PDA

View Full Version : please help with my pins

westsiderippa
01-27-2010, 7:06 PM
im trying to install my trigger guard pin and my bolt catch pin on my cmmg lower and they just will not go. i tryed filing out the holes and still nothing. am i just not hitting them hard enough? first build and all so im being very careful but IDK. any thoughts besides just being a rook, lol. thanks in advance.

westsiderippa
01-27-2010, 7:08 PM
at least i got my bullet button on ok, so thats a start, lol!!!!

sevensix2x51
01-27-2010, 7:09 PM
i dont think youre being very careful, if youve already taken a file to the lower.

what brand of lower parts kit?

you just have to hit them straight on, with a good bit of force. dont be scared of it. i have built 3 lowers with a 32oz ball-pein hammer. havent broken anything yet.

Frijolito1988
01-27-2010, 7:12 PM
Are you using DPMS lpk ?

Use channel wrench to get the roll pins in . Lube it and put electric tape around the place you are going to be working.

djleisure
I have never used a hammer to build a lower. I use vice-grips covered in electrical tape and it always works like a charm!

Josh3239
Firstly, I'd suggest oiling the holes. I am not going to give much advice since with every lower except one I scratch it installing the bolt catch pin. I have tried everything and can rarely do it right. A lot of people suggest using taped up pliers but I have never been able to get that to work. With the trigger guard, and this is very important, support the ears of the trigger guard. You don't to knock one on off, believe me it sucks. I'd suggest instead to just upgrade to a Magpul MIAD pistol grip. It is much more comfortable than most of the grips and guards out there, it is adjustable and has a built it trigger guard.

kf6tac
01-27-2010, 7:13 PM
I've always had to whack the trigger guard pin pretty hard to make it move -- which has me sweating bullets every time.

tomd1584
01-27-2010, 7:14 PM
have you tried watching the Brownells instructional videos yet?

just follow their directions. You shouldnt be filing anything down. It is a very simple process, just take your time.

Jerkdog
01-27-2010, 7:16 PM
Lube. Are you using lube?

You might try and press them in with vice grips or channel locks. Just make sure to wrap the grip surfaces with electrical tape so you don't mar the surface of the lower.

westsiderippa
01-27-2010, 7:19 PM
ok thanks guys. i should have said sanded lightly not filed. im being way to scared i think. because im doing all the above, lube etc, and getting no love. i think i just need to man up and drive them in there. the lower is all taped up and i made a little block to support the ears. im using a cmmg lpk, though heck, cmmg lower with lpk should fit nice for first build. i really cant see just puching them in with vice grips. i can barly get the pin started with them.

Agro
01-27-2010, 7:20 PM
+1 to the lube on the pins!

I have had success many times with the masking tape covered vice-grip pliers. For installing the bolt-catch pin, I cover the lower receiver up really good with masking tape all over (except for right up to 1/16" of an inch next to where the bolt-catch pin goes. I then use the taped up pliars and start turning one turn at a time, then clamp down, one more, clamp down. You will eventually get the pin in and see it almost go through the first "ear". Here is where I install the bolt-catch. I then give it one more turn, it should go in to the bolt-catch, and then from here you can drive it home with a few turns and keep clamping. It should go in. The lube really helps.

*** EDIT ***
Just read your above reply after I hit reply. The vice grip thing works for so many people, search around. You just barely get the pin to bite in to the hole with the pliers, then with a few turns it starts to move fast and goes home. It's really the beginning part that you are just being a bit 'chicken' over. As long as the lower is supported under the ears, you just need to get on it and squeeze it in.

westsiderippa
01-27-2010, 7:21 PM
have the vids on my other screen as we speak very helpful im just being a p--sy, lol!!!

sevensix2x51
01-27-2010, 7:25 PM
when i use my giant hammer (like all the TRUE menfolk do,) i put the bolt catch in the slot without the spring, but ensure the hole is not lined up. then i tap the pin down til it hits the bolt catch, remove, then install spring and line it up. one careful whack, and its captured. but thats just how i do it. and im probably the only one.

Josh3239
01-27-2010, 7:27 PM
ARF has a pretty good guide. Start the pin in without the bolt catch, just to get it to sit on its own. They suggest needle nose pliers to hold the pin and the vice grips to squeeze it in.

This is also suggest for the trigger guard.

http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/pins/02%20Press%20Partway.jpg
http://www.kevinholman.com/byor/pins/04%20Press%20Again.jpg

technique
01-27-2010, 7:31 PM
For future reference....

NEVER modify the lower!!!!!!!!!!!
You should always modify the CHEAPEST part...like the pin!!!!
However, this is just another case of not being equipped with the necessary tools.

Use lube, take your time.

technique
01-27-2010, 7:32 PM

I cringe, and die a little inside, every time I see that.:(

Iggy
01-27-2010, 7:40 PM
I can't see your location, but I have all the proper tools and can help you put it together.

Josh3239
01-27-2010, 7:41 PM
???

bender152
01-27-2010, 7:47 PM
FWIW, I did two lowers for someone recently. The LPK's were both DPMS.

Lower #1 - Kaiser Defense

Roll pins were EXTREMELY tight. I ended up squeezing these in a vise. I didn't flatten or deform them, just closed the circle a bit more. I was able to install them afterwards, but still with some difficulty.

Lower #2 - Noveske

Installation was much easier. I still put them in the vise prior to installing, but it was a much smoother process.

westsiderippa
01-27-2010, 7:48 PM
whoo! trigger guard pin is in, i just lubed the snot out of it and instead of tapping it i made nice strong hits 1 at a time, thanks for the help everyone, now for that bolt catch pin after some pizza.

westsiderippa
01-27-2010, 7:58 PM
thanks for the offer iggy but im all the way down in santa cruz.

copy that on not modifying the lower. i barley put a little sand in the hole of the trigger group to see. it was very fine paper too. it didnt even discolor the inside. but i do and will remember that rule of thumb from now on. i have every tool i need. vice grips, non mahring hammers ball pin etc. right angle needle nose.

im looking and watching vids on people using the vice grips and it does look like a pro level move. like said going to eat pizza and think it over a while. just stoked the tg pin is in and not one scuff.

again thank you very much for the very quick responses and help. thats why i became a member. :rockon:

SVT-40
01-27-2010, 8:30 PM
Just like some women. It takes more lube and force to get it in!! ;)

westsiderippa
01-27-2010, 9:09 PM
wow, bolt catch went in like hot butta.the vice grips with electrical tape and lots of lube was the trick.

svt40 LMAO!!!!!

djleisure
01-27-2010, 9:24 PM
I cringe, and die a little inside, every time I see that.:(
Not sure why. Works like a charm. ;)

xibunkrlilkidsx
01-27-2010, 10:11 PM
ARF has a pretty good guide. Start the pin in without the bolt catch, just to get it to sit on its own. They suggest needle nose pliers to hold the pin and the vice grips to squeeze it in.

This is also suggest for the trigger guard.

what i also found that works is to break a toothpick off and insert it through the hole so it starts to get the bolt catch lined up in the hole.and as you tap the pin through the tooth pick falls out.

westsiderippa
01-27-2010, 11:30 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z146/westsiderippa/ar2.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z146/westsiderippa/ar1.jpg

well that wasnt so bad after all, had a lot fun with this. just want to say thanks again to everyone on calguns for all of the great threads, pics, vids, etc..... now its time to find an upper. looking like i will be going with the cmmg mid length. i want to get some better pics this weekend but for now the iphone will do. good night, B.