete trigger tune up with USA parts for my FCG. Much better then the loooooooooooong take up and break.

fryer1979
01-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Ok so I got the Monte carlo stock on. Like mentioned before, i was surprised at how easy it was. I'm not terribly happy with the fit and finish of the new stock, but what did I really expect from a $45 part? I guess it just means I'll have to get that original stock refinished sooner. At least it looks a lot better than it did with that Tapco stock. Got some good ideas for finding a front sight to, so thanks guys.

johnthomas
01-30-2010, 11:17 PM

Yes, all three of mine has springs on the firing pins. I don't want any slam fires.