PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own an Entreprise FAL?

Major Miner II
01-05-2006, 3:26 PM
I want one! :(

If they're worth it, I'll start saving. They say it can be converted when taken out of state. Is this true?

What's it need?

anotherted
01-05-2006, 3:37 PM
They dont have that great of a reputation.

Major Miner II
01-05-2006, 3:39 PM
Okay. Then is there a FAQ on building one?

DrjonesUSA
01-05-2006, 4:09 PM

Yep. Stay away from Entreprise.

I did tons of research and here's what you should do:

Buy either an STG58 or IMBEL parts kit, and either an IMBEL or DSA reciever.

Either assemble it yourself, which isn't too difficult (sort of), or send it to a gunsmith to assemble & refinish.

It is my understanding that assembling a FAL from a parts kit & reciever requires you to remove part of the receiver left on the barrel after the gun was demilled and then requires that you install the barrel on your new receiver and that is not something I want to try on my own, as it requires specialized tools and you can blow yourself up if you don't properly fit the barrel, headspace it, etc. (If I'm wrong, please correct me).

I'd rather pay someone $100 or whatever to do it 100% right the first time.

-hanko
01-05-2006, 6:12 PM
Yep. Stay away from Entreprise.

I did tons of research and here's what you should do:

Buy either an STG58 or IMBEL parts kit, and either an IMBEL or DSA reciever.

Either assemble it yourself, which isn't too difficult (sort of), or send it to a gunsmith to assemble & refinish.

It is my understanding that assembling a FAL from a parts kit & reciever requires you to remove part of the receiver left on the barrel after the gun was demilled and then requires that you install the barrel on your new receiver and that is not something I want to try on my own, as it requires specialized tools and you can blow yourself up if you don't properly fit the barrel, headspace it, etc. (If I'm wrong, please correct me).

I'd rather pay someone $100 or whatever to do it 100% right the first time.
You need to pick one..."...which isn't too difficult (sort of)" or "...you can blow yourself up...".

It is not especially difficult to install the barrel, a few thousand have been done by us amateur / non-pro-gunsmith types. BUT, you need a few tools, and if you're building a single rifle you might feel the $200 or so you need for tooling is too expensive. It's all up to you, as tools can usually be sold for just about what you paid for 'em after the weapon is finished. Otoh, building one leads to building a second, and soon you might find yourself hooked:) .

Of the ones I've built, easiest assembly (meaning receiver doesn't need fixing before assembly) has been with DSA and Imbel as first, Coonan second, and Enterprise and Century third, but not by a lot.

STG kits (getting scarce) will get you the least used kit, BUT you can still find good barrels with Imbel, G1, and/or Rhodesian kits. Other than a nice barrel inside, outside finish matters little as the finish is usually parkerized, and parking a kit should run less than $100.

The FAL Files forum has 99 per cent of the internet expertise on assembly and parts for sale, go there.

You can email me if you need more.

-hanko

Pryde
01-05-2006, 6:49 PM
Entreprise isn't really that bad from what I hear. As DRH says, the problems for the most part were from a bad batch awhile ago. I personally handled a few of thier rifles at the past Costa Mesa gunshow and they seemed as mechanically sound and well machined as far as I could tell. Try to take the bad reports with a grain of salt most of them are older reports or from people who refuse to build on any receiver thats not ,ade from true FN tooling, there are plenty of good newer reviews for entreprise's receivers on the falfiles, just try doing a search.

stator
01-05-2006, 7:48 PM
My FAL parts kit earn me a trip to the local ATF office. It was not an all-expenses paid trip either. They would not valid my parking!

The special agent was cool though.... good guy to know. He told me to bring the FAL part in question and ask for me to sign the abandonment papers. He failed to tell me his offices were located in a federal court house.

So, here I am in my biker leathers as I rode the hog there (easier to park in downtown) with a plastic bag with the FAL part, standing before the xray and metal detectors with a look of horror on my face. There were signs warning of criminal prosceution for bring weapons. The LEO's there noticed it too and had their hands on their firearms although they kept them holstered.

One approached and asked what is wrong... either the brave one, or just the one with the least amount of senority. I fessed up that I had a firearm part and was instructed by Special Agent so-and-so to bring to his office today. The tension escaped the room and the LEO's relaxed. I was told no problem, just give the part to him and walk through the metal detector. Which I did, then they handed me my firearm part (which the Special Agent described as a machine gun that morning on the phone) and told me to go directly to the ATF offices.

Fortunately, I was able to because I was just about this shy from needing to stop off at the restroom for a change of clothing

Major Miner II
01-05-2006, 8:10 PM
Okay. . .so:

A) if someone can point me to the FAL forum that was mentioned, I'd appreciate it.
B) Are any of the receivers listed "off-list"?

Sorry if I'm being naive about all of this. I use to have an SAR-48, and a friend had a FAL. I loved those, and I'm finally getting back to where I want to try and get another. Part of me says, just move to Nevada.

Pryde
01-05-2006, 8:24 PM
Okay. . .so:

A) if someone can point me to the FAL forum that was mentioned, I'd appreciate it.
B) Are any of the receivers listed "off-list"?

Sorry if I'm being naive about all of this. I use to have an SAR-48, and a friend had a FAL. I loved those, and I'm finally getting back to where I want to try and get another. Part of me says, just move to Nevada.

The website is www.falfiles.com

All of the above mentioned receivers are "off-list" the only "on-list" receiver is the FN made FNFAL receiver, which is pretty much impossible to find anyways.

As far as availability goes, Imbels are gone, they will never be imported into the US ever again. DSA is usually backordered so it might take a month or two to get your receiver, Entreprise I last heard is backordered also. Coonan is not currently making FAL receivers but they claim that they will begin production mid-2006. Century receivers are almost always available but are supposedly of extremely poor quality. Your only options (unless you find a private seller) are DSA, Entreprise, or Century.

Major Miner II
01-06-2006, 9:04 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.

Hopefully I'll have an FAL again soon.

wzupgee
01-06-2006, 9:41 AM
DSA type 2 upper receiver not on backorder. Talked to them the other day and its in stock. Still thinking about getting one, but they are much more expensive than my DSA ZM4 receiver I just picked up.

The website is www.falfiles.com

All of the above mentioned receivers are "off-list" the only "on-list" receiver is the FN made FNFAL receiver, which is pretty much impossible to find anyways.

As far as availability goes, Imbels are gone, they will never be imported into the US ever again. DSA is usually backordered so it might take a month or two to get your receiver, Entreprise I last heard is backordered also. Coonan is not currently making FAL receivers but they claim that they will begin production mid-2006. Century receivers are almost always available but are supposedly of extremely poor quality. Your only options (unless you find a private seller) are DSA, Entreprise, or Century.